Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Turbonetics Turbo a 4 or 5 Bolt Turbine Housing?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2006, 04:20 PM
rocks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Borgwarner makes some damn good turbos. I would go with it if i were you.
Old 11-06-2006, 04:22 PM
chimmike

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what is their flange style? that might become an issue.
Old 11-06-2006, 07:09 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is the info that I could gather....

BorWarner model # S258

450-600 whp
58mm compressor inducer / 79mm (w/ETT 85mm)
T3 flange

JET
Old 11-06-2006, 07:13 PM
MIAPLAYA

A 60-1 compressor wheel from Turbonetics uses a 59 mm inducer and a 76mm major diameter. What you really need is to find out what size turbine wheel it is and what trim it is...
Old 11-06-2006, 09:12 PM
NoLimit

you can not compare the BorgWarner's S series compressor's turbo's measurements directly over to a standard turbos.(although listing it with the ETT measurement shows the flow capability) It will definitely give you an idea of where the 'power band' should start, but b/c of the Extended Tip technology, you are able to flow a lot more air. (i.e. a standard 50 trim that would flow 49lbs/min, while the S200 would be over 55lbs/min)

you can get the turbine with .58, .76, or .85
he would be getting a setup fit to his setup anyhow, so the choice would be there.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:18 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by NoLimit
you can not compare the BorgWarner's S series compressor's turbo's measurements directly over to a standard turbos.(although listing it with the ETT measurement shows the flow capability) It will definitely give you an idea of where the 'power band' should start, but b/c of the Extended Tip technology, you are able to flow a lot more air. (i.e. a standard 50 trim that would flow 49lbs/min, while the S200 would be over 55lbs/min)

you can get the turbine with .58, .76, or .85
he would be getting a setup fit to his setup anyhow, so the choice would be there.
Fit by who? Do you have the compressor map for this unit? What is the flow potential of the turbine? What is the exducer size? Major diameter?
Old 11-06-2006, 09:19 PM
NoLimit

Not many people seem to know about these turbos, but they've been around for a bit. They just don't advertise like some of the other companies, .... I recall a 6.6 sec 1/4mi Z using a BorgWarner turbo!

The compressor maps with these S series turbos are sick! b/c of the Extended Tip Technology and Map Width Enhancement grooves... Basically, we're going to get into the conversation of "area under the curves!!"

an S200 vs and older 'green' map:

Last edited by NoLimit; 11-06-2006 at 09:21 PM.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:20 PM
MIAPLAYA

Not many people seem to know about these turbos, but they've been around for a bit. They just don't advertise like some of the other companies, .... I recall a 6.6 sec 1/4 Z using a BorgWarner turbo!

The compressor maps with these S series turbos are sick! b/c of the Extended Tip Technology and Map Width Enhancement grooves... Basically, we're going to get into the conversation of "area under the curves!!"

an S200 vs and older 'green' map:

Super now do you have a compressor map for the unit he is looking at?
Old 11-06-2006, 09:23 PM
NoLimit

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
Fit by who? Do you have the compressor map for this unit? What is the flow potential of the turbine? What is the exducer size? Major diameter?
the guys at Bullseye can fit almost Any needs...... this really isn't rocket science when you have the capability to make stainless steel turbine housing to fit whatever...
So I guess to answer your questions, one would ask, ... what do you want?
Old 11-06-2006, 09:26 PM
NoLimit

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
Super now do you have a compressor map for the unit he is looking at?
that's supposed to be a 50 trim, ... what HP potential is JET looking for? 550? 600?

edit: Am I sensing some kind of Hostility or what?? As I figured on this board, ... if you don't suck <0ck and swing from someones *****, you get no credit for anything....
Old 11-06-2006, 09:31 PM
NoLimit

I'll email to get a few of the S200 series compressor maps so we can see...
Old 11-06-2006, 09:33 PM
MIAPLAYA

that's supposed to be a 50 trim, ... what HP potential is JET looking for? 550? 600?

edit: Am I sensing some kind of Hostility or what?? As I figured on this board, ... if you don't suck <0ck and swing from someones *****, you get no credit for anything....
Take it as you will. I'm asking quite simply do you have a compressor chart for the turbo he is looking at? S258 to be exact. Its not rocket science to read what we are looking for and respond as to whether you have the data or not. And just for clarification what does having the ability to fab your own turbine housing have to do with the turbine trim, size, or anything else. If you are going to post that a turbo is good for him can you please post the data for the turbo itself. He is welcome to get whatever turbo he wants but if it was me I'd like to at least see what I'm getting in some form other then your opinion.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:35 PM
MIAPLAYA

I'll email to get a few of the S200 series compressor maps so we can see...
Great post them when you get them.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:39 PM
NoLimit

I really have no opinion or anything to gain either way....
I just like to show other options to people, ... that's why I had PM'd him a few days ago....

The point with the turbine housing is simple, ... it's being made to fit an application, and can be assembled as such. So does he want something comparable to the turbo that comes with the TN kit? but can just flow more air?
If so, I thought the BorgWarner turbos may fit the bill.....
Old 11-06-2006, 09:45 PM
MIAPLAYA

I really have no opinion or anything to gain either way....
I just like to show other options to people, ... that's why I had PM'd him a few days ago....

The point with the turbine housing is simple, ... it's being made to fit an application, and can be assembled as such. So does he want something comparable to the turbo that comes with the TN kit? but can just flow more air?
If so, I thought the BorgWarner turbos may fit the bill.....
I didn't say you have anything to gain. You are saying this turbo will flow more then the 60-1 compressor and Stage V turbine. The only data I have on the S258 is that it can flow to 600 HP. So can a 62-1. A 60-1 can flow to 570. But again if we are looking for a better turbo that is available now, then lets find it the right way. Lets look at compressor charts, flow ratios, and bolt up potential. I'm glad they can make the turbine housing fit his application. But what turbine will be inside that housing? T3? T4? P trim, S trim, F trim, Q trim, What is the flow rate of the compressor? What is the peak efficiency at the pressure ratio he plans to run? Where does it plot for efficiency at the flow rate he needs? What kind of lag are we looking at? If he is going to look for a replacement wouldn't published data be the best way to make his choice? At this point its up to him what he buys. But he should do his research before he spends his money. Without the exact details of what he is getting he might as well close his eyes and point at a turbo list. BTW does this unit use a ball bearing center section? Is it a wet or dry bearing?
Old 11-06-2006, 09:54 PM
NoLimit

Right! That's why I already asked what he plans, or wants, to get from an upgraded turbo. B/c without knowing that, one wouldn't be able to suggest any combination except their own ideas....

so.... JET, what do you want?
Old 11-06-2006, 09:59 PM
MIAPLAYA

Oh and as an FYI their "Map Width Enhancement Grooves" are fancy terms for ported shrouds which a lot of turbo manufacturers have been using for years. The type of shroud they used in the pic on that site is typical of the diesel units Turbonetics produces. Pic here from the older HP76 turbo using the same "Map Width Enhancement Groove... There are newer ways to do the same thing that are more efficient for these types of applications. The GT-K turbos use this new type of porting, so does HKS...pics of that..

HKS:

Turbonetics GT-K:

Older style ported shroud from Ford 7.3L Diesel upgrade below..
Attached Thumbnails Turbonetics Turbo a 4 or 5 Bolt Turbine Housing?-portedshroud.jpg  

Last edited by MIAPLAYA; 11-06-2006 at 10:02 PM.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:01 PM
MIAPLAYA

Right! That's why I already asked what he plans, or wants, to get from an upgraded turbo. B/c without knowing that, one wouldn't be able to suggest any combination except their own ideas....

so.... JET, what do you want?
I think he stated before he wants 550 RWHP and wants it to make power till redline.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:07 PM
NoLimit

how about I just post the facts when I get them.
until then it is all speculation....

I will also be able to post a comparison of these turbos vs a couple others on a boosted NSX, ... possibly a VQ as well.
Old 11-06-2006, 10:09 PM
MIAPLAYA

how about I just post the facts when I get them.
until then it is all speculation....

I will also be able to post a comparison of these turbos vs a couple others on a boosted NSX, ... possibly a VQ as well.
That would be good. A compressor chart would be best...If you can get turbine efficiency charts that would be awesome too.

Quick Reply: Turbonetics Turbo a 4 or 5 Bolt Turbine Housing?