Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

CFM Calculations

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2006, 03:14 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you look atthe GT3582 it is right in the sweetspot. So why would this TC not work?

JET
Old 11-07-2006, 03:14 PM
atlsupdawg#2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
I double checked my calculations. I still get this....

My lb/min calculations are 33.7 lbs/min @ 15psi @ 6600rpm with a pressure ratio of 2.0

I calculated 80%.... so my calculations are in the ballpark of yours.

JET
Cool, I added a bit to the efficiency because you're running a turbo which bumps that percentage up anyway compared to N/A..
Old 11-07-2006, 03:15 PM
JETPILOT

100%... ok recalculating!!

JET
Old 11-07-2006, 03:16 PM
MIAPLAYA

Guys the VQ35DE is 100% V(e). In fact with cam timing it could run even more then that. The SAE white papers quote 100% Ve
Old 11-07-2006, 03:18 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by atlsupdawg#2
Cool, I added a bit to the efficiency because you're running a turbo which bumps that percentage up anyway compared to N/A..
Exactly and keep in mind both that boost is being added so the CFM output will increase AND think about it this way. On most compressor maps with a 100% Ve motor you can calculate CHP worth of air by multiplying the Mass flow by 10. So if you are saying its 33 lb/min you are telling me at 15 PSI and 6600 rpms the turbo is only producing 330 HP worth of air. Which is WAY low.
Old 11-07-2006, 03:19 PM
JETPILOT

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
Guys the VQ35DE is 100% V(e). In fact with cam timing it could run even more then that. The SAE white papers quote 100% Ve
Sir.... you are a bounty of knowledge and an asset to this forum.

JET
Old 11-07-2006, 03:20 PM
JETPILOT

OK.... I see we are in the 42 lb/min range now.

JET
Old 11-07-2006, 03:21 PM
MIAPLAYA

Sir.... you are a bounty of knowledge and an asset to this forum.

JET
Happy to help
Old 11-07-2006, 03:22 PM
MIAPLAYA

OK.... I see we are in the 42 lb/min range now.

JET
Thats better... although you have to take all these calculations with a grain of salt too. At 15 PSI you may be making much more then 420. Hell at 13 PSI you are making 458 HP. Its not going to be exact but you can get a pretty good idea of what you will be at...
Old 11-07-2006, 03:24 PM
JETPILOT

You.... are a pimp!!!! All this and your probably still not yet at full brain calculating capacity seeing that pic of you in the car in Vegas!!! I wish you well in your journey to recovery.

JET
Old 11-07-2006, 03:26 PM
MIAPLAYA

You.... are a pimp!!!! All this and your probably still not yet at full brain calculating capacity seeing that pic of you in the car in Vegas!!! I wish you well in your journey to recovery.

JET
LOL yes the road to recovery is a long and difficult one. I just choose to intoxicate myself along the journey
Old 11-07-2006, 03:26 PM
atlsupdawg#2

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
Exactly and keep in mind both that boost is being added so the CFM output will increase AND think about it this way. On most compressor maps with a 100% Ve motor you can calculate CHP worth of air by multiplying the Mass flow by 10. So if you are saying its 33 lb/min you are telling me at 15 PSI and 6600 rpms the turbo is only producing 330 HP worth of air. Which is WAY low.
Gotcha

Good thread!!!

Last edited by atlsupdawg#2; 11-07-2006 at 03:29 PM.
Old 11-07-2006, 03:40 PM
rocks

Well let me try and explain surging with a wastegate. To small of a waste gate on a large turbo at low psi will cause boost spikes ( what i call surging correct me if i am wrong). This is why you need a larger gate on a turbo like this. If you are in the 10psi range with a 38mm gate it will spike, if you go up too say 20psi or so with the same turbo the same 38mm gate can controll it without it spiking. Its kind of wierd how it works but that as much i can get out of the research i have done on it.

The hx40 flows around 49-55 lb/min
Old 11-07-2006, 03:48 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by rocks
Well let me try and explain surging with a wastegate. To small of a waste gate on a large turbo at low psi will cause boost spikes ( what i call surging correct me if i am wrong). This is why you need a larger gate on a turbo like this. If you are in the 10psi range with a 38mm gate it will spike, if you go up too say 20psi or so with the same turbo the same 38mm gate can controll it without it spiking. Its kind of wierd how it works but that as much i can get out of the research i have done on it.

The hx40 flows around 49-55 lb/min
Meh yeah that is not surging by my definition (or others I know) but I suppose if thats what you refer to it as. To me generally speaking surging is when air is reverted back into the compressor outlet which causes the compressor to stall momentarily as the force of the air going the wrong way acts on the blades. I've also used it to define (and others have to) when a turbo is operating near the surge limit. That is that either the turbine cannot spin the compressor fast enough to produce enough CFM as the engine is demanding OR the compressor is producing MORE air then the engine can physically ingest at the given engine speed. I guess there can be several definitions but those are the ones I think are tpyically referred to as surging. Although I think the one with the turbine not being able to spin up the compressor (because of lack of exhaust gas flow or improperlly sized wheels) is also called compressor stall. What you are referring to I know as boost spiking...I am unfortunately intimately familiar with the affect a wastegates position or size can have on boost control. In all cases if the path of least resistance for the exhaust gas is through the turbine and out the downpipe no matter how big, small or spectacular the wastegate it is, it is basically worthless. On the Turbonetics kit the position was the primary culprit that has since been remedied and as such was called the "boost spike" issue. As for flow rate max flow on a 60-1 is 57 lb/min. A 62-1 compressor max flow is 65 lb/min..
Old 11-07-2006, 03:53 PM
MIAPLAYA

As an aside I don't think the compressor is as much the culprit for him as the turbine is. I'm sure the 60-1 or 62-1 for that matter will flow more then enough for his power needs. The key is finding a turbine size, trim, and housing A/R that will be capable of flowing the amount of CFM being produced while still mainting a decent boost threshold (spool up time). Hence my suggestion for a T4 P Trim turbine wheel. I just don't know what size A/R would work best. No one will without dyno time to be honest. I guess he could go with a 62-1 compressor (fits into a 60-1 housing with ease) and a T4 P trim turbine and just get three different A/Rs. it comes with a .68, .81, and .96 as standard sizes. i would give those a shot if it must be done immediately.. Of course moving to a T4 will require some pipe changes to be mad. Different inlet flange for sure...You could even get the turbine housings with a v band discharge and just make the downpipe a v band flange and it would be easier to switch between them...

Last edited by MIAPLAYA; 11-07-2006 at 03:56 PM.
Old 11-07-2006, 04:06 PM
JETPILOT

Will the GT-K bolt up to the piping installed now?

JET
Old 11-07-2006, 04:26 PM
atlsupdawg#2

Originally Posted by rocks
There are 2 inherent problems with improper wastegate selection, aside from size and location.

The first is the size of the turbo and it's ability to produce max boost rather low in the rpm range. As boost is increased so is exhaust pressure, sometimes 3 times as much. This can prevent the wastegate valve from fully opening thus you run into boost spikes. This is very common on engines where the intake efficiency is far greater than the exhaust.

The second occurs when boost is so high that when the wastegate valve does open it's held there, or rather floats, bleeding off and not able to hold the preset limit. I saw/read about a lot of Supra guys running into this problem when they pushed the 30+ psi mark. The exhaust pressure and flow rate were so high that the spring simply couldn't modulate the valve efficiently to control boost.

Surging simply put is, the motor can not injest the mass flow the turbo is producing at that given RPM. This is where volumetric efficiency comes into play.
Old 11-07-2006, 06:19 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by atlsupdawg#2
There are 2 inherent problems with improper wastegate selection, aside from size and location.

The first is the size of the turbo and it's ability to produce max boost rather low in the rpm range. As boost is increased so is exhaust pressure, sometimes 3 times as much. This can prevent the wastegate valve from fully opening thus you run into boost spikes. This is very common on engines where the intake efficiency is far greater than the exhaust.

The second occurs when boost is so high that when the wastegate valve does open it's held there, or rather floats, bleeding off and not able to hold the preset limit. I saw/read about a lot of Supra guys running into this problem when they pushed the 30+ psi mark. The exhaust pressure and flow rate were so high that the spring simply couldn't modulate the valve efficiently to control boost.

Surging simply put is, the motor can not injest the mass flow the turbo is producing at that given RPM. This is where volumetric efficiency comes into play.
All true except surging can also be when the throttle plate is closed and there is nowhere for the compressed air to go except back into the compressor wheel which causes the wheel to temporarily stall (surge)..
Old 11-07-2006, 06:55 PM
JETPILOT

HEY !!! Will the GT-K bolt up to the piping installed now?

JET
Old 11-07-2006, 07:08 PM
gNaRKiLL

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob...o_tech103.html

This is very well written and when done right comes out with very usable numbers, although you might already be using it.

Quick Reply: CFM Calculations