Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Full Stand-alone for RB Swap

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006, 10:10 AM
gNaRKiLL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the actual cost of the kit from je imports?
Old 11-16-2006, 10:47 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by InjectedPerf
8 alarm channels, 10 internal channels, 2 warning outputs for external warning lights, and lap time. Side button switches between 3 user defined maps (practice, warmup, and race). Per map I believe you can have 5 parameters + rpm or mph (user preference). Display is also back lit with two distinguished colors (red - warning and green- gearshift).
Thats fantastic.... Now if I could only find where I put that $15,000 I had yesterday
Old 11-16-2006, 10:50 AM
InjectedPerf
Sponsor
Injected Performance

No where near that Motec ADL is $4k last time I checked. I think the Marelli goes for under $2,500.

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
Thats fantastic.... Now if I could only find where I put that $15,000 I had yesterday
Old 11-16-2006, 10:52 AM
MIAPLAYA

No where near that Motec ADL is $4k last time I checked. I think the Marelli goes for under $2,500.
Yeah I know. But before I really need something that inclusive and powerful I would need a fully built motor a GT-K 1000 and 40+ PSI of boost. The othre $12,500 might help a little with that.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:06 AM
widebody350

Injected..how much for the AEM EMS?
Old 11-16-2006, 11:09 AM
InjectedPerf
Sponsor
Injected Performance

haha. I definately know a place to mount that GT-K 1000 turbo (hint hint). Tell your boys to send me one and I will test it out

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
Yeah I know. But before I really need something that inclusive and powerful I would need a fully built motor a GT-K 1000 and 40+ PSI of boost. The othre $12,500 might help a little with that.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:11 AM
InjectedPerf
Sponsor
Injected Performance

With AIT and 3.5 or 5.0 bar MAP sensor $1879.

Originally Posted by widebody350
Injected..how much for the AEM EMS?
Old 11-16-2006, 11:11 AM
MIAPLAYA

haha. I definately know a place to mount that GT-K 1000 turbo (hint hint). Tell your boys to send me one and I will test it out
LOL after our conversation at SEMA I think you need something even bigger then that... Y2K cough cough hack. Did you ever shoot Dave Austin your requirements? Give Reggie a call and see what they can do for you...
Old 11-16-2006, 02:45 PM
meatbag

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Have any pics of the pieces you got from JE Imports?
Old 11-16-2006, 04:15 PM
widebody350

JE hasn't finalized their production pieces yet. I'm guessing that will be done in a month or so. I am just figuring EMS and other things out now as well as getting the engine now so that I can mod/plan for when it is ready to go in the car. I have found a couple of engines and only one tranny (I want to use the RB25). A lot of the importers I have talked to say that they won't be getting a shipment in until January.
Old 11-16-2006, 06:53 PM
002-M-P

Yeah actually getting the rb26 is probably the hardest task of all. Now that I have looked more into everything I think I want to brush up on my welding skills and do all the fabrications myself. Maybe even take one of the 5-day welding classes that lincoln gives for motorsports welding. It would be a good thing to do anyway. But anyway...

I picked up that issue of Turbo mag today with the rb26 g35 that JE did and it fit awesome. Some notes I picked up on though. They didn't have to make a completely custom intake manifold, all they did was take a greddy manifold and cut and weld parts of the inlet to the throttle body and possible shaved down some other sections and rewelded aluminum sheet in place. With that said though, if you watch the rb26 z33 video on youtube carefully you see some things that are different from the JE install, such as the use of the factory manifold and being able to fit to 2571 turbos on the drivers side. If you can fit 2 of those turbos over there i don't know why a custom exhaust manifold is necessary for the single turbo. It seems like the turbo is mounted about the same distance from the engine as most aftermarket gtr setups, but this is just speculation from pictures and video.

I am very interested to see what the custom subframe/motor mounts look like though...and almost more interested to know how the shifter lines up and how the tranny is mounted. The other main thing I was curious about is the RB26 w/ RB25 tranny weight compared to that of the VQ35 with its tranny.

The main issue with weight people think of is making it towards the center of the car...and it seems that it would shift foward slightly because of a heavier and longer engine. But you also want to keep the weigh low. If you look at the video of the rb26 350z. the top of the valve cover is a good 4-6 inches below the factory strut brace...which as we all know is much lower than the vq sits comparatively. Also the mass is more centered over the centerline going down the car, which is a plus. So I'm wonder if the added weight is really as big of an issue as some people make it out to be. Just something to strike some thoughts.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:35 PM
Zexy

I'm waiting for JE as well to come through.

In a couple of days i'll be leakdown testing my motor to see if it needs a rebuild or not.
Old 11-16-2006, 07:39 PM
widebody350

Leakdown testing an RB or VQ? I think the JE intake manifold will be a modified Greddy or very similar. I am interested in why the custom exhaust manifolds are needed?-good point there. I will admit that my first priority is to get the motor in and working then I will start to play with options in there. Like I said before I'd like to stick with twins but if the GT-K turbos live up to the hype then that becomes a very viable option. The RB motor/tranny does weigh more but you also have to add in the weight of the turbos. To compare the RB to a non-turboed VQ is relatively unfair. Surely the RB will still weigh more since it has an iron block though. I don't think that the RB will effect handling a whole lot since a good portion of the weight will be as low or lower than the VQ.

Last edited by widebody350; 11-16-2006 at 07:49 PM.
Old 11-16-2006, 08:19 PM
Zexy

Leakdown testing an RB or VQ? I think the JE intake manifold will be a modified Greddy or very similar. I am interested in why the custom exhaust manifolds are needed?-good point there. I will admit that my first priority is to get the motor in and working then I will start to play with options in there. Like I said before I'd like to stick with twins but if the GT-K turbos live up to the hype then that becomes a very viable option. The RB motor/tranny does weigh more but you also have to add in the weight of the turbos. To compare the RB to a non-turboed VQ is relatively unfair. Surely the RB will still weigh more since it has an iron block though. I don't think that the RB will effect handling a whole lot since a good portion of the weight will be as low or lower than the VQ.

RB26

I think the weight distribution issue is overrated. The Esprit Z33 with the RB26 motor was a champ on the corners without any cutting of the firewall. After doing tons and months of research i still have not even found a reliable source on comparison weight on both longblocks. As long as the motor is placed as farthest back as possible and low, i think it'll be fine.

On second though i have had the owner from south florida of the RBed 350z that cornering has changed dramatically IMO he over-exaggerates.
Old 11-16-2006, 09:09 PM
002-M-P

yeah i too have search for a long time to find the weight info on the rb and have had no luck....some guy weighed some parts on a bathroom scale, but that motor has a whole bunch of aftermarket stuff and it Was a bathroom scale...so needless to say its hard to trust those numbers.
Old 11-16-2006, 11:53 PM
DSport G35

Originally Posted by 002-M-P
Here is that Power FC Datalogger I was talking about...called FC-Datalogit... http://www.fc-datalogit.co.nz/fc-datalogit.html

The Power FC will be nowhere near as powerful as the Motec M600 or the AEM EMS, but it is still an option that is very widely used on GTR's around the world.
Our DSport Skyline R33 uses the Power FC and FC Datalogger and we're making over 900hp. It's the first RH9(9-Second 1/4mile) GTR in the country. The power FC is an excellent EMS. It is a full standalone, replaces the factory ECU, and offers full control over the engine. The handheld commander is also very nice to have, you can view everything that's going on, incluing engine temperatures. On top of all that the price is very affordable. Wish they made it for the VQ.
Old 11-17-2006, 03:28 AM
widebody350

Zexy...where did you get your RB from if you don't mind me asking? The guy from south Florida might also not want other people to put an RB in the 350Z so that is always a possibility for his exaggeration.

Last edited by widebody350; 11-17-2006 at 03:38 AM.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:24 AM
002-M-P

Originally Posted by DSport G35
Our DSport Skyline R33 uses the Power FC and FC Datalogger and we're making over 900hp. It's the first RH9(9-Second 1/4mile) GTR in the country. The power FC is an excellent EMS. It is a full standalone, replaces the factory ECU, and offers full control over the engine. The handheld commander is also very nice to have, you can view everything that's going on, incluing engine temperatures. On top of all that the price is very affordable. Wish they made it for the VQ.
I have heard they are discontinuing it actually to replace it with something else. At least thats the rumors floating around skylinesaustalia.com

...and just incase someone hasn't seen the video on youtube I was refering to...its the Esprit Z33 with the RB... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY4mXvWKUqI

...and here are pics of another one...
http://clubs.engr.arizona.edu/sae/JG...350Z%20(1).htm
http://clubs.engr.arizona.edu/sae/JG...350Z%20(2).htm

Last edited by 002-M-P; 11-17-2006 at 06:59 AM.
Old 11-17-2006, 06:59 AM
Zexy

Zexy...where did you get your RB from if you don't mind me asking? The guy from south Florida might also not want other people to put an RB in the 350Z so that is always a possibility for his exaggeration.

+1 That's what i have been thinking. He's lied about more things.

I got it from japanese engines inc in New Jersey.
http://www.jdmenginesinc.com/

The most reputable seller you can go with it Jarco Inc. though. I felt lucky i got an engine elsewhere that seems in good condition. Like i said i still gotta get the leakdown done so we'll see how that goes.
Old 11-17-2006, 07:33 AM
002-M-P

Originally Posted by Zexy
+1 That's what i have been thinking. He's lied about more things.

I got it from japanese engines inc in New Jersey.
http://www.jdmenginesinc.com/

The most reputable seller you can go with it Jarco Inc. though. I felt lucky i got an engine elsewhere that seems in good condition. Like i said i still gotta get the leakdown done so we'll see how that goes.

These are the guys (jazz pro parts) I was looking at when I was contemplating the 240sx swap and are the first place I plan on asking. They sell the RB26dett engine w/ rb25 tranny combo. I wonder how reputable they are? http://www.jazzproparts.com/ProductD...th+RB25+Tranny

You heard anything about them Zexy?

Quick Reply: Full Stand-alone for RB Swap