Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Bad Night, DEATH, The END, she's done. BOOM! 20+ psi error!

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2006, 07:07 AM
davidv

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The photos make me cringe. All this technical talk is way over my head, but still I feel your pain.
Old 11-23-2006, 08:02 AM
mraturbo
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Audible Mayhem
8 psi spike is crazy.... i think something else might be a factor here.

i really dont understand why many people are pushing their stock motors and running boost controllers on the TN kit, i mean the tq levels are already high and i am crazy about pushing the limits.
I agree, we don't even install boost controllers with ANY kits on stock motors even when the customer supplies them UNLESS the car is strictly for racing and ONLY on Race Fuel.

Sorry for the loss, let us know if we can assist.

M
Old 11-23-2006, 08:11 AM
MIAPLAYA

Ouch that sucks. But I have to back Craig on this. Last I heard from ipcheck he (a) modified the wastegate setup on the kit and then (b) did some kind of custom wastegate setup on the car as well with a wastegate on the passenger side also or something. And he was running 12 PSI. Different intercooler, the list goes on. This is by no means an out of box failure. ipcheck hacked this kit to bits and did his own thing. Oh and with the dump tube like that I'd worry about burning through the wastegate signal used to open the wastegate. In fact I warned him of that when he was telling me all this work he was doing. I told him to make sure the wastegate discharge was no where near pointing at the signal line to the unit or kaboom.
Old 11-23-2006, 09:29 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check for loose or melted vaccum lines...20psi probably means that your signal line was not functioning/removed/melted.
Either that..or a wastegate stuck closed.
Old 11-23-2006, 09:30 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I feel your pain man, this is unfortunate. What are the plans now?
Old 11-23-2006, 09:38 AM
skidmarq

I'm sorry to hear about that, absolutely unfortunate...would make me sick!

Not sure about your future plans, and whether you are going to keep your current kit, but there are some good kits up in the Marketplace. Brand new PE, APS (just happens to be mine, hehe), and a slightly used Greddy if you decide to go that route...
Old 11-23-2006, 11:06 AM
ipcheck

FIRST OFF TO CLEAR.

Wastegate was not out of box, it all has been modified. relocated (not TN), and yes atmosphere dump. Turbonetics has absolutely no fault on this. Its all me, the main vacum feed from the compressor to GATE cracked open, that was the lead to peak over 20+ psi, and trust me the turbo spools 20 just fine. The different setup on my gate (TAURRAN) was not on the car last night, nevertheless, the gate is not mounted as it comes to be on the TN kit...

What happened....

I got a 12.9 @ 117, spun first, 2nd and a bit of third, but when i shifted to fourth, it detonated, i let off, and still got a 12.9

then, on the 2nd run, the burnout was different for some reason (vacum line was cracked by then), the blow off was way too long and loud. meaning, I must have peaked boost on 1st when burning out, then right on the end of 2nd the wideband showed 14.5 lol, and 20+ psi and rising, then I panic and as soon as I let off the gas, boom.... cloud of smoke....... pieces hitting track floor.....

Temperature was 39 or 40+ I believe, I noticed this morning when removing the engine that the vacum line from the turbo to wastegate was cracked right open, that caused the 20+ psi.

Guys for now, I'm putting a stock engine in, and this blown one is going to get blasted with goodies... Will post more info when the pain passes...

Last edited by ipcheck; 11-23-2006 at 11:08 AM.
Old 11-23-2006, 11:30 AM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

how are you going to do something with the blown one? it looks like it has a hole in the block
Old 11-23-2006, 11:35 AM
westpak
SFZCC

Originally Posted by doug
how are you going to do something with the blown one? it looks like it has a hole in the block
Well the hole loks like onthe upper oil pan, so it will depend on the condition of the rest of the block when he takes it apart.

Sorry to hear of the failure, good luck.
Old 11-23-2006, 11:36 AM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ipcheck
FIRST OFF TO CLEAR.

Wastegate was not out of box, it all has been modified. relocated (not TN), and yes atmosphere dump. Turbonetics has absolutely no fault on this. Its all me, the main vacum feed from the compressor to GATE cracked open, that was the lead to peak over 20+ psi, and trust me the turbo spools 20 just fine. The different setup on my gate (TAURRAN) was not on the car last night, nevertheless, the gate is not mounted as it comes to be on the TN kit...

What happened....

I got a 12.9 @ 117, spun first, 2nd and a bit of third, but when i shifted to fourth, it detonated, i let off, and still got a 12.9

then, on the 2nd run, the burnout was different for some reason (vacum line was cracked by then), the blow off was way too long and loud. meaning, I must have peaked boost on 1st when burning out, then right on the end of 2nd the wideband showed 14.5 lol, and 20+ psi and rising, then I panic and as soon as I let off the gas, boom.... cloud of smoke....... pieces hitting track floor.....

Temperature was 39 or 40+ I believe, I noticed this morning when removing the engine that the vacum line from the turbo to wastegate was cracked right open, that caused the 20+ psi.

Guys for now, I'm putting a stock engine in, and this blown one is going to get blasted with goodies... Will post more info when the pain passes...
Just interested.... can you post pictures of how the wastegate was mounted? Or describe it?

Does the cracked signal line also account for the overboosting you reported back in April?

JET
Old 11-23-2006, 12:16 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
Just interested.... can you post pictures of how the wastegate was mounted? Or describe it?

Does the cracked signal line also account for the overboosting you reported back in April?

JET
No he posted in April that the reason he was over boosting was the flex pipe he has attached to his wastegate discharge. He was still dumping to atmosphere but the flex pipe was so pinched out of proportion the exhaust gas was not able to discharge out of the pipe which mean the wastegate wasn't able to control boost. He posted a very long thread about this.
Old 11-23-2006, 02:03 PM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

im sorry but if that rod was spinning around in there not attached to a piston like its supposed to be, i dont think that the hole in the upper pan is the only damage.

good luck, still might have to get a bare block but thats only the beginning of your costs....
Old 11-23-2006, 07:48 PM
ipcheck

This so FAR, replacing with stock VQ for now....

No i didn't use a cherry picker, i picked it off there myself, will buy a cherry picker to install new engine though =(
Old 11-23-2006, 08:14 PM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

damn you move fast
Old 11-24-2006, 12:32 AM
priscilla ls1

Originally Posted by doug
damn you move fast
Just what I was going to say!
Thats the spirit! Keep it up.
Old 11-24-2006, 04:16 AM
Beldugo562

He Mike you forgot to tell them that you ran a 16 sec run when that happened lol What a long night that day sucked !!!
Old 11-24-2006, 04:57 AM
captj3

That's the fastest motor swap I've seen. That's the spirit.
Old 11-24-2006, 07:29 AM
350Z_LEE

Sucks, but now you can start fresh and build a beast.
Old 11-24-2006, 07:44 AM
kostat26

damn dude that sucks now im scared to install my turbo...
Old 11-24-2006, 07:52 AM
350zDCalb
Sponsor
builtZmotors

Woh! You didnt waste any time! Good job!

Quick Reply: Bad Night, DEATH, The END, she's done. BOOM! 20+ psi error!