Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

turbonetics question

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 08:38 PM
kaminariZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default turbonetics question

Hi everyone, i'm looking into going FI, and i just wanted to ask some questions. i'm set on buying the turbonetics kit, and am going to buy the stage 2 version. first off, whats the difficulty level of installing this kit. can i do it on jack stands or ramps? i also have access to a lift, so its not a problem if it is very necessary to use a lift. do the bolts require air wrenches to remove, or can they be knocked loose with rubber mallets and hand wrenches (car only has 7000 miles and never driven in rain)? also, what boost pressure/whp can my stock block handle with the turbonetics kit as a daily driver (what would you recommend is safe). there are some really good tuners here in chicago, so getting a good tune shouldn't be a problem. i'm aiming for at least 370whp safely, and then when more money flows i'll upgrade the internals. thanks everyone.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:45 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by kaminariZ
i'm aiming for at least 370whp safely, and then when more money flows i'll upgrade the internals.
For this power level there is absolutely no reason to wait or consider buying the future stage 2 kit. If anything, you should look at the stage 1, proposed 1.5, or tuner kits (which are more than enough for this power level).

The kit can be installed on jack stands, and I've seen it installed on Rhino ramps. It can be done with basic tools outlined in the installation instructions, and does not require air tools. A lift does help, but is not required.

Any more information on the install process can be found on numerous threads on this forum.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:36 PM
redline350ZZ

Its pretty straighforward install and theres quite a few people that have installed at home, including me so we can answer most questions on the stage 1 kit. One of the most important things you need to do is inventory every single part before you start.

Recommended add-ons:
A/F gauge-May need to weld on a O2 Bung unless you can extend the wires.
Boost Gauge
Heat wrap for the exhaust piping and manifolds if you want.
May want to replace the Oil return line with a braided line.
catch can to collect oil mist/ vapor
Dremil or something simmular as you may need to shave plastic/ metal off certain areas to get a good fitment

Just a start other people can chime in. And I did the install on jackstands and the hardest parts for me was doing the fuel pump mods and bolting the pipe to the Turbo that connects to the wastegate. Oh and Iv'e never tap'd before so I was a little nervious
Old 11-29-2006, 04:56 AM
Midnyte

You will have absolutely no problem doing the install on jacks/jackstands. I did mine the same way using some PoS hand tools in the parking lot of an apartment complex.

I also agree with you only needing the stage 1 kit. I just dyno'd my stage one kit with the utec on just the wastegate (because my boost controller was acting up) and put down 357rwhp on a DynoDynamics chasis which is ~408-410rwhp on the typical DynoJet Dyno's you see alot on this forum.
Old 11-29-2006, 05:17 AM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

am going to buy the stage 2 version. .
lol
Old 11-29-2006, 12:59 PM
kaminariZ

ok, i guess i'll just get the tuner kit then. can someone tell me exactly what else i should buy with my tuner kit? i know i need a fuel return system, but what else do i need, and what else would you recommend as optional? thanks alot

also where is the best priced tuner kit online?
Old 11-29-2006, 01:17 PM
VIZAGE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fuel injectors, fuel pump, and some type of engine management like UTEC.(with UTEC you will also need map sensor) Options, Oil pan spacer, oil return line, And maybe modified exhaust pending your situation.

Last edited by VIZAGE; 11-29-2006 at 01:21 PM.
Old 11-29-2006, 01:24 PM
kaminariZ

ok, so heres what i'm buying...

turbonetics tuner kit
CJM return fuel stage 1
rc 440cc injectors
walbro 255 fuel pump
and utec engine management.

is that all? thanks everyone.

do i need iridium spark plugs one step colder as well, or no?
Old 11-29-2006, 01:28 PM
taurran

ok, so heres what i'm buying...

turbonetics tuner kit
CJM return fuel stage 1
rc 440cc injectors
walbro 255 fuel pump
and utec engine management.

is that all? thanks everyone.

do i need iridium spark plugs one step colder as well, or no?
Sounds good. You might consider going with larger injectors for future use though (maybe 550cc).

Also, addons for utec like a map selector switch. You'll also want to look at a boost and wideband afr gauge. Another possibility is an oil pan spacer (although I'd recommend tapping the upper pan).

I'd go ahead and do one step plugs while you're in there as well.
Old 11-29-2006, 01:29 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The stage 2 is very very easy to install. Since it's an imaginary kit you will need whatever tools you imagine you will need. You can sit in your living room in your easy chair watching football and imagine you are installing the imaginary stage 2 kit. You can imagine you are installing the kit with nekked supermodels, and Burt Reynolds grilling up some BBQ meat. Or just imagine it's installed already and you are spanking John Force in his funny car. It's also worth while to imagine the kit is free as well. No point in imagining having to pay for it is there. Enjoy!

JET

Last edited by JETPILOT; 11-29-2006 at 02:03 PM.
Old 11-29-2006, 01:32 PM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
The stage 2 is very very easy to install. Since it's an imaginary kit you will need whatever tools you imagine you will need. You can sit in your living in your easy chair watching football and imagine you are installing the imaginary stage 2 kit. You can imagine you are installing the kit with nekked supermodels, and Burt Reynolds grilling up some BBQ meat. Or just imagine it's installed already and you are spanking John Force in his funny car. It's also worth while to imagine the kit is free as well. No point in imagining having to pay for it is there. Enjoy!

JET
oh ****.. Oleg hold my beer.. i am about to fall out my chair
Old 11-29-2006, 01:33 PM
VIZAGE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 to the 550cc injectors. They do a little better on percentage of duty cycle.

Last edited by VIZAGE; 11-29-2006 at 01:38 PM.
Old 11-29-2006, 01:43 PM
Lo$t

Originally Posted by taurran
Sounds good. You might consider going with larger injectors for future use though (maybe 550cc).

Also, addons for utec like a map selector switch. You'll also want to look at a boost and wideband afr gauge. Another possibility is an oil pan spacer (although I'd recommend tapping the upper pan).

I'd go ahead and do one step plugs while you're in there as well.
+1

also wanted to say, it seems like you're going about this the right way. if you get the reflash i don't guess you'll need a UTEC, but i'd suggest getting utec and getting a good tune from a reputable shop.
Old 11-29-2006, 08:34 PM
kaminariZ

where can i get a good priced tuner kit?
Old 11-29-2006, 09:31 PM
Z PHAT Z

The stage 2 is very very easy to install. Since it's an imaginary kit you will need whatever tools you imagine you will need. You can sit in your living room in your easy chair watching football and imagine you are installing the imaginary stage 2 kit. You can imagine you are installing the kit with nekked supermodels, and Burt Reynolds grilling up some BBQ meat. Or just imagine it's installed already and you are spanking John Force in his funny car. It's also worth while to imagine the kit is free as well. No point in imagining having to pay for it is there. Enjoy!

JET
A well known member like you should hush if you don't have anything nice to say about TN. Your comments recently has been very childish. Please stop with this TN stage 2 bashing. Sorry but I gotta let it out.

Back to topic. If you gonna insall the kit yourself then you can do it now and wait later to upgrade your internal. If you pay some shops to install for you then you should wait to get everything to do it all at once. This will save you a lots of money and down time.
Old 11-29-2006, 10:31 PM
JETPILOT

Sorry.... just having some fun. Didn't mean to bash anyone.

JET
Old 11-30-2006, 01:23 AM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

JET
!!!!! FUNNY!! MEAN - But funny. They aren't the only ones that have got a new product that they've been talking about forever but still haven't shown to anyone... <looking around...>
Old 11-30-2006, 01:26 AM
taurran

Originally Posted by phunk
!!!!! FUNNY!! MEAN - But funny. They aren't the only ones that have got a new product that they've been talking about forever but still haven't shown to anyone... <looking around...>
Well, I'd assume there are good reasons for this (in both cases).
Old 11-30-2006, 01:32 AM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Originally Posted by taurran
Well, I'd assume there are good reasons for this (in both cases).
Of course.
Old 11-30-2006, 06:20 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by Z PHAT Z
A well known member like you should hush if you don't have anything nice to say about TN. Your comments recently has been very childish. Please stop with this TN stage 2 bashing. Sorry but I gotta let it out.

Back to topic. If you gonna insall the kit yourself then you can do it now and wait later to upgrade your internal. If you pay some shops to install for you then you should wait to get everything to do it all at once. This will save you a lots of money and down time.
Glad I'm not the only one that feels this way.

Quick Reply: turbonetics question