Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

anyone try the MSD Fuel Pump Voltage Booster?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 02:59 PM
Q45tech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Upping the voltage = upping the current for the same impedance winding in the motor.

Impedence is an AC term, not used with dc brush commutator motors.

On Q45 where a 3 speed dc controller is used to ground the pump, I always recommend a 3 way switch............normal, bypass controller, and center N/C as a great anti theft device. If it pops or just to diagnose easy and immediate bypass.

Last edited by Q45tech; 01-15-2007 at 03:03 PM.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:15 AM
shushikiary

^^ you are correct that it is an AC term, you are not correct that it is not used with dc motors... yes they may not "list it" but if you have an inductor, you MUST measure it's resistance as an impedance because it will change with frequency, even if you're putting a DC current through the motor (so the impedance should be the same all the time thus it's a resistance) if you are commutating at all the impedance of the winding is VERY important in the design of it. If you have too large a winding, and the impedance of it is too high and you dont have a capacative load on the commutator to reduce the overal circuits effective impedance seen in the transitory state when you change coils on the commutator, then you will wear out your commutator, among other problems, very quickly.... all resistances are impedances, but not all impedances are resistances.

Last edited by shushikiary; 01-16-2007 at 09:18 AM.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:24 AM
Skrilla

Originally Posted by MRC Motorsports
Thats a pretty funny comment about a company with over 36 years in the industry, especially comming from someone who up until 4 years ago, sold Chocolate for a living.
MSD is a very reputable company, and they would not be in business for over 30+ years if their products failed as you say they do.
MSD will be around long after you and I are gone.
http://www.msdignition.com/1msdhistory.htm
I would have to agree with Sharif...I certainly haven't been in the market for 30 years, but I can speak from experience of many with modifying hondas and my DSMs to say some MSD products have proven to be very unreliable after just short periods of time. Some of there parts have some very good warrantees but I'd rather be running my car than fixing it... I switched from MSD to crane for a lot of my parts. It's not all of their parts, but it's very frustrating diagnosing a car when the only thing wrong is the newest part you just added...it's the last thing you expect
Old 01-18-2007, 09:43 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MRC Motorsports
Thats a pretty funny comment about a company with over 36 years in the industry, especially comming from someone who up until 4 years ago, sold Chocolate for a living.
MSD is a very reputable company, and they would not be in business for over 30+ years if their products failed as you say they do.
MSD will be around long after you and I are gone.
http://www.msdignition.com/1msdhistory.htm
Julian, you really are clueless...as usual.

The manner in which you attack me is laughable. Unlike your operation, we are a 6000 sq ft FULL TIME and full service operation. Julian, you are an amateur. You are a policer officer, that moonlights as a tuner at night. You have a one bay operation, that you share with the other owner's father. You are a joke Julian, and do not critisize what we do. You are too cheap or broke, to pay the $100/month sponsorship fee, and then you sit here and attack our company on the boards....terrific business ethic. Your jealously and envy is clearly evident....please grow up.
We've been working on cars, long before you were "Daking" on the boards, and doing carshows with your horribily designed car. I still remember those days, bro...so dont make me humiliate you even more. You are the most unprofessional business person I have ever seen.

Anyone that has ever tuned a domestic or import cars, knows that MSD ignition products are unreliable. Whether the voltage booster is unreliable, remains to be seen...I am just leary of MSD products.

I have been doing my best to ignore you, Julian. Enough is enough.