Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

I need help in choosing a BOV

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2007, 12:11 PM
MIAPLAYA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by S1AMEZE
MIAPLAYA - Given that you personally don't like the HKS SSQV, why do you feel it necessary to punch on eveyone who's got something to say in favor of the unit? I'm sure the TN BOV is great. I'm also positive that there are BOV's (Apexi, TiAL, TurboXS, TN, GReddy, etc.) that may perform better when comparing apples to apples, but it seems as though anyone who states any sort of opinion otherwise is open for your debate.

No offense, but lighten up...

For the record: I ran the HKS SSQV with my GReddy TT and loved it. As many have stated, at the boost levels that most of us are running it's more than enough. If you're running 16+ psi, then I'd personnally recommend a TiAL unit. But that's just my OPINION.
Explain to me how I'm "punching" everyone who has something to say in favor of the HKS SSQV. Read my other post
Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
For those who like it, great, more power to you though. Its your car and in the end if you are happy with it thats all that matters.
Why don't you "lighten up". Unless something has changed this is a car forum open to public and any ones post is open to any ones debate. Just because I don't like something does that mean I can't debate that there are better options? Who are you the BOV personal opinion Gestapo? I guess no one should post their personal opinion any time you might be viewing a thread.

Last edited by MIAPLAYA; 02-15-2007 at 12:16 PM.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:19 PM
priscilla ls1

Define "performance". A valve opening to relieve pressure caused by the throttle closing is performance. It doesn't matter if its one or two. If you have an Apexi and HKS they are both "performing" they just both sounds different and one will flow more then the other..
When I said ''performance'' I ment better flow rate. The A'pexi one will flow better and then get the HKS one for a little added flow and some sound.

Actually all things remaining equal two valves would be less loud then one alone as the air is now exitting from two valves at the same time which reduces the work and therefore noise created by the other..
+1

Last edited by priscilla ls1; 02-15-2007 at 12:23 PM.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:26 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by priscilla ls1
When I said ''performance'' I ment better flow rate. The A'pexi one will flow better and then get the HKS one for a little added flow and some sound.

+1
I guess my point is that if you did this you wouldn't get the very loud sound of the HKS SSQV as its sharing airflow with the Apexi Twin Chamber. Assuming the Apexi Twin Chamber flows more then the HKS you will see even less then half the airflow exiting from the HKS as air will take the path of least resistance to exit. I just don't think you'll get what you are expecting to.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:27 PM
bboypuertoroc

Received 2,448 Likes on 1,769 Posts

Damn... never thought I'd see the day when people start fighting over BOVs.

Like MIA said, putting more than one valve on is gonna take away from the sound, so using 2 different valves will be pointless. Even if you're doing one for "performance" and the other for "sound" you might as well get 2 of the same for the "sound" since it will now flow double of what it used to (which is more than enough for the amount of boost being pushed for ~90% of the boosted Z/G's here).

OT... MIA, how much can the Raptor flow? I got one on my Evo right now and I'll be pushing 28-30psi here in the near future (alky injection)... will the Raptor be able to flow enough? I'm a bit worried since it's only a 38mm valve. I'm thinking of stepping up to the TiAL but if I don't have to, I not gonna (I like the sound of the Raptor).

Last edited by bboypuertoroc; 02-15-2007 at 12:29 PM.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:29 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by bboypuertoroc

Like MIA said, putting more than one valve on is gonna take away from the sound, so using 2 different valves will be pointless. Even if you're doing one for "performance" and the other for "sound" you might as well get 2 of the same for the "sound" since it will now flow double of what it used to (which is more than enough for the amount of boost being pushed for ~90% of the boosted Z/G's here).
BOV arguments are pretty standard as most people judge a valve based on their opinion of the sound it makes. Like wheels or any other cosmetic mod the sound is 100% subjective to your tastes...
Old 02-15-2007, 12:38 PM
priscilla ls1

I guess my point is that if you did this you wouldn't get the very loud sound of the HKS SSQV as its sharing airflow with the Apexi Twin Chamber. Assuming the Apexi Twin Chamber flows more then the HKS you will see even less then half the airflow exiting from the HKS as air will take the path of least resistance to exit. I just don't think you'll get what you are expecting to.

MIA I guess more of my point is how do you know what sound I am going for? Maybe I want a more quieter SSQV sound.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:40 PM
bboypuertoroc

Maybe I want a more quieter SSQV sound.
You can always change out the fins... can't remember which is the quietest of them though.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:51 PM
priscilla ls1

You can always change out the fins... can't remember which is the quietest of them though.
Yeah but changing out the fins wont make it flow any better another valve will help release more pressure, And it will make the SSQV quieter Taking out 2 birds with one stone.
Old 02-15-2007, 12:56 PM
bboypuertoroc

Yeah but changing out the fins wont make it flow any better another valve will help release more pressure, And it will make the SSQV quieter Taking out 2 birds with one stone.
Very true. But definately go with two of the same. Like I said before, it's gonna flow twice as good. It won't look right with mixed BOVs. Unless you plan on hiding one.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:03 PM
MIAPLAYA

MIA I guess more of my point is how do you know what sound I am going for? Maybe I want a more quieter SSQV sound.
I don't know exactly what you are going for... I'm just providing whatever facts i can...
Old 02-15-2007, 01:05 PM
priscilla ls1

Very true. But definately go with two of the same. Like I said before, it's gonna flow twice as good. It won't look right with mixed BOVs. Unless you plan on hiding one.

I am hiding one, one for under hood and one before the IC.
Old 02-15-2007, 01:09 PM
bboypuertoroc

Oh, OK.
Old 02-15-2007, 03:15 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ROFL....+1
Old 02-15-2007, 04:09 PM
maximumsportZ

So, should I be fine with one HKS SSQV BOV and pushing 18psi ? What do you guys think?
Old 02-15-2007, 04:16 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by maximumsportZ
So, should I be fine with one HKS SSQV BOV and pushing 18psi ? What do you guys think?
My personal opinion is no. But then again we don't know what the flow rate of that valve is.
Old 02-16-2007, 06:10 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by maximumsportZ
HKS tells me that 15-16psi is the comfortable limit of that valve, but airflow is more critical than pressure, so with two turbochargers, the limit might be lower than that.
Old 02-16-2007, 06:14 AM
002-M-P

I would also say 18psi is to high for the SSQV, especiall when running two turbos on a 3.5L motor. I would say either two SSQV's, one HKS Racing Type II, Tial 50mm...not sure if they still make it, but Greddy Racing, etc.
Old 02-16-2007, 06:17 AM
r0mey
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by rxkevin
HKS is far from quiet heh.

I like the Greddy Type RS. It isn't too loud, and it has a nice flutter to it.
+1