Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Vq37hr-vvel

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2007, 02:17 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bghoward
Not according to the wikipedia link. At least not the VVTL-i:

It looks like the VVTL-i only has two steps in lift and duration.

Anyways Toyota has now ceased production of its VVTL-i engines for most markets, because the engine does not meet Euro IV specifications for emissions.

It'll be interesting to see the AVTEC but it doesn't go into production models for at least 2-3 more years, so Nissan still has the lead in this regard.

Alright, I may have just skimmed it, I'll admit I was wrong. Regardless, I'm not all that impressed by this "innovation". No longer will you be able to swap out camshafts to modify intake profile to your liking. Sure in a stock car it's great, but in a modified one? Forget it. Trying to crack the ECU to alter the lift and duration would be quite a treat. Just one more thing now controlled by electronics that can malfunction.
Old 03-30-2007, 03:55 PM
Resolute

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BriGuyMax
Alright, I may have just skimmed it, I'll admit I was wrong. Regardless, I'm not all that impressed by this "innovation". No longer will you be able to swap out camshafts to modify intake profile to your liking. Sure in a stock car it's great, but in a modified one? Forget it. Trying to crack the ECU to alter the lift and duration would be quite a treat. Just one more thing now controlled by electronics that can malfunction.
I would agree that that would suck. But that's not the case. First, it's hydraulic actuated by a solenoid. It's not that tough to figure out how to alter it, since just replacing the jackshaft would yield a more aggressive end profile. Of course, 11mm of lift and 300 deg duration is pretty aggressive as it is. Controlling the solenoid is, of course, an ECU function- but Nissan has already released the ECU to several aftermarket firms. Aftermarket support is one of the appeals of the GT-R, and it seems Nissan is not about to diminish that. The ability to run a very aggressive cam, with perfect idle is always nice. But, with this set-up, the potential is there to have an incredible powerband not seen on a typical cammed car- even with the old VTEC, Neo VVL, VarioCam Plus, etc... because volumetric efficiency can be kept at a maximum throughout the rev range with little compromise that high lift/long duration cams offer. I think you might be surprised at what will become of this. The ECU release was reported in that link I posted earlier if you want to read more.
Will
Old 03-30-2007, 04:01 PM
nismology1

Anyone who thinks this technology isn't impressive is foolish. BMW is the only other automaker in the world with such a system (Valvetronic) and nissan/infiniti's is superior. Eliminating the need for a conventional throttle body controlled system is/was the next big step in internal combustion engine technology.
Old 03-30-2007, 04:12 PM
NoLimit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Resolute
I would agree that that would suck. But that's not the case. First, it's hydraulic actuated by a solenoid. It's not that tough to figure out how to alter it, since just replacing the jackshaft would yield a more aggressive end profile. Of course, 11mm of lift and 300 deg duration is pretty aggressive as it is. Controlling the solenoid is, of course, an ECU function- but Nissan has already released the ECU to several aftermarket firms. Aftermarket support is one of the appeals of the GT-R, and it seems Nissan is not about to diminish that. The ability to run a very aggressive cam, with perfect idle is always nice. But, with this set-up, the potential is there to have an incredible powerband not seen on a typical cammed car- even with the old VTEC, Neo VVL, VarioCam Plus, etc... because volumetric efficiency can be kept at a maximum throughout the rev range with little compromise that high lift/long duration cams offer. I think you might be surprised at what will become of this. The ECU release was reported in that link I posted earlier if you want to read more.
Will
Exactly, there is no way aftermarket ECU makers will not take advantage of this! So now when you buy a 'capable' aftermarket ECU, ... buying different cams will never be needed again!, plus you switch to MAP and take the throttle body completely out! bad a$$ ****!
Old 03-30-2007, 06:46 PM
Diesel350

Nissansport Explains VVEL technology:

http://www.nissansportmag.com/newsno...echnology.html
Old 03-31-2007, 10:31 PM
THX723

Eeeesh! The amount of misinformation being thrown here.

Nissan's new VVEL system is a completely different beast from their legacy VVL system. The two are not even in the same zipcode. BMW's Valvtronic is the only other system in the market that operates with the same concept in mind.

It's probably good I quickly summarize the different types of existing variable valve systems.

Type 1
- Nissan VTC/CVTC/EVTC
- BMW VANOS
- Toyota VVT-i
- Porsche Variocam
These systems work like adjustable cam sprockets, which allow advancement or retardation of camshaft timing/phasing and subsquently the valve timing/phasing. The re's the ability to alter settings in real-time and via infinite steps over a set range. Valve lift cannot be altered with these systems.

Type 2
- Honda VTEC
- Toyota VVTL-i
- Nissan VVL
- Mitsubishi MIVEC
These systems have the ability to switch between two (three in the case of MIVEC) cam profiles that are optimzed for different conditions. It is therefore possible to alter between discrete sets of valve lift and timing/phasing that are built into each of the available cams profiles. Discrete means the settings are not infinitely variable.

Type 3
- Honda i-VTEC
- Porsche Variocam Plus
This system is litterally the combination of Type 1 and Type 2 systems. Valve timing/phasing is infinitely variable, while valve lift remains one of the two fixed settings (a confine of Type 2 system).

Type 4
- Nissan VVEL
- BMW Valvetronic
These systems have continuous variable control over valve lift (from a mere crack to full stroke open), making standard butterfly throttlebody a virtual obsolescence. When coupled with their respective Type 1 systems they also gain continuous variable valve timing/phasing capability. These are the next generation control systems with FULL ABSOLUTE control over valve activities. Aftermarket camshafts will be all but unecessary because virtually any cam profile can be replicated via simple alteration of two ECU tables.

I hope that clears a lot of confusions for everyone.

Last edited by THX723; 03-31-2007 at 10:39 PM.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:46 AM
g356gear

VQ35DE...... 10.3 compression
VQ35HR....... 10.6 compression
VQ37HR....... 11.0 compression
Old 04-02-2007, 12:43 PM
Enron Exec

Originally Posted by miamimax96
Anyone who thinks this technology isn't impressive is foolish. BMW is the only other automaker in the world with such a system (Valvetronic) and nissan/infiniti's is superior. Eliminating the need for a conventional throttle body controlled system and retaining emissions control is/was the next big step in internal combustion engine technology.
There you go.

Oh wait... they need direct injection in the VQ35R too! How come the VQ25HR gets it and we cant? Cheap Nissan bastards.