Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

STS Rear Mount Turbo Z in South East

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2007, 05:16 AM
TENGAI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

LLLLLLLLLLLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG

No thanks...
Old 04-30-2007, 04:33 PM
Cube

Originally Posted by coreapoc
Well for starters the 335i have both turbos JAMMED on the exhaust something serious. Literally 3-4 inches at the most away. They have a rear mount kit for the m3/m5 and the turbos are once again jammed up against the midpipe and people have complained of over heating issues.
I still don't get what you're trying to say. What exactly is overheating!?!? This is much cooler than any front mounted turbo since it's taken away from most of the heat (the source, being the motor, closest to which is the exhaust valves, farther down being the headers, and farther yet being the muffler in the back, a whole 500* colder say some).

I really don't get your terminology... all turbos are JAMMED on the exhaust, how else would they spool? I'm so confused...

Originally Posted by Three5oZee
...hmmm...

Forgive me if im wrong, but for every estimated distance in piping, isen't there a loss in horse power?

I mean thats a long *** up pipe to the intercooler. I would think that you would practically have to be on boost from freakin 2000rpm to keep the pressure constant for a good response.

Someone give an insite on this one with more knowledge than me.. (which dont take much lol)
This has been a topic of much debate, and the majority of the lag is actually from the lower velocity exhaust since it has cooled down (same volume of pipe + denser air = slower flow) which makes it harder to spool the same turbo placed in different areas of the exhaust. This is compensated for by staging the piping down to maintain velocities (not done here, however, but I do believe the stock exhaust does become 1/2" more narrow as it heads back?).

They claim the piping doesn't add lag, considering it's pretty straight tubing. Stretch out some TT piping and compare the straight length of piping and I bet it wouldn't be a WORLD of difference. Bends add just as much resistance to flow as longer piping, depending on the angle of the bend, it adds as much as longer or shorter piping (sharp bend acts like a long length of pipe, gradual bend acts as a short length).

An STS claim is that only about 1 psi is lost (in their vette application) through this long intake piping, but the resultant intercooler affect (nice cold air flowing by underneath, makes this long piping into an intercooler itself) which cools the intake charge by 50-100*F.

Every bit of this info I've read elsewhere or seen on the install video of a twin turbo vette on Speed Network I believe. It's the same vette kit that tucks the filters in almost inside the tail-lights.

I'm considering it...
Old 04-30-2007, 04:46 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

thats.... different.

why dont they design the exhaust system like how a true dual runs, but 1 side if the exhaust and the other is the charge pipe?

there's like little room on the side for any pipes, i mean. how you gonna raise the car on non spider-type lifts?

another question : is that the intake that's sheilded next to the turbo? my diff gets hella dirty from trackdays and drifting.. how do you propose cleaner air injestion for the turbos?

Last edited by Chebosto; 04-30-2007 at 04:49 PM.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:53 PM
Cube

Yes, that shield is the housing for the air filter. It's more of a splash/debris filter for stuff flingin up from below.

If you're drifting, I don't think this would be a wise choice, but the filter can be tucked up into the top of the wheel-well/fender area if you have some kinda wide-body kit and vent it from the front like a scoop. That should take care of any intake issues... but starts getting tricky.

I wouldn't want my intake piping anywhere near the exhaust tract, but at the same time, putting the piping internal like some of the vette's piping would reduce its intercooler-effect. Coming up the side like that makes sense for our intake path because it can come up that side, enter the intercooler, then exit the intercooler on the driver's side and into the intake plenum (since the intake enters via driver's side).

If you were going non-intercooled, the driver's side for the entire length of piping would obviously be less piping overall because you can go straight up into the plenum after MAF.

As for running it like a true dual exhaust, provide a picture for an example... but I think it would be farther away from any hot exhaust piping, tucked up higher than true dual pipes would hang, and not to mention wouldn't require any modification to stock exhaust if you left the design the way it is.
Old 04-30-2007, 05:54 PM
DJ SMITTY
Sponsor
CIN Motorsports

There is a cover for the filter. I'm not going to say any more as I don't want this to turn in to a thread like JL Turbo's did. I'll let our rear mount Z do the talking when it's done
Old 05-02-2007, 10:12 AM
DieselNuts

sooooooo.....is this only for z's? Ive got a G that I might be willing to donate. PM me with some pricing info and when they are looking for a donor.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:52 AM
DJ SMITTY
Sponsor
CIN Motorsports

A g will definitely work. PM me your email address.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:08 AM
Rickdood

Originally Posted by Cube

Doesn't look like they'd scrape or hit anything... it's all tucked up higher than most mufflers.
Who's car is that? anyone know the numbers it puts out?
Old 05-04-2007, 10:16 AM
PWSHHOCKEY44

wont this lag like hell?
Old 05-04-2007, 10:18 AM
Fluid1

Originally Posted by PWSHHOCKEY44
wont this lag like hell?
I do believe that the hypothetics state that this will spool faster.
Old 05-04-2007, 01:50 PM
DanielW
Banned

I agree with the above statement that when you factor in the cooler air, the straighter piping, and the fact that if you straightened out the piping on a regular turbo kit it wouldn't be that much shorter.
Old 05-04-2007, 03:32 PM
Cube

Umm... the intake side piping isn't gonna help the spool guys...

The concern with lag on the intake side is that there's so much length of tubing that when the turbo does finally spool up, that pressure has that much length of tubing to travel in order to finally hit the cylinders. That time it takes for the pressure to reach from the intake side of the turbo to the throttle-body area is the lag people worry about with the length of intake.

The other place people worry about lag is the fact that the exhaust has had plenty of tubing/time to cool down throughout the exhaust that you're losing exhaust velocity that it won't have the right amount of heat/speed to turn the exhaust side of the turbine quick enough.

This lag is virtually eliminated due to a smaller turbine and the fact that the exhaust is slightly stepped down throughout the exhaust so not as much velocity is lost. Atleast I believe the stock exhaust steps down... if you think about it, 2 pipes converge into 1, thus making the overall inner area of exhaust is smaller after it hit's the Y.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:51 PM
Sub zero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats my car.
Lag...lol....what lag? hahahah
Old 05-04-2007, 08:54 PM
Sean

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sub zero
Thats my car.

post a Dyno
Old 05-04-2007, 08:57 PM
Sub zero

Originally Posted by sean1967
post a Dyno
Sorry man cant....but Julian will.
Old 05-04-2007, 09:04 PM
Sean

Sorry man cant....but Julian will.
does that mean your tuner sucks? is the company hoping Julian can get it to post higher than 330 WHP by tuning it better than yours?

This isn't inspiring faith in the company at all. I hope they come on and chime in.
Old 05-04-2007, 09:14 PM
Sub zero

Originally Posted by sean1967
does that mean your tuner sucks? is the company hoping Julian can get it to post higher than 330 WHP by tuning it better than yours?

This isn't inspiring faith in the company at all. I hope they come on and chime in.

I am not sure where you are getting any of these numbers. Or why you made the statement that my tuner sucks lol....you seriously just need to relax. Results will be posted by Julian who I am sure wont hide anything.
Old 05-04-2007, 09:17 PM
Sean

I am not sure where you are getting any of these numbers. Or why you made the statement that my tuner sucks lol....you seriously just need to relax. Results will be posted by Julian who I am sure wont hide anything.

I only asked if he sucks, as I don't know who did it.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:13 PM
Cube

Thats my car.
Don't lie... you even said yourself that maybe you shouldn't have gone with the larger turbo because of the slight lag you feel. Keep in mind, the original "prototype" for this kit opted to go with a larger turbo than STS originally designed to go with the Z.

That lag.

Hah... hah...

That picture I posted (which is in fact his Z) shows the original turbo they designed to go with this kit, and he decided to go with a larger turbo (not shown) and is currently running the larger turbo on the kit.

Last edited by Cube; 05-04-2007 at 10:16 PM.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:22 PM
Sean

Originally Posted by Cube
Don't lie... you even said yourself that maybe you shouldn't have gone with the larger turbo because of the slight lag you feel. Keep in mind, the original "prototype" for this kit opted to go with a larger turbo than STS originally designed to go with the Z.

That lag.

Hah... hah...

That picture I posted (which is in fact his Z) shows the original turbo they designed to go with this kit, and he decided to go with a larger turbo (not shown) and is currently running the larger turbo on the kit.
that explains it , thank you very much.

Quick Reply: STS Rear Mount Turbo Z in South East