Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Cut pulley.

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 05:35 AM
Enron Exec

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Quamen
^^^
I think he just put slots into the SC pulley as there would be no need to do it to the crank pulley since that is one of the last things that would slip.
lol i dont know why i thought he was doing this to his crank pulley.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:48 AM
zzerotwosixty

Maybe my picture was too big. Lol. Thanks DZ, I was really sick of those other guys using imaginary driving skills as an excuse not to boost. They trade their Sentra for a Z and all of a sudden think they are Ricky Bobby.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:32 PM
Devil Z

Originally Posted by zzerotwosixty
Maybe my picture was too big. Lol. Thanks DZ, I was really sick of those other guys using imaginary driving skills as an excuse not to boost. They trade their Sentra for a Z and all of a sudden think they are Ricky Bobby.
Yep. Agreed.
Old 04-27-2007, 03:29 PM
Cube

Originally Posted by sentry65
I don't think it's quite as critical as the crank pulley since the SC pulley doesn't have a crankshaft, 6 pistons/rods, 2 cams, 24 valves connected directly or indirectly to it
4 cams?

I wouldn't recommend sandblasting or sanding whatsoever any stock pulleys because they START rusting immediately, and have a thin layer of surface rust within hours.
Old 04-27-2007, 03:36 PM
booger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cube
4 cams?

I wouldn't recommend sandblasting or sanding whatsoever any stock pulleys because they START rusting immediately, and have a thin layer of surface rust within hours.
The Vortech serp pulley in question is made of aluminum I believe . And will not rust .
Old 04-27-2007, 03:37 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

oops, yeah 4 cams
Old 04-27-2007, 03:38 PM
Cube

Originally Posted by booger
The Vortech serp pulley in question is made of aluminum I believe . And will not rust .
I'm pretty darn sure it's aluminum as well, but that's why I said your stock pulleys
Old 04-27-2007, 03:40 PM
booger

No one was talking about sandblasting stock pulleys...only the Vortech serp pulley .
Old 04-27-2007, 03:46 PM
Cube

With all the talk about the crank pulley and messing up the steel gaskets that accompany it, I figured I would throw that out there. Sorry for filling people in on past experience. I guess I should have...

For future reference, stock pulleys rust fast without any oil, paint, or other protective coating on them because they are made from a very porous steel.

made it more clear...
Old 04-27-2007, 03:50 PM
booger

With all the talk about the crank pulley and messing up the steel gaskets that accompany it, I figured I would throw that out there. Sorry for filling people in on past experience. I guess I should have...

For future reference, stock pulleys rust fast without any oil, paint, or other protective coating on them because they are made from a very porous steel.

made it more clear...
No problem...And sorry if I rubbed you the wrong way ! . The OP is talking about altering the Vortech serp pulley and I didnt read your post clear enough and thought you were talking about the SC pulley .
Old 04-27-2007, 03:54 PM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Seems like you would get better grip if the grooves were cut perpendicular to how you cut it.
Old 04-27-2007, 04:05 PM
Wired 24/7
Dr. Wired

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I think I get it... if the belt lays flat against the pulley, with no groove or gap, then there will be a film of air between the pulley and belt.

If there is somewhere for the air to go, like grooves, holes, etc, then there will be somewhere for air to go and there won't be a cushiony film of air.

Just like ... when you drop a piece of paper, it flies all over the place and can glide on the cushion of air before it lands. But if the paper has holes in it, it will pretty much fall straight down.
Old 04-27-2007, 06:30 PM
Cube

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7
I think I get it... if the belt lays flat against the pulley, with no groove or gap, then there will be a film of air between the pulley and belt.

If there is somewhere for the air to go, like grooves, holes, etc, then there will be somewhere for air to go and there won't be a cushiony film of air.

Just like ... when you drop a piece of paper, it flies all over the place and can glide on the cushion of air before it lands. But if the paper has holes in it, it will pretty much fall straight down.
I'm no rocket scientist... just a nuclear trained electrician... but I don't think much air is getting inbetween the pulley and the belt because the tension you put on the belt to secure it to the pulley is enough to squeeze out any air anyways. If, using your ideology, air is in fact inbetween the belt and the pulley, cutting these slots would actually make a pocket where air is actually trapped as it moves across the pulley and finally opens up to atmosphere when it spins past where the belt was so they're no longer touching... this pocket shouldn't even have a negative or positive pressure because nothing is compressing or expanding it as it's trapped between the pulley and the belt.

I think the only reason it stops slippage any more is because the new edges he's made dig into the belt as soon as the belt comes in contact with the edges as the edes of the pulley spin into the belt. However miniscule, it's still "digging in." That would explain a shortened belt life as well...
Old 04-27-2007, 06:34 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yeah I pretty much thought the same thing - that the edge of the groove was what was cutting into the belt more for traction.

since it's a circular pulley, air can escape alongside the grooves where the belt isn't wrapped around
though it probably gives more options for the air to get out faster
Old 04-27-2007, 06:35 PM
Cube

Oh and btw, air is displaced very very easily with rubber. Just like how your tires don't "aeroplane," they "hydroplane" instead. Even if you were going 300 mph and all of a sudden ran across a drop in the road's level, much like hitting a puddle at 60 mph, but you'd instantly drop and displace the air at 300 (assuming you don't flip into the air from your big flat undercarriage catching some drag... movie Redline anyone?) yet at 60 you can glide across the top of the water... via 295/40/20's or what-have-you
Old 04-27-2007, 06:44 PM
Cannysage

Originally Posted by zzerotwosixty
lol, shake and bake!!!!
Old 04-27-2007, 08:55 PM
Hraesvelg
Got Uranium?

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm no rocket scientist... just a nuclear trained electrician...
OFF TOPIC: Where do you work? And where did you get trained?
Old 04-27-2007, 10:58 PM
zzerotwosixty

Originally Posted by Wired 24/7

LOL
Old 04-28-2007, 04:13 AM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

https://my350z.com/forum/forced-induction/267334-attn-vortech-3-12-pulley-owners.html

try this as well... i bet it wont slip at all
Old 04-28-2007, 06:43 AM
zzerotwosixty

I saw that and may try it later.

Quick Reply: Cut pulley.