Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Custom Turbo Set up?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2007, 04:44 AM
meatbag

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Zexy sort of has a point, just said it a little harsher then most would have. Not nearly as many DIY people on here as other forums.
Old 05-07-2007, 05:16 AM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Zexy

IMO 350z owners are also too much of sheep to custom make absolutely anything when it comes to performance. Many settle with Greddy, APS, blah blah...
It might also come out to more money, and not readily available options for seperate exhaust manifolds and etc. but in the end a custom setup is worth for your specific goals.
you realize you just called 99% of the readers of this FI Forum Sheep right?

if you are so brilliant..and handy with a TIG or MIG welder.. why arn't you turning out custom turbo kits like nothing? and ensure you create a kit thats nothing like the other kits either.. no design copy... yeah go for it... just also make sure your design is so superior it provides optimal flow and it puts out higher numbers than the current kits on the market
Old 05-07-2007, 05:17 AM
doug

Originally Posted by meatbag
Zexy sort of has a point, just said it a little harsher then most would have. Not nearly as many DIY people on here as other forums.
a DYI'er and a custom fabricator are two different things... many guys here can do basic maintence and we have lot here who can even install an engine..

but a custom frabricator to make custom turbo kits? come on now.. we all can't be jesse james
Old 05-07-2007, 07:55 AM
97supratt

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree there is a big difference between DIY's and guys who have a shop and can put together a tubular manifold.

I also agree with Taurren, the supras engine bay has a lot of room because of the Inline 6 engine design. The exhaust side is big enough for monsterous turbo's that is why it's so easy to fab up a kit of your own. Usually people just buy the manifold and go from there. It still ends up costing just about the same as a turbonetics would for a Z.

The only reason I would think anyone would do a custm job on the Z is because they cannot afford to buy a kit therefore they would buy it piece by piece which isn't very smart because chances are you'll be missing something.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:02 AM
chris'smax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 97supratt

The only reason I would think anyone would do a custm job on the Z is because they cannot afford to buy a kit therefore they would buy it piece by piece which isn't very smart because chances are you'll be missing something.

Or when you are paying a hefty price tag for a kit which includes items that you are going to trash anyways becuause you already own items that are superior to those offered with the kit .

I'll admit i was tempted to do a custom kit. All i needed was the pipe bends, turbo, and intercooler. Everything else was covered, but being that i am graduating college and starting a full time job in a couple of weeks i would not have the time to complete this. AND YES I CAN WELD(somewhat) AND DO OWN A WELDER
Old 05-07-2007, 08:03 AM
chris'smax

Also most of you guys are talking of fabbing up a manifold, why not just base the kit of the turbonecitc design?
Old 05-07-2007, 08:13 AM
MIAPLAYA

Custom kits are expensive in labor which is why there aren't many of them out there. Jotech did one way back in the day with twin GT28RS turbos and said they would never do another one again. The limited space on the Z makes it very difficult. Only one person sells turbo manifolds piecemeal and thats Speedforce Racing. Tim will sell the SS321 turbo manifolds he makes individually but then if you are going to do that you might as well buy the whole kit. In the end its just not worth it.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:20 AM
doug

Originally Posted by chris'smax
Also most of you guys are talking of fabbing up a manifold, why not just base the kit of the turbonecitc design?
if you are going to steal someone's design it just takes the originality out of it and in the end you are not designing your own turbo kit.. you are stealing someone elses for cheaper..
Old 05-07-2007, 08:57 AM
andypandy

just to let you know, most (if not all?) twin turbo setups have the turbos sitting behind the engine. just to get to that place requires a lot of work to be done and add additional labor for fabricating, mocking and test-fitting the manifolds to spec. space is also a huge issue as the engine fills the bay quite nicely. also, to have the turbos mounted in the engine bay, coolant/heater pipes as well as some amenities must be relocated. all in all, a custom kit is NOT worth the money IMHO. a guy i know from northern cali paid 2500 for a nice pair of custom SS tubular manifolds to bolt HKS gt turbos and needless to say, he was very content with the product... with 2500, i'd rather buy an extreme fuel system upgrade.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:18 AM
Zexy

Originally Posted by taurran
I don't agree there, and find your statement mildly offensive at the same time. If you've ever even seen the engine bay of a supra,or a factory TT supra, you'd understand how much easier it is to fabricate a turbo setup. Even shops such as Performance Motorsport and other high performance drag racing shops have used modified turbo KITS to build their street legal drag cars. There's really no reason to do it if you can get a fully developed kit that performs to your standards AND costs less.

Are you serious Craig?? Come on now man lol.

I see many would settle for what's out on the market but i think part of the reason power barriers aren't really being broken into is because people tend to stay on the conservative side of things buying what's available on the market. And i do agree it's more difficult but it's worth it at the end to get a custom setup.

By reffering to "sheep" i didn't mean it as an insult or harshness. It was meant that many owners tend to follow the usual Greddy, APS, etc. path. You see Supra/Honda guys picking their custom setups and they're continuously reaching new power ceilings..

Oh and Doug is ghey..
Old 05-07-2007, 09:20 AM
andypandy

You see Supra/Honda guys picking their custom setups and they're continuously reaching new power ceilings..
if we had enough room inside the engine bay to play around with things, i am pretty sure we'd have custom setups as well. unfortunately, that's not the case. :T
Old 05-07-2007, 09:21 AM
taurran

Are you serious Craig?? Come on now man lol.

I see many would settle for what's out on the market but i think part of the reason power barriers aren't really being broken into is because people tend to stay on the conservative side of things buying what's available on the market. And i do agree it's more difficult but it's worth it at the end to get a custom setup.

By reffering to "sheep" i didn't mean it as an insult or harshness. It was meant that many owners tend to follow the usual Greddy, APS, etc. path. You see Supra/Honda guys picking their custom setups and they're continuously reaching new power ceilings..

Oh and Doug is ghey..
hah... I'm never REALLY offended, so don't worry.

I see your point... HOWEVER, I think the limitations with this car at the point is general knowledge of the motor and transmission. The kits on the market now are less of a limitation than the internals on the car. People are still figuring it out on a daily basis. I mean, last year this community didn't have 1000hp street built Z's, but now it does.

So basically, the turbo setups aren't the big problem now, it's building the car to be able to handle that power.

Last edited by taurran; 05-07-2007 at 09:23 AM.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:22 AM
Zexy

Originally Posted by andypandy
if we had enough room inside the engine bay to play around with things, i am pretty sure we'd have custom setups as well. unfortunately, that's not the case. :T
If Injected Performance and JUN of Japan can find enough room, so can you..
Old 05-07-2007, 09:23 AM
chris'smax

Originally Posted by doug
if you are going to steal someone's design it just takes the originality out of it and in the end you are not designing your own turbo kit.. you are stealing someone elses for cheaper..

well in my case i wasn't really looking for a original design. Just looking to cut down on expenses.

You could make original though by going with a larger diameter pipe and using your choice of turbo
Old 05-07-2007, 09:24 AM
andypandy

If Injected Performance and JUN of Japan can find enough room, so can you..

no thanks! i have enough room in my pants.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:26 AM
chris'smax

^^^^ ha i could do that with some ebay pipe bends and some JB weld
Old 05-07-2007, 09:28 AM
Quamen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think that the statement about JUN and Injected defeats the purpose though. You are talking about big time companies who pay their in house fabricators the same amount of money no matter what project they are working on. For them doing something like that is still no minor task and that is all they do for a living. It is somewhat hard to compare a company to a privateer in terms of capability in most cases.
Old 05-07-2007, 09:30 AM
doug

Oh and Doug is ghey..
yuh bloodclawt pupa yuh deh chat bout bumbole... yuh pupa a waan batti bwoy das why di dawg di breed yuh mumma
Old 05-07-2007, 09:33 AM
andypandy

LOL i just noticed... wrong car.

don't hurt me.
Attached Thumbnails Custom Turbo Set up?-jun-350z-3.jpg   Custom Turbo Set up?-jun-350-9.jpg   Custom Turbo Set up?-jun-350z-6.jpg   Custom Turbo Set up?-jun-350z-7.jpg  
Old 05-07-2007, 09:37 AM
doug

custom turbo kit with Greddy Mushrooms and Greddy Turbo's.. well if that isn't re-inventing the wheel

Quick Reply: Custom Turbo Set up?