Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Turbonetics Leaking Oil Seal List

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 11:56 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Turbonetics Leaking Oil Seal List

Just curious as to how many Turbonetics owners here are having issues with leaking oil seals. There seem to be a lot of threads here lately concerning this issue. Post your username, how many times you returned the turbo for a warranty claim, and what Turbonetics did to resolve the issues.

1. JETPILOT / 4 warranty returns / Issues never resolved

JET
Old 05-22-2007, 05:57 AM
MIAPLAYA

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Might also want to post mileage on the turbo and where you are returning the oil drain too if you want to make this seem like you are actually gathering data rather then just....welll....you already know how this looks.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:29 AM
vq36turbo

2.VQ36 TURBO/ 2 returns/ Smoke has come back even with new built bottom end.

Their are VI Thousand miles on the turbo. Engine is in great shape.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:38 AM
vq36turbo

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
Might also want to post mileage on the turbo and where you are returning the oil drain too if you want to make this seem like you are actually gathering data rather then just....welll....you already know how this looks.
We are consumers that care where are money went. We must present this information in a respectful manner so other potential consumers can be advised on what could potentially happen and also so the deficiency could be fixed. I'm thinking Twin turbo is the way to go. I'm tired of calling simi valley and being on hold for 1hr just to find out I need to pull the turbo off just to get it back in the same poor repair. It seems they think I'm a endless money pit.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:41 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by vq36turbo
We are consumers that care where are money went. We must present this information in a respectful manner so other potential consumers can be advised on what could potentially happen and also so the deficiency could be fixed. I'm thinking Twin turbo is the way to go. I'm tired of calling simi valley and being on hold for 1hr just to find out I need to pull the turbo off just to get it back in the same poor repair. It seems I like a endless money pit.
I'm not saying not to present the info. I'm saying you should present ALL the info that could affect this issue. Oil return location, cool down of the turbo after use, turbo timer, mileage on the turbo itself not the car, the list goes on. There are literally a hundred things or more the could case the seal to fail. Simply saying you have white smoke doesn't mean the seal failed and if it is failed doesn't mean it won't fail again if the root cause isn't corrected. Thats exactly the point I was trying to make. If you are going to present the data, present ALL the data pertinent to the discussion. Otherwise it just becomes another rant and has no actual usefulness. As an aside i'd be intereseted to see of everyone who posts how many are running a pan spacer with the return run there. My bet is the majority of people.

Last edited by MIAPLAYA; 05-22-2007 at 07:44 AM.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:13 AM
Ed 718
BRAVEHEART

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
1. JETPILOT / 4 warranty returns / CUSTOMER FAILED TO RELIZE PROBLEM WAS NOT THE TURBO
Fixed
Old 05-22-2007, 09:44 AM
redline350ZZ

3. Redline350zz/ expired warranty/ thermal failure/ 11K miles/ TN oil/ atleast 1 minute idle before shutdown
Old 05-22-2007, 10:41 AM
Gary Evans

Earth to damage control. Send help quick!
Old 05-22-2007, 11:12 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by redline350ZZ
3. Redline350zz/ expired warranty/ thermal failure/ 11K miles/ TN oil/ atleast 1 minute idle before shutdown
Oil pan spacer return line?
Old 05-22-2007, 02:16 PM
booger

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MIAPLAYA
Oil pan spacer return line?
Mia ... where does TN suggest the oil drain go ? Tap the upper pan like Vortech ?
Old 05-22-2007, 02:18 PM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by booger
Mia ... where does TN suggest the oil drain go ? Tap the upper pan like Vortech ?
Exactly. The instructions for the oil return are almost a mirror of what Vortech does.
Old 05-22-2007, 02:31 PM
Lo$t

before i start, i tapped into the upper pan.

Now, I had this same white smoke problem. It really scared me. I called turbonetics and I wasn't put on hold, and the guy who answered was nice. He instructed me to check some other options out before I jumped to conclusions and sent the turbo in. What do ya know? It was my oil return line! There was a small kink in the oil return line. It was causing oil to back up into the turbo. I replaced the oil return line, and my problem was fixed.

The few words of constructive criticism i would give to turbonetics is that they should make a SS oil return line, maybe with a 45 or 90 in it. It would make for a better oil return line, and prevent other consumers from having the same problems. I used AM9 Fittings and SS hose with a 90 in it.
Old 05-22-2007, 07:13 PM
solidsnake

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Bump!!! post 4001
Old 05-22-2007, 08:26 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by Lo$t
before i start, i tapped into the upper pan.

Now, I had this same white smoke problem. It really scared me. I called turbonetics and I wasn't put on hold, and the guy who answered was nice. He instructed me to check some other options out before I jumped to conclusions and sent the turbo in. What do ya know? It was my oil return line! There was a small kink in the oil return line. It was causing oil to back up into the turbo. I replaced the oil return line, and my problem was fixed.

The few words of constructive criticism i would give to turbonetics is that they should make a SS oil return line, maybe with a 45 or 90 in it. It would make for a better oil return line, and prevent other consumers from having the same problems. I used AM9 Fittings and SS hose with a 90 in it.
How big of a kink were we talking about? Oh, and I plan on replacing mine with a SS line soon. The one with the kit is really crap. I replaced mine with a sturdier line but I'd rather do SS. I think a 90 deg fitting would be great too.
Old 05-22-2007, 08:49 PM
freezeg35

How does the oil return line compare to the vortech one. I never had a prob. with my vortech, but am currently getting the tn kit installed as we type.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:52 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by freezeg35
How does the oil return line compare to the vortech one. I never had a prob. with my vortech, but am currently getting the tn kit installed as we type.
Vortech and TN recommend tapping in about the same spot...upper oil pan.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:27 AM
abyss

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
Vortech and TN recommend tapping in about the same spot...upper oil pan.
I think he meant a comparo between the lines, not the placement.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:29 AM
MIAPLAYA

Its the same line on the Vortech also...same material, same location, etc.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:51 AM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had the AAM spacer with the SS braided return line going into the spacer and didn't have any troubles. I only had one smoking issue ever and that was the morning after a dyno session at Forged. I believe it may have been a PCV issue, not a TN issue.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:57 AM
MIAPLAYA

Originally Posted by QuadCam
I had the AAM spacer with the SS braided return line going into the spacer and didn't have any troubles. I only had one smoking issue ever and that was the morning after a dyno session at Forged. I believe it may have been a PCV issue, not a TN issue.
Which is the other VERY distinct possibility. I've heard of two cars who had the PCV fail or have an issue that forced oil into the intake tract. This of course exhibited itself with oil in the turbo...

Quick Reply: Turbonetics Leaking Oil Seal List