Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

APS TT Smoking, Oil Restrictors?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2007, 09:24 PM
Abishop

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Glex25
Wouldn't smoking under acceleration signify a bad turbo?

Sounds more like a return line issue

Did your motor consume oil before the TT install?

What are your other supporting mods?
No, my motor was just fine before install. I have MREV2 5/16 spacer, test pipes, greddy evo 2 exhaust and UTEC. My return lines have be trimmed twice, and made sure they were at maximum draining angle. Im stummped on what to do guys, i really hate to have to send my ****ing turbos to australia....
Old 06-02-2007, 09:33 PM
Glex25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same issue when I had test pipes.

I put hi-flow cats and the issue went away.

Factory cats would do the same since I put factory cats back in while waiting for my high flow cats.

Hope you get it resolved.

I also have the Rev-up motor.

Supporting mods(Engine only):
MREV+
Ultimate Racing High Flow Cats
UTR Test pipes(Uninstalled)
TurboXs Oil Catch can
HKS Hipower Ti exhaust
Old 06-02-2007, 09:40 PM
Abishop

that is really strange? was there alot of smoke?^^^^
Old 06-02-2007, 09:43 PM
Glex25

Originally Posted by Abishop
that is really strange? was there alot of smoke?^^^^
There was oil on my exhaust tips.
Same symptom as you
It was embarrassing when at a red light

It happened just on deceleration also
not during boost or acceleration
Old 06-02-2007, 09:49 PM
Abishop

So you just changed out your cats and that fixed the problem?
Old 06-02-2007, 09:55 PM
Glex25

yep

I even checked the factory cats to see if it had any oil build up in the inlet and there was none
Old 06-02-2007, 10:08 PM
Abishop

huh....im confused. i guess there are some things i need to check.
Old 06-03-2007, 05:23 AM
captj3

His cats are burning up what ever oil there is coming out. This is not really a fix. Abishop how old is your kit? If it is out of warranty you don't have to send the turbo to aps to get the cartridge replaced. There is a place here in the US that can rebuild garrett turbos.
Old 06-03-2007, 06:26 AM
Glex25

The kit was bought and installed by a APS Dealer and that was what suggested.
Something about the oil return line not being able to catch up with the feed line.

So by adding the cats it suppose to create more back pressure.

If you guys want to ask MRC about their theory go right ahead.
I got it from them and thats what they suggested

Last edited by Glex25; 06-03-2007 at 06:43 AM.
Old 06-03-2007, 08:11 AM
failsafe306

There's got to be a better way to run the oil returns on these things....
Old 06-03-2007, 06:37 PM
Abishop

well boulder nissan is going to try different things. They will check and make sure the seals on the turbos are good, then if they are they will either use oil restrictors, a pump to help move the oil back into the pan, larger return lines, ect... I really hope its not my turbo seals....

PS. The kit is bran new. Thats why we think the turbo seals are good.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:21 PM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

well boulder nissan is going to try different things. They will check and make sure the seals on the turbos are good, then if they are they will either use oil restrictors, a pump to help move the oil back into the pan, larger return lines, ect... I really hope its not my turbo seals....

PS. The kit is bran new. Thats why we think the turbo seals are good.
This is just wishful thinking. my turbo smoked on decel from DAY 1. I went through all the same troubleshooting you have - oil level and trimming and routing the returns. I even did a full leak down and compression check on my motor. Heck the same turbo smoked after I supposedly got it fixed.

This isn't rocket science; there is only so much diagnosis you can do before you just pull the turbo(s) and get them fixed/replaced. I wouldn't mess with different restrictors or a sump pump - neither of which should be needed
Old 06-03-2007, 07:24 PM
Abishop

Originally Posted by Zivman
This is just wishful thinking. my turbo smoked on decel from DAY 1. I went through all the same troubleshooting you have - oil level and trimming and routing the returns. I even did a full leak down and compression check on my motor. Heck the same turbo smoked after I supposedly got it fixed.

This isn't rocket science; there is only so much diagnosis you can do before you just pull the turbo(s) and get them fixed/replaced. I wouldn't mess with different restrictors or a sump pump - neither of which should be needed
Well if you think about it, if the turbo is getting too much oil, it will go burn through the exhaust. If the oil drain lines are now flowing properly, it will burn oil in the exhaust. How common is smoke on APS TT kits? Common. I'm not ruling out it being a bad turbo but i really think its hard to believe its not an easy fix.

A local tuner says on all his GT series turbos he has had to install a restrictor. Why would the APS turbos be any different? Also, the gravity feed drain lines are ludicrous compared to the puller pump set up that is found on the APS Extreme kit and SFR kits for example. Why would those kits need pumps and not the APS TT? The JWT comes with restrictors, its common for low sitting twin turbo setups to smoke if measures aren't looked at to make sure the oil drains away or not too much oil is being put into the turbos. Thats just my rational.....

Last edited by Abishop; 06-03-2007 at 07:30 PM.
Old 06-03-2007, 07:35 PM
Zivman

Well if you think about it, if the turbo is getting too much oil, it will go burn through the exhaust. If the oil drain lines are now flowing properly, it will burn oil in the exhaust. How common is smoke on APS TT kits? Common. I'm not ruling out it being a bad turbo but i really think its hard to believe its not an easy fix.

A local tuner says on all his GT series turbos he has had to install a restrictor. Why would the APS turbos be any different? Also, the gravity feed drain lines are ludicrous compared to the puller pump set up that is found on the APS Extreme kit and SFR kits for example. Why would those kits need pumps and not the APS TT? The JWT comes with restrictors, its common for low sitting twin turbo setups to smoke if measures aren't looked at to make sure the oil drains away or not too much oil is being put into the turbos. Thats just my rational.....
The turbos that come in the base kit do have restrictors installed in them. The base kit also uses the EXACT same return setup as the Extreme kit - see pic (pic is pulled from the Extreme kit install instructions LINK )

You are welcome to waste your time and money trying to resolve the issue everyway but addressing it directly. Save yourself and your shop some time and figure out which turbo (or if it is both) that is smoking and fix or replace it
Old 06-03-2007, 07:53 PM
Abishop

how much does a turbo rebuilt cost?
Old 06-03-2007, 08:01 PM
Zivman

how much does a turbo rebuilt cost?
if the kit is brand new and you have a authorized shop install, send the turbo back to them and tell them to make it right
Old 06-03-2007, 09:08 PM
skidmarq

Abishop, is the smoking the only symptom you are experiencing? Have you dyno'd since you installed the kit? How clean is the power curve?
Old 06-04-2007, 04:52 AM
Abishop

Originally Posted by skidmarq
Abishop, is the smoking the only symptom you are experiencing? Have you dyno'd since you installed the kit? How clean is the power curve?
Yea, smoking on decel is my only problem. I have dynoed it. The curve looks very clean. The power is great, i just have white/bluish smoke at decel thats all.

Zivman, since i live in colorado, there are no authorized shops for APS. I took it to boulder nissan that knows their **** about Z's and TT kits. What im trying to figure out is would it be cheaper to have it rebuilt in the states (if my turbo were bad) then shipping it all the way back to APS just to maybe have it come back unchanged?
Old 06-04-2007, 05:04 AM
captj3

Yea, smoking on decel is my only problem. I have dynoed it. The curve looks very clean. The power is great, i just have white/bluish smoke at decel thats all.

Zivman, since i live in colorado, there are no authorized shops for APS. I took it to boulder nissan that knows their **** about Z's and TT kits. What im trying to figure out is would it be cheaper to have it rebuilt in the states (if my turbo were bad) then shipping it all the way back to APS just to maybe have it come back unchanged?

It has to be cheaper and most important less time. Someone said the shipping for 1 turbo to aps was $300. Then you have to worry about them sending it back saying there is nothing wrong with it. My guess is the cost to rebuild will be around $500 for a new cartridge plus turbo removal.
Old 06-04-2007, 10:37 AM
Abishop

Well im parying the turbo/s are still good! i guess ill just have to wait and see... Thanks for all your help guys! ill chime in if i have any more questions!

Quick Reply: APS TT Smoking, Oil Restrictors?