Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

APS Oil Control Solenoid?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 05:31 PM
Abishop

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
Have you tried all the simple checks/fixes? Properly trimming the oil lines to maintain consistent and direct gravity feed? Keeping the oil level on the "L" mark? Might be basic....so worth a try....if you havent tried already. It will take 50-100 miles for oil to burn off your exhaust system as well, so keep that in mind.
Yea, Boulder Nissan and i have done just about everything to get it to stop smoking. We are still in the process of taking off the exhaust and seeing if it is one side or both. If its both, we might use oil restricters.
Old 06-19-2007, 08:55 PM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Abishop
If its both, we might use oil restricters.
NOT the answer, don't do it. the kit is fine if properly installed and no component issues
Old 06-20-2007, 08:30 PM
Abishop

well the exhaust is dry other then some oil around the rear of the exhaust (tips and mufflers) going to be putting some miles on the car to see if it will burn off the oil, if not the turbos will either have to be pulled out or we will try some reducers but no smaller then .045 as recommended by Garrett. ( yes i know Zivman, don't do it, but its worth a try. Also where are the reducers located on the APS kit, inside the turbos?)
Old 06-21-2007, 03:57 AM
Zivman

well the exhaust is dry other then some oil around the rear of the exhaust (tips and mufflers) going to be putting some miles on the car to see if it will burn off the oil, if not the turbos will either have to be pulled out or we will try some reducers but no smaller then .045 as recommended by Garrett. ( yes i know Zivman, don't do it, but its worth a try. Also where are the reducers located on the APS kit, inside the turbos?)
Not worth a try, not going to fix the issue at hand and could potentialy cause more harm that good. if you take off the oil feeds to the turbos, the restrictors sit in the fittings on the turbos that those feeds attach to.

as I told you in PM, my exhaust was 100% dry - no oil.
Old 06-21-2007, 04:03 AM
kostat26

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sounds like a bad turbo/turbos to me. you should have them checked. dont waste ur time adding components that arent supposed to be there to begin with to avoid a problem. waste ur time finding the problem
Old 06-21-2007, 04:05 AM
Zivman

Originally Posted by kostat26
dont waste ur time adding components that arent supposed to be there to begin with to avoid a problem. waste ur time finding the problem
^ +1
Old 06-21-2007, 09:39 AM
Abishop

well how much was it to send your turbo back to APS?
Old 06-21-2007, 09:44 AM
Zivman

well how much was it to send your turbo back to APS?
Work with your shop on this, don't attempt to send them back without the shop you bought the kit from being involved. Shipping was expensive, I beleive around 300 bucks round trip as they need to be aired back and forth
Old 06-21-2007, 09:50 AM
BrianLG35C

Originally Posted by Zivman
Work with your shop on this, don't attempt to send them back without the shop you bought the kit from being involved. Shipping was expensive, I beleive around 300 bucks round trip as they need to be aired back and forth
Actually around $400, that's what GRD is charging me.
Old 06-21-2007, 09:54 AM
Zivman

Originally Posted by BrianLG35C
Actually around $400, that's what GRD is charging me.
shipping has gone up over the past 2 yrs so it very well could be 400 now and 300 back in the day
Old 06-21-2007, 01:31 PM
Abishop

well they drove the car without the h-pipe so just on test pipes. No smoke even under boost, if any a very faint smoke from passanger side at idle. what do you guys have to think about this?
Old 06-21-2007, 05:14 PM
skidmarq

Craziness...
Old 06-21-2007, 08:51 PM
Abishop

i dont know what to think....
Old 06-22-2007, 11:12 AM
InZomniac

Was the car at full operating temp? If so it may just be burning off the excess oil left in the exhaust and you fixed the culprit somewhere along the line.
Old 06-22-2007, 11:36 AM
Abishop

Originally Posted by InZomniac
Was the car at full operating temp? If so it may just be burning off the excess oil left in the exhaust and you fixed the culprit somewhere along the line.
Yes it was at full temp, Boulder Nissan and another local TT 350z are going to do some exhaust switches to see if it is more noticeable with a "true" dual exhaust tonight, ill keep this post updated....
Old 06-22-2007, 06:59 PM
Abishop

Well, Eric put my friends true dual exhaust on, no smoke.....i think we have this thing figured out. Either the x pipe in the greddy exhaust is causing too much pressure or there is oil in the exhaust that still needs to be burned off. Zivman, care to chime in on this?
Old 06-22-2007, 08:56 PM
Zivman

Well, Eric put my friends true dual exhaust on, no smoke.....i think we have this thing figured out. Either the x pipe in the greddy exhaust is causing too much pressure or there is oil in the exhaust that still needs to be burned off. Zivman, care to chime in on this?
I don't know what to think. You also said you saw smoke under throttle as well? I don't know how they are testing this, but make sure they take the car around town and have a chaser car following to make sure the car is not smoking before you call this cured.

If it is resolved, congrats. Maybe it was just install related (oil returns, oil level, etc)
Old 06-22-2007, 09:12 PM
Abishop

Well, Zivman, you had the greddy evo 2 exhaust right? My installer thinks that the x pipe is making back pressure on the turbos which could be causing smoking. I wonder if you and i have had similar problems because the EVO 2? How long did you drive the car with the evo 2 installed? How long did it smoke with the APS?
Old 06-23-2007, 03:38 AM
Zivman

Well, Zivman, you had the greddy evo 2 exhaust right? My installer thinks that the x pipe is making back pressure on the turbos which could be causing smoking. I wonder if you and i have had similar problems because the EVO 2? How long did you drive the car with the evo 2 installed? How long did it smoke with the APS?

Would HIGHLY doubt it is the exhaust causing the issue. That said, I think the move to something like the APS 2.5" would be worthwhile. Something else changed that would cause the car to stop smoking. It is not recommended, but the kit can be ran on stock exhaust and stock cats - I would think we both agree the greddy has better flow than that setup. I think it is just coincidence we both had the evo2

My smoking issues were from the first time the car started. With no boost. Just on a free rev when we came off throtttle. We chalked it up to a lot of new exhaust components... at first
Old 06-23-2007, 12:53 PM
Abishop

i plan on getting some custom pipes to take out the x pipe and make my evo 2 true dual.

Quick Reply: APS Oil Control Solenoid?