Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

My Impressions of the Apexi AVC-R Electronic Boost Controller

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 02:56 PM
DanielW
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok so I've done some more adjusting on this thing with the feedback times and the boost level as well as duty cycle (I lowered the target boost to .45bar and upped the duty cycle to 52%). So anyway I've got it to where it is barely spiking at all (.01bar) between 3rd and 4th gear but still during the 2nd to 3rd shift it is jumping like 1.5 pounds (.1 bar) any ideas on what could be causing this?
Old 08-31-2007, 01:37 PM
DanielW
Banned

ok at this point I don't think anyone is even looking at this thread anymore but I want to keep a log for my self and for whatever unlucky sap buys this thing in the future....

So I had been overboosting about .3-.4 bar in fourth gear even though i had gotten the boost spike between third and fourth down to almost nothing. So today I bumped the feedback speed in fourth gear all the way up to 9 which is the max and it fixed the problem. My feed back speeds from 1st through 5th respectively are 1 4 8 9 9.

I still can't figure out what in the hell the gear dependent start duty does. Either that feature just doesn't work on mine for some reason or it just doesn't do anything because I can move it all the way from -50% to +50% and nothing happens. wierd
Old 09-27-2007, 03:22 PM
DanielW
Banned

Update... now under the same settings I'm getting the boost spike between gears coming back up to 1.5 psi and I'm not hitting full boost in third gear any more.

Can anyone tell me what the advantage or disadvantage would be of having a higher duty cycle with a lower target boost level vs a lower duty cycle and a higher target boost level both producing the same peak boost?
Old 09-27-2007, 03:33 PM
Quamen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Im wondering why you are having so much more problems then other 5AT people are having?
Old 09-27-2007, 03:47 PM
DanielW
Banned

Me Too!!!
Old 09-27-2007, 03:48 PM
DanielW
Banned

I'm starting to wonder if this boost controller is messed up because even if I was not compitent to tune it it seems like it should still be hitting the same boost under the same settings. its just all over the place.
Old 09-27-2007, 04:29 PM
Quamen

What brand wastegate is STS using?

Is it dual port and if so do you have all the lines hooked up to the right port?

You aren't going to hit full boost most likely in 1st and 2nd gear especially if you have a light weight flywheel.

I would wonder if the long length of the lines that control the wastegate has anything to do with the issues you are experiencing. I wouldn't think so but the wastegate on the STS is way further from the intake manifold then any other kit out there which could be something to take into consideration.
Old 09-27-2007, 04:32 PM
DanielW
Banned

its a tial wastegate i believe. the other 5AT tranny owner with the same kit isn't experiencing the boost spike
Old 09-27-2007, 04:35 PM
Quamen

Do you experience the boost spike when you use just the wastegate spring pressure to control boost?

EDIT: It appears that in your OP you experienced it then but I may be assuming
Old 09-27-2007, 07:13 PM
denchan350gt

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Quamen
What brand wastegate is STS using?

Is it dual port and if so do you have all the lines hooked up to the right port?

You aren't going to hit full boost most likely in 1st and 2nd gear especially if you have a light weight flywheel.

I would wonder if the long length of the lines that control the wastegate has anything to do with the issues you are experiencing. I wouldn't think so but the wastegate on the STS is way further from the intake manifold then any other kit out there which could be something to take into consideration.

What happens if the wastegate is hooked up in the wrong ports?

I still haven't played around with my Apex EBC like you have Daniel.

I just got my car back so I will be playing around with it this weekend.

I wish it read in psi to avoid the guessing of what you are boosting.

What are the current settings on yours?
Old 09-27-2007, 08:22 PM
DanielW
Banned

yeah i was experiencing the boost spike all along even with the manual controller.

I can't even remember what my settings are at this point i think the target boost is set at .50 bar and the duty cycle is at like 40%. Thee Feedback speed's for gears one through five respectively are 9, 9, 5, 3, 2 the start duty is at 0% for every gear and the learn gear is off in each gear. WIth that I'm getting like .35 bar in 1st .47 or so in second .52 in 3rd (with the turbo really heated up this makes a big difference on the sts kit) and .55-.56 in fourth with significant boost spikes between 2-3 and 3-4 of 1-1.5psi (Again depending on how hot the turbo is).

I also am experiencing a pressure drop at high rpms but i think that is a characteristic of this kit but i can't seem to tune that out because it happens at different rpm ranges in third and fourth. I think I'm just going to try to get a local tuner to tune it for me.
Old 09-28-2007, 03:07 AM
silver nismo

Read bout configering ur gears to the AVCR so ir reads more acuretly.
and once u have done this then u can set the boost that u want and let the AVCR configer the Duty cycle for each gear so u acheive the required boost.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:01 AM
DanielW
Banned

well to configure the gears it needs to be able to read the speed right?
Old 09-28-2007, 05:48 AM
athenG

Not an expert but do you think that because you had replaced the Y-pipe to a more bigger diameter on top of the T-Pipes and reduced the pressure of the exhaust gas? Or maybe you have a slight exhaust leak? Since we have Rea-Mount those little things can add up and lower gear also mean lower load.
Old 09-28-2007, 06:10 AM
DanielW
Banned

I know the y pipe and test pipes deffinitely affected it. But I don't see why I wouldn't be able to hit the same boost in third and fourth. I mean, if I turn the duty cycle up a little it will hit 7.5 in 3rd but then its at like 8psi in fourth.

I've had it though, I called a local tuner in my area who does a lot of turbocharged vehicles and actually has experience tuning utecs on STI's. I'm gonna test him out on the boost controller and if he impresses me I may just have him tune the car as well
Old 09-28-2007, 11:30 PM
silver nismo

Originally Posted by danielwebb
well to configure the gears it needs to be able to read the speed right?
yes, u do.... spead and rpm they work..
U need a sensor to get the RPM working
Old 09-29-2007, 07:24 AM
DanielW
Banned

Wow I was just figurinhg that out last night with a local tuner that I paid 70- bux to tune this thing only to have him tell me that i had the right idea all along but it just needs the speed signal. so i'm gonna have the shop do the speed signal. Its behind the ac controls in the hvac module right? pin 3? how hard is it to get to?
Old 09-29-2007, 11:30 PM
silver nismo

I cant realy tell I had my AVCR on my EVO6 not on the Z.
But I can tell u that there is nothing in the AVCR that i cant tune.
U get every thing working in reading and i will help u tuning every bit of it.
Old 10-03-2007, 04:12 AM
DanielW
Banned

I appreciate the offer bro. I think with all of the practice i've had with it i should deffinitely be able to get it right once the speed signal is hooked up. Just one question though. What exactly is the feedback speed? (I kinda know what it is but just not exactly how it affects the boost/spool up at different values)
Old 10-03-2007, 04:21 AM
silver nismo

If I realy know what u mean by feedback speed... See all what u r doing is tailoring or customising this AVCR to your can and u should be getting the same RPM and speed reading that u get on the dash if so.. and the gears r sincronised and dont forget the voltage and the throtle u know what I'm talking about.( the arrow the can be facing up or nutral or down) I hope I'm not mixing u up any way once all of that is done it helps u in achieving any boost u want to achieve acuratly cause its tailored for ur car now. I realy hope this helped LOL If I read what i just wrot i think i will get mixed up LOL let me know if I can help in any ways...

Quick Reply: My Impressions of the Apexi AVC-R Electronic Boost Controller