Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Failed attempt on a Gauge dimmer wire , wheres a good one

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 05:30 AM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate
Premier Member

Received 1,028 Likes on 785 Posts
Default Failed attempt on a Gauge dimmer wire , wheres a good one

I installed my boost, oil temp, and wideband gauges this weekend. No sensors, jsut the gauges and left stub outs for the sensors to be tapped to.

what pita install, but im not paying someone to do it.
1. It was 99 degrees out
2. Rain was intermittent
3. Running wires through the dash sucks
4. Theres not alot of info out there about 350z gauge installs

I thought I had it all figured out. The gauges run off the radio's power but are grounded directly to the battery. I used pin 10, a light green wire, from my bose plug for power. Worked great and is on a 10A fuse (gauges wont draw much, i dont listen to the radio loud and i removed the sub).

For dimming, i figured i could use pin 7, a red/yellow wire. It worked great while the radio was out of the car. The gauges dimmed like they should. Once the radio was back in and the car was put back together i found out that the dimmer wouldnt work unless i dimmed the interior lights all the way to zero with the buttons on the left of the main gauge cluster. I guess chose the wrong pin/wire to tap. Theres another pin, pin 8 i believe, that also controls illumination that may work. I need a on/off type and not a multilevel dimmer.

The goal is to have the gauges dim when i cut the headlights on. I may try to find the relay for the headlamps and run to that but gotta figure out if my gauges need +12v or GND to dim. In the manuals it says to ground the dimmer out if your not going to use it.

You guys have any luck with your install? Anyone know a good tap? I searched but only turned up with issues from the triple gauges not dimming right.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:07 AM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate
Premier Member

thought about putting this in the electronics section, but they probably dont deal with gauges much, more of a radio group.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:37 AM
KPierson
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why did you ground directly to the battery?
Old 08-07-2007, 11:24 AM
Cux350z
hatersgonnahate
Premier Member

to avoid any noise from the radio ground. manual said that a radio ground is a bad reference due to subs and speakers ect. Grounding straight to the battery provides a good path and i know the wire can handle the current.