Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

HKS F-Con iS Tuning Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2007 | 11:20 AM
westpak
SFZCC
Premier Member

Originally Posted by rrmedicx
With that how is the ease of tuning with the IS vs. UTEC? Is it anything like the VPRO? Does it have any kind of self learning mode?
it is very similar to the V Pro in terms of tuning fuel as you set up the AF feedback and adjust the level of sensitivity to tune and then for driving after tune to self adjust
Old 08-23-2007 | 11:42 AM
westpak
SFZCC
Premier Member

Originally Posted by BrianLG35C
So can the FCON V-Pro or FCON-IS be setup to display AF, Water Temp., etc. on a OEM Nav. screen?
Hmmm interesting, not sure haven't gone there and not an audiophile/electronics guy.
Old 08-23-2007 | 12:26 PM
mario23

Does the oem nav screen have a composite input.
If it does then you can set the iS up that way.
The video feature on the iS is simply a composite out...
Old 08-23-2007 | 04:19 PM
MethodRN
For Sale
Premier Member

+10 on the EU sucking vs. the iS. I ran the EU w/ my APS ST and went through 2 coil packs because the EU kept sending a signal to them even after the car was turned off. No issues at all w/ the iS.

What kind of sensors do I need to work the display feature? I currently have the Defi boost, water temp and oil pressure gauges and wanna add an A/F for the iS display. TIA
Old 08-23-2007 | 04:38 PM
mario23

The iS will pick up alot of those off the oem ecu so you don't need to add sensors. Do you have a wideband right now? What we did was just splice into my PLX wideband that I already had. You need the wideband input so that the iS can self learn via the A/F closed loop. Also we made sure to have the A/F on the display in order to be able to monitor and confirm that it is recieving that feedback. You can set that display to show 6 items on the screen of your choice, but one of those should definitely be the A/F...

So wideband is the only thing you absolutely have to have. As far as the display goes...just a composite input and your good to go...
Old 08-23-2007 | 04:54 PM
rrmedicx

So I still need to clarify (from the Tuner's perspective) is the IS a better unit than the UTEC? Easier to tune than the UTEC? Overall a more refined product?
And if so, then why the VPRO if I can get the is for less with the IS?
Old 08-23-2007 | 05:08 PM
mario23

I'll let someone who has tuned both answer that. I believe that when you are talking about a built block and high hp settings, the V-Pro gives you more exact and full range control which you would want once you've invested that kind of money into your ride...
Old 08-23-2007 | 05:11 PM
westpak
SFZCC
Premier Member

Originally Posted by MethodRN
+10 on the EU sucking vs. the iS. I ran the EU w/ my APS ST and went through 2 coil packs because the EU kept sending a signal to them even after the car was turned off. No issues at all w/ the iS.

What kind of sensors do I need to work the display feature? I currently have the Defi boost, water temp and oil pressure gauges and wanna add an A/F for the iS display. TIA
As mentioned most of the information is already received from the ECU, for boost I would assume you are using the HKS pressure sensor to tune the iS with so that would be your signal. It has options to pick signals supplied by DB HKS gauges, there are optional inputs but doubt you can input signals from other gauges.

You can pick RPM, Speed, Water and Intake temps, throttle, voltage, injector outputs from the ECU, and pick other signals from the OBD2 cable.

As mentioned if you are using AF feedback then you already have that signal going to the iS
Old 08-23-2007 | 05:13 PM
westpak
SFZCC
Premier Member

So I still need to clarify (from the Tuner's perspective) is the IS a better unit than the UTEC? Easier to tune than the UTEC? Overall a more refined product?
And if so, then why the VPRO if I can get the is for less with the IS?
I think the iS is better and easier to tune than the Utec.

The reason for going for the V Pro is that I would not use the iS if going for high horsepower at that point of going for 500+ I would prefer the V Pro.
Old 08-23-2007 | 05:22 PM
rrmedicx

Originally Posted by mario23
I'll let someone who has tuned both answer that. I believe that when you are talking about a built block and high hp settings, the V-Pro gives you more exact and full range control which you would want once you've invested that kind of money into your ride...

Maybe Julian or Sharif can better answer that question. I'm not sure who else is an Authorized HKS Tuner (that has dealt with UTEC as well).

Last edited by rrmedicx; 08-23-2007 at 05:24 PM.
Old 08-23-2007 | 05:27 PM
mario23

Westpak is certified Dude...

You know what? There's a world of qualified tuners out there besides Sharif and Julian (no disrespect to either). That response in my opinion is a direct result of the way this forum runs. There are guys here that really do know their shyt when it comes to these cars but maybe they don't promote themselves enough...huh?
Old 08-23-2007 | 06:16 PM
westpak
SFZCC
Premier Member

Maybe Julian or Sharif can better answer that question. I'm not sure who else is an Authorized HKS Tuner (that has dealt with UTEC as well).
You didn't like my answer? you can't get into the details or you will get into a 100 page document to cover all of the features in the iS or V Pro, so go to your tuner and talk to them about what best fits your needs.

knowing how easy it is to tune any HKS product is useless to you since you can't do it only the authorized Pro Dealer can.
Old 08-23-2007 | 07:08 PM
fklentz

If I remember correctly the FCON V Pro has a higher resolution of of tuning ability, is stand alone vice piggyback AND the tuner can lock the system so as the tune can't be altered. I'm still running the original SS box that came with the JWT. I'm on the edge of either the IS or V pro, I really like the video display ability as I already have a display in the cubby that I almost never use except for a DVD once in a while.

What I'd like to know about the IS is how is the transition from ecu to the is and back. The jwt ss box transition is pretty abrupt, I can actually feel the switch and on a few RARE occaisions the motor has died when in slow traffic if I'm not paying enough attention to the tach. I wish the V pro would do the video out.
Old 08-23-2007 | 07:13 PM
mario23

I've found it to be very smooth. Its not abrupt at all and leads in real nice. I'm really impressed with this unit so far. Plus with that OBD2 cable Westpak is talking about, you can totally manage how and when the iS takes over and at what levels...

I don't know why they didn't allow the video feature for the V-Pro. Its such a nice little bonus. Although, if you go with the V-Pro, you would probably want to get the Navigator which will display all that stuff too...

Last edited by mario23; 08-23-2007 at 07:15 PM.
Old 08-23-2007 | 07:42 PM
westpak
SFZCC
Premier Member

Originally Posted by fklentz
If I remember correctly the FCON V Pro has a higher resolution of of tuning ability, is stand alone vice piggyback AND the tuner can lock the system so as the tune can't be altered. I'm still running the original SS box that came with the JWT. I'm on the edge of either the IS or V pro, I really like the video display ability as I already have a display in the cubby that I almost never use except for a DVD once in a while.

What I'd like to know about the IS is how is the transition from ecu to the is and back. The jwt ss box transition is pretty abrupt, I can actually feel the switch and on a few RARE occaisions the motor has died when in slow traffic if I'm not paying enough attention to the tach. I wish the V pro would do the video out.
Yes the V Pro has more resolution iS has 16x24 and the V Pro has 32x32, so preferable when going high boost
Old 08-24-2007 | 06:17 AM
Kenk2
Professional
Premier Member

Westpak is certified Dude...

You know what? There's a world of qualified tuners out there besides Sharif and Julian (no disrespect to either). That response in my opinion is a direct result of the way this forum runs. There are guys here that really do know their shyt when it comes to these cars but maybe they don't promote themselves enough...huh?
$hit I didnt know he was Certified and I bet 90% of all other forum members wouldnt have known that either.. Does he advertise here like the other 'Certified' V-Pro tuners here? No he doesn't try to get business in the forums without advertising but at least make an effort to let peeps know he is Certified so people like you dont come on here and bash others..

That response in my opinion is a direct result of the way this forum runs.
You couldn't have said it better.. Maybe you should start listening to yourself and taking your own advice.. You seriously like to talk out of both sides of your grill..

Westpak, thanks for posting your knowledge about the iS.. I had no idea it has the capabilities it does and it seems nobody wants to answer questions other than yourself. Again, thanks..
Old 08-24-2007 | 06:39 AM
mario23

If you check the first post, you will see that he and his shop did the work...
Maybe you should pay better attention...
Old 08-24-2007 | 06:39 AM
rrmedicx

Originally Posted by westpak
You didn't like my answer? you can't get into the details or you will get into a 100 page document to cover all of the features in the iS or V Pro, so go to your tuner and talk to them about what best fits your needs.

knowing how easy it is to tune any HKS product is useless to you since you can't do it only the authorized Pro Dealer can.
No. Its not that I didn't like the answer. I understand now that the Vpro is better for higher horsepower, but I felt like I was still missing some critical info which you now answered.

I wasn't sure if the resolution on the IS was any less than that of the VPRO.
Now I see that is is a lesser product, with a few added bells & whistles to draw customers in, like the display capability...Thats a nice feature.

The VPro is just so damn expensive. I guess I'll have to wait to save up some cash for that upgrade from my UTEC.
Thanks you.
Old 08-24-2007 | 06:55 AM
Kenk2
Professional
Premier Member

If you check the first post, you will see that he and his shop did the work...
Maybe you should pay better attention...
Yea I missed that..

They still dont advertise here so I say again, how are people supposed to know they are Certified V-Pro dealers..?? By your post I could assume they are but hell, anyone with enough knowledge can install the v-pro but just cannot tune it.. I know people that have done that, but then flew in someone to tune it.. Anyways, you still jumped down rrmedicx throat just like all the other haters on this forum so yea, I am putting you in that category..
Old 08-24-2007 | 07:09 AM
mario23

Put me in whatever catagory you want. I didn't even have a problem with you or call anyone names. Whether it was his intention or not, his post came off bad and that's what I responded to. I very clearly explained the install AND tune that was done by Westpak/Japtrix. So when I see that response, yes it did bother me and I think understandably so.

Quick Reply: HKS F-Con iS Tuning Thread