Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

New EMS for 350Z

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 06:58 AM
Snow-G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sooo...this new system is completely "stand alone"? Meaning do we still need the factory ecu for operating systems?
Old 09-17-2007, 07:01 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Snow-G
Sooo...this new system is completely "stand alone"?
yes
Old 09-17-2007, 07:06 AM
Snow-G

Originally Posted by IIQuickSilverII
yes
Sorry, Yes we do or yes it's completely stand alone?
Old 09-17-2007, 07:17 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Originally Posted by Gman2004
as far as the knock amp there really isn't any more labor costs as it is only two wires IIRC that get wired to the ECU and the a/f sensor (which you would pay labor on with a wideband anyway). The a/f display plugs in like a telephone jack so no labor there.

With the Navigator you can add boost, water temp, oil temp, oil pressure, and EGT sensors.
thats nice

pre efi has
32 Analog inputs!!! - There are 32 analog inputs which will be preconfigured for anything you want to do... I.E. plug in a fuel pressure sensor and it automatically activates the trims associated with it. Put a Nitrous pressure sensor on your car and the computer trims fuel accordingly to bottle pressure!! You can datalog everything imaginable!!

Originally Posted by Snow-G
Sorry, Yes we do or yes it's completely stand alone?
yes

full standalone... no factory ecu needed

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 09-17-2007 at 07:19 AM.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:25 AM
athenG

Originally Posted by Gman2004
as far as the knock amp there really isn't any more labor costs as it is only two wires IIRC that get wired to the ECU and the a/f sensor (which you would pay labor on with a wideband anyway). The a/f display plugs in like a telephone jack so no labor there.

With the Navigator you can add boost, water temp, oil temp, oil pressure, and EGT sensors.

I'm really preparing to shell some $$ for a Carputer + LCD + labor for fabrication for the main purpose of seeing all the data or what is going on in front of my eyes on a screen, also I really wanted to add an EGT, Water/Oil Temp gauge. I guess I can just sell my Utec and gauges and just get the VPro and Navigator. hmmmm.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:35 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Originally Posted by athenG
I'm really preparing to shell some $$ for a Carputer + LCD + labor for fabrication for the main purpose of seeing all the data or what is going on in front of my eyes on a screen, also I really wanted to add an EGT, Water/Oil Temp gauge. I guess I can just sell my Utec and gauges and just get the VPro and Navigator. hmmmm.

but you cant see it on your carputer because its locked

but yah... i mena you can sell your gauges and jsut get the navigator unit
Old 09-17-2007, 07:41 AM
athenG

but you cant see it on your carputer because its locked

but yah... i mena you can sell your gauges and jsut get the navigator unit

I meant don't bother with the Carputer/LCD and just use the navigator. I really don't have any other use for a carputer except having it plugged in to utec for logging purpose.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:42 AM
IIQuickSilverII

I meant don't bother with the Carputer/LCD and just use the navigator. I really don't have any other use for a carputer except having it plugged in to utec for logging purpose.

i am sure you can come up with more things to use thte carputer for than that...

if not you truly have poor imagination
Old 09-17-2007, 07:49 AM
athenG

i am sure you can come up with more things to use thte carputer for than that...

if not you truly have poor imagination
Don't really listen to any music lately and I rather listen to my Engine/Turbo while driving Plus I had them before in my old car (LCD/PS2/DVD/Sound System..etc) so I'm not that thrilled anymore
Old 09-17-2007, 07:57 AM
Shabib67

^You can get the HKS Camp system and use your lcd to monitor everything. When i had my STI i was thinking of getting it over the DEFI gauges.

http://www.alamomotorsports.com/HKS/hks_camp_info.html
Old 09-17-2007, 08:04 AM
SoundPerformance
Sponsor
Sound Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is my original post from Supraforums!!

There is a new plug and play computer that is going to be available shortly for the supra!! (And other cars!!) This is going to be the highest quality, most feature packed computer that I have ever seen!!! Pricing will be similar to other plug and play units available!! From controlling the automatic tranny to boost control, to 3 or 4 stages of NOS, this computer can do all of this and more!!! All of these features are built into one unit.... no costly add ons!!

12 Injector drivers - All with built in Injector drivers!! Perfect for a twin injector setup on the Supra!!

16 Coil Drivers - Yes 16!!! No more waste spark!!

32 Analog inputs!!! - There are 32 analog inputs which will be preconfigured for anything you want to do... I.E. plug in a fuel pressure sensor and it automatically activates the trims associated with it. Put a Nitrous pressure sensor on your car and the computer trims fuel accordingly to bottle pressure!! You can datalog everything imaginable!!

10 Low side driver outputs - You can configure these to do whatever you can imagine. Also these will all support 4+ amps each!!

Built in wideband!! - That says it all!!

True volumetric efficeincy - So things like injector and pressure changes don’t have to be calculated and multiple maps changed, it’s all done in the background by simply entering your injector size and base fuel pressure. Actually knowing the injector size and fuel pressure, this allows us to make instantanious feedback changes to things like fuel pressure not staying constant, without relying on the O2 sensor for delayed information. Changing fuel type is as simple as entering the stoichiametric ratio for the fuel used.

Fault coding – Check engine light will tell you fault codes to help diagnose problems. Actions can be assigned with the fault codes. I.E. low oil pressure triggers a fault code, and activates a low rpm limiter. O2 sensor faults will automatically turn off block learning and closed loop feedback. Also the fault codes will be the same as the original ECU!!!

Traction control – multiple comprehensive traction control strategies including defined wheel speed differential between driven and non-driven wheels.

True knock sensing capability with specific knock frequency detection based upon the specific engine being monitored.

Multiple failsafe conditions making it nearly impossible to damage your engine in the case of tuning errors or mechanical malfunctions. I.E. lean, and knock conditions can be used to turn off nitrous, shut down boost etc….

O.E.M. manufactured ECU’s – The ECU’s are built by an O.E. manufacturer, so all ecu are 100% tested for vibration, temperature, loading etc… BEFORE you install them into your vehicle. Pro EFI ECU’s are as reliable as the factory units you take out. No more being stranded on the side of the road, or waiting weeks or months to get and issue repaired with the confidence of rolling the dice.

Drive by wire capability!!

Make no mistake, the ProEFI computers are indeed next generation and are designed to bring O.E. quality and capability to the aftermarket, while allowing complete customization of the vehicles capabilities.

I cant tell you how excited that I am about this new computer...... It will revolutionize the aftermarket industry!! I am only telling you about 10% of its features...... The other 90% would blow your mind!!
Old 09-17-2007, 08:06 AM
SoundPerformance
Sponsor
Sound Performance

More info::

So Larry

How much do you know about this ecu?

I know more than anyone except for Jason!! I learn more everyday and will be going through extensive training when I am in AZ!!

How many inputs and outputs that are general outputs?

10 Low side driver outputs - You can configure these to do whatever you can imagine. Also these will all support 4+ amps each!!

How many of them are analog, how many digital?

Not sure on the digital part but I know that the computer will work with can bus equipped cars so there must be some digital outputs.

Can extra outputs run extra injectors (if you need more then 12) ?

You only have 12 dedicated inj outputs but because they are peak and hold, you can run more than one inj per output as long as you watch resistance.

Can the unused ignition/injector outputs be configured to run something else?

All I/O is configurable

How much bs is involved in re-pinning, will proefi provide extra pins?

The computers will come with all the pins that you need!!

How about a display of the software?

Soon!!

Is Jason Siebels the main point of contact, or will there be someone less condescending to deal with?

You have to deal with me!!

Will there be plug and play available for Toyota v8's, if not, will there be a flying lead to have a harness made for a race box of sorts?

Flying lead harness will be available. we will be looking at doing the V8 toyota but no promises as to timeframe.

If it's available this month or next, why can't we download and evaluate the software?

The software is not going to be "freeware", it can be had only with the dealer's discretion.

Can you give more details about the traction control and how it compares to a race logic box?

Soon I will have more details.. bu it will work using either rate of accel of engine per gear or wheel speed differential.

How much end user wiring will be required for a 'plug and play' application?

Not much..... just like any other ECU.... add the map sensor, AIT and wideband.

Will connectors be provided to piggyback existing wiring? (for example a male connector to use the now obsolete afm wiring)

Not as of now.... most people just hard wire the AIT in the harness.

Will it use smart or dumb coils? Is there a built in ignition amplifier?

You will need an ignitor of some sort.

Is this ecu what the AEM should have been?

Yes

Who is the OE manufacturer, Bosch?

Motorola
Old 09-17-2007, 08:06 AM
athenG

That answer everything I want but the price
Old 09-17-2007, 08:13 AM
SoundPerformance
Sponsor
Sound Performance

Here are some more highlights from the supraforums thread!!

New feature information of the day!!

I am going to give you guys a new feature every day or every other day!

Nitrous control:

Up to 4 stages!!

Control by speed, time, gear etc.....

Just enter the number of jets, jet size and target a/f and it does the rest!!

Add a nitrous bottle pressure sensor and it adjusts accordingly to pressure!!

Unlike other ECU's, you can target different a/fs for Nitrous with this unit in closed loop, or open loop, since the computer is based soley on V.E. it doesn't rely on the O2 sensor for hitting the desired a/f ratio. It does this based upon volumetric efficiency and desired equivelency ratio. Therefore there is less work for the O2 to do in closed loop, eliminating the chance for lean spikes typical of running nitrous!!!!

-------------------------------------------------------

Software will be available for the consumer.

Lets think about the biggest problem that other computer companies have had with their systems. Basically they gave the novice end user TOO MUCH control. Lets make this simpler for the end user. If you want 1500 RPM of idle speed at 70 degrees of water temp, why should you care about the 50 different ways that the computer goes about getting you there?? This computer will do all of that for you. You will be able to change some settings but complete fuel control, idle control strategies will not be accessible to the end user. You do not need them!! Playing with those will ultimately just mess things up!! This computer will do it for you, it will learn your car!! Just like a factory computer!! If your computer loses power, all learned values will NOT be lost. If you want to run 15 psi , you enter 15 psi !! It's done! All of the tables that figure out how to get you to 15psi are done for you and you do not need to mess with them.

Think about this.... all the threads about AEM EMS vs. HKS V pro. Everyone praises the HKS.... why?? Well first it is only 'tuned' by trained tuners. Secondly, if you have ever seen the software, there are far less maps, tables, etc to screw up!! With our new computer we are going to meet somewhere in the middle. You will not be locked out of the box like with HKS, but the complex tables and maps will not be accessible. You will be able to do some tweaking, boost control settings, data logging, idle speeds, etc.... Most of the time (99.99%) when someone brings me an AEM car and says that AEM sucks, and it doesn't work, they have played with things that whey shouldn't have and screwed it up or they have loaded up a map from another car that is incompatible with their setup!!

Trust me that you will not be disappointed!!

--------------------------------------------------------

How VE is calculated:

As for how v.e. is calculated... the answer is mathematically!

V.e. is calculated off of swept cylinder volume, number of cylinders, combustion events per rev (i.e. 2 stroke or 4 stroke.) Map pressure, v.e. table, exhaust back pressure, iat, coolant temp, throttle rate of change, and a few other things.

It is true speed density or mass air. By TRUE speed density, I mean that the mass of air is actually calculated with all the things I mentioned above... the AEM is NOT speed density... it is alpha N with a pressure lookup table, as are most all stand alones.

----------------------------------------------------------

That's because this basically operates like a stock ECU (and one of the most sophisticated ones) with the ability to program it ourselves!!

So when I say that this ECU will have OEM reliability, that is why!!

I have heard that the reliability testing on this computer is absurd.... it has to handle a 50G impact, can be dropped onto concrete from an 8ft height etc.....

--------------------------------------------------------------

New feature of the day!!

Fuel pressure compensation.

With the simple addition of a fuel pressure sensor, the computer will monitor and compensate for various fuel pressure. Lets say that you have a pump that is tired and your fuel pressure is not rising 1-1 any more. The computer will know and add necessary fuel. Also if the pressure really gets unstable causing the computer to add too much pulse width, it will trigger a check engine light. It can also be set to initiate fuel cut, turn off the boost control, shut off NOS and lower the rev limiter. These safe guards can be triggered by the fuel pressure alone, by O2 activity or a number of other things!!

---------------------------------------------------------------

Because of the high speed knock control strategies of theis computer, it can compesate for octane changes.... Of course you stil have to keep your boost levels in check with the octane that you are running!! But lets say that you normally run 93 octane and on a trip you come across a pump that only has 89 octane, the computer will be able to adapt.

You can add a toggle switch to trigger high octane, medium octane and low octane maps!!

Also with the addition of a special fuel sensor ( one that the factory flex fuel cars use) the computer will know if you run E85, or regular gas, or a mix and adjust accordingly!! Of course this has to be setup but the computer certainly has the ability!!

-------------------------------------------------------------

New feature of the day!!

Boost Control Strategies

Will be able to utilize dual solenoids to control pressure to both the top and bottom ports on any wastegate. This will give you VERY accurate control!!

Will be able to control boost by speed.

Will be able to control boost by time. Therefore if you spin the tires, and the vehicle speed sensor puts the boost map into a zone for higher boost.... the computer will know that it is wrong and hold the boost down until a certain amount of time.

Will control boost based on traction control. Traction control will be based on wheel speed differential!!

This computer will also know what gear you are in by simply entering gear ratios from the service manual, rear end ratio and tire size!!

--------------------------------------------------------------

We will have a network of trained dealers. I doubt that we will do any mail order. We do not want to make the same mistake as others of putting this into the hands of a novice. Like I said before, people love the F-con and hate the AEM.... because of this. Most of the associated problems of the AEM are because of poor installation and tuning.

This complete dealer plan is still being revised. We certainly do not want to lock out the end user. That is the one knock against F-con and why some wont purchase it. It is a touchy subject that we have thought about long and hard.

We are welcome to any ideas.

I know that the maps will be password protected. Certain people will only be able to access certain things... etc. Also the password protection will eliminate any map sharing. This will eliminate many problems. Of course there is no real need for map sharing as all computers will come pre programmed for the consumer's car!!
Old 09-17-2007, 08:13 AM
SoundPerformance
Sponsor
Sound Performance

That answer everything I want but the price

We are targeting about $2300-$2500 with all sensors included!!
Old 09-17-2007, 08:17 AM
athenG

Originally Posted by SoundPerformance
We are targeting about $2300-$2500 with all sensors included!!

What about Tuner/Dealer? EMS can be useless if there is no one know how to use it That seem to be very reasonable granted it will all add up if customer wanted to use all features.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:39 AM
SoundPerformance
Sponsor
Sound Performance

What about Tuner/Dealer? .

Like I said above..... there will be a network of trained dealers.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:40 AM
symalik

Wow Motorola EMS? Sweet maybe i can get a company discount
Old 09-17-2007, 08:57 AM
athenG

Originally Posted by SoundPerformance
Like I said above..... there will be a network of trained dealers.

Ok, I haven't read the entire thread but all this info are coming from the Supra Forum, do they have plan to make this all work with 350Z/G35 and how soon?
Old 09-17-2007, 09:00 AM
SoundPerformance
Sponsor
Sound Performance

Ok, I haven't read the entire thread but all this info are coming from the Supra Forum, do they have plan to make this all work with 350Z/G35 and how soon?

Yes!! and it will control the variable valve timing (both in and ex!) as well as drive by wire. The code is being written now for the Z. Id expect it to be about 2-3 months until we see some units for testing. Realistically Id guess them to be released to the public in the first months of 08.

Quick Reply: New EMS for 350Z