Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Temperature and Octane Rating Effects

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 11:44 AM
rr_z33

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Temperature and Octane Rating Effects

My car is currently in Hawaii but i plan to ship it up here to California in particular san francisco. i have a greddy twin turbo and just got a fuel return and new exhaust because i was recently running open test pipes. now i was planning to retune my car in hawaii but i just relized a few things while i was walking home today. ive only seen 91 octane as the best grade out here. unless they sell better somewhere. but in hawaii we have 92 octane. the other thing is the weather doesnt feel like staying the same here. its been in the 50s for the past few days and its supposed to go back into the 80s soon. so with all the variences should i wait it out until the car gets shipped out here to tune it with the temps and octane rating (1 lower than hawaii). or should i just go ahead and tune it and have it shipped here? i figure if im getting it tuned out here that id have to make the journey down to socal.. what would you guys do?
Old 09-20-2007, 12:06 PM
athenG

You want to tune your car on what ever gas you will be running just for safety. I don't think it will hurt if it is the other way around meaning you are tuned for 91 and you put 92 octane. The temp in LA can really be tricky especially at night and during the day so there is a big difference sometimes.
Old 09-20-2007, 05:22 PM
350Zzzz
Professional

I would wait and do my tuning in San Fran.........there are too many variables to consider;....car condition, weather, wider variety of tuners/tuning possibilities, the shipping alone could shift the mechanical/electronic parameters, ya-da, ya-da.

But if you think you have a good tuner and a ‘can’t refuse it deal’ then do it in Hawaii, take your chances but watch for changes when in SF.

The other consideration would be the gasoline blend in the bay area, over in the North East oxygenated fuel and ethanol seems to be a common bland, especially going into winter.

G
Old 09-20-2007, 07:34 PM
rr_z33

Originally Posted by 350Zzzz
I would wait and do my tuning in San Fran.........there are too many variables to consider;....car condition, weather, wider variety of tuners/tuning possibilities, the shipping alone could shift the mechanical/electronic parameters, ya-da, ya-da.

But if you think you have a good tuner and a ‘can’t refuse it deal’ then do it in Hawaii, take your chances but watch for changes when in SF.

The other consideration would be the gasoline blend in the bay area, over in the North East oxygenated fuel and ethanol seems to be a common bland, especially going into winter.

G
yeah i heard the gasoline is not so good. on my current tune it could handle about 20 degrees of temp variations without too much of a problem. its just another 10 degrees worries me. and the gasoline. if i get it tuned in cali though im gonna drive it down to GTM for a tune
Old 09-21-2007, 05:07 AM
Q45tech

Pump octane label is pretty meaningless for a performance car as it is an average of two different tests, both of which are meaningless for WOT high rpm operation.

Motor octane is always lower than research octane.
http://www.btinternet.com/~madmole/R...RONMONPON.html

The higest rpm measured is 900 rpm as we all know lean knock starts around 1500.

These test were created in the 1960 for 60"s engines.