Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Question about Greddy TT kit w/ open DP's

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2007, 07:13 AM
JAM3Z
Phenom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah, thats pretty much exactly what im looking for. some one mentioned something earlier about the car smelling like exhaust, which is something i obviously dont want. would i get that smell with this setup?
Old 10-02-2007, 07:18 AM
punish_her

Um I realy did not notice any but I've gotten use to the duals and TP's. Theoreticly you shouldnt notice any exhaust smell from the opening of the waste gates dumping becuase your accelerating fairly fast. Not like the formentioned exhaust setup that just passes it straight through.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:34 AM
taurran

Originally Posted by f1james
yeah, thats pretty much exactly what im looking for. some one mentioned something earlier about the car smelling like exhaust, which is something i obviously dont want. would i get that smell with this setup?
Your car is going to smell like exhaust unless you run stock or high flow cats. A turbo downpipe (such as the APS, AAM, or FP downpipes) are basically "test pipes" that bolt up to a turbo, meaning you eliminate the catalytic converters. On a turbo setup, you want absolutely no back pressure if you want to make the most efficient power. Unless you're willing to sacrifice a good amount of power, you're going to want to go with some large down pipes. The car will obviously smell a little if you stand behind it or let it idle in one place for a long time. It's not THAT bad, really.

As stated above, the wastegate dumps will alleviate some more back pressure, but the car won't smell any more because they only open when the turbos are spooling and the car is moving.

If you're set on running cats with the TT system, open wastegate dumps might not be a bad idea as they'd help alleviate some of the back pressure while the turbos are spooling.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:38 AM
IslandZavage

how much faster would the turbos spool up? Will the closeness (is that a word..lol?) of how soon they open up to 3inch differ in performance? Im comparing the SGP to the AAM's.. The SGP's seem too open up closer to the turbo..

Last edited by IslandZavage; 10-02-2007 at 07:48 AM.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:49 AM
taurran

Originally Posted by IslandZavage
how much faster would the turbos spool up?
With the open dumped wastegates? The spool should be SLIGHTLY improved, but on a TT setup I don't think you will really notice much difference. The gain comes from alleviating back pressure caused by recirculating the exhaust gasses back into the exhaust stream, which allows the turbos to flow larger volumes of air more efficiently, making more power.

Oh, and they sound cool too....
Old 10-02-2007, 08:00 AM
IslandZavage

Originally Posted by taurran
Oh, and they sound cool too....
I know.. I heard them this week at Bradenton and was like DAMN!!! Sounded so sick I have to have em.. I regret not doing them ...
Old 10-02-2007, 08:02 AM
IslandZavage

Hey Taurran
what about, Will the closeness of how soon they open up to 3inch differ in performance? Im comparing the SGP to the AAM's.. The SGP's seem too open up alot closer to the turbo..
Old 10-02-2007, 09:31 AM
taurran

Originally Posted by IslandZavage
Hey Taurran
what about, Will the closeness of how soon they open up to 3inch differ in performance? Im comparing the SGP to the AAM's.. The SGP's seem too open up alot closer to the turbo..
(Referring to down pipes)

I would think it would make a slight difference in theory, because the exhaust gasses should be the hottest right at the turbo exducer (and fully expanded). But we might be splitting hairs at that point when it comes to noticable performance increase. A shop that's played around with both sets of pipes might be able to give their opinion.

You could always buy both and do your own dyno comparison!
Old 10-02-2007, 10:03 AM
JAM3Z
Phenom

this has turned into a pretty informative thread
Old 10-09-2007, 05:22 PM
JAM3Z
Phenom

would thr AAM kit work with my nismo exhaust?
Old 10-09-2007, 06:21 PM
JAM3Z
Phenom

anyone...?
Old 10-09-2007, 06:30 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by f1james
would thr AAM kit work with my nismo exhaust?
I believe it would bolt up to the y-pipe, but using 3" downpipes on that exhaust would just defeat the purpose of the downpipes.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:38 PM
JAM3Z
Phenom

yeah, obviously to maximize the benifit of this setup, an exhaust like the EvoTT is a must. damn.....this is really starting to add up, lol.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:53 PM
rrmedicx

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is the SVRT set-up:

Installed:

The Left:

Both from a little further back:
Old 10-09-2007, 06:56 PM
JAM3Z
Phenom

^i see that those are the dump tubes. does the svrt include down pipes? btw, do you have a link to their site?
Old 10-09-2007, 07:01 PM
rrmedicx

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Unfortunately no they don't. I purchased a wastegate relocator kit because that is one of the known weaknesses of the Greddy. With a decent sized diameter test pipe and a free flowing exhaust you can make some really good power.

Here is the link:
http://www.svrtechnologies.com/1.html
Old 10-09-2007, 11:00 PM
punish_her

Originally Posted by rrmedicx
This is the SVRT set-up:

Yeah same as mine, but I went with the ceramic coating to help keep the radient heat down.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:17 AM
Sam405

I'll try to post my setup when i get the camera back.
Old 10-10-2007, 12:29 AM
JDMFairladyZ33

So how the hell do you kids pass emission with this setup?
Old 10-10-2007, 01:20 AM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i just installed my SGP 3" downpipes with open dumps over the weekend. i changed out my wastegate springs to 10.1 psi springs while i was in there since i am getting ready to tune it to 16-17 psi in the next few days hopefully.

i havent owned a car with open dump in a while. the sound is definatly stereophonic since there are 2 on this car rather than 1 like the last car i had it on. its extremely aggressive and i dig it for now, but sometime in spring/summer 08 i will bring it back into the downpipes.

i ran into issues with compatability between this setup, which is almost identical to the one in the pics above, and my fuel plumbing. I didnt like how close the fuel lines were to the wastegate extension pipe or the downpipe. i went ahead and made a custom hardpipe and new hoses that travel a different route than my standard stage 2 kit. i firesleeved everything as well, and heat wraped the hot parts in the area of concern. i also got rid of the goldish bracket that holds the wiring harness to the trans and used adel clamps to secure the harness about 1.5" further back to get it away from the hot parts.

ill try and get pics of it this week. at first i would concerned about the wastegate extension tube eventually cracking and my 38mm bouncing down the expressway, but when installing i noticed they used very damn thick wall pipe to reduce that risk.

Last edited by phunk; 10-10-2007 at 01:24 AM.

Quick Reply: Question about Greddy TT kit w/ open DP's