Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Question about Greddy TT kit w/ open DP's

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 06:23 PM
JAM3Z
Phenom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about Greddy TT kit w/ open DP's

As some of you may know, i have a Greddy TT kit w/ FMIC that i'm getting ready to install on my car. I've pretty much decided that i want to run open down pipes. from what i have read, this basically entails pipes leading away from the wastegate right into the atmosphere. so i thought it would be a fairly simple task to have my car set up with an open DP's. i was at the AAM site and found theirs were like $700. is that how much it actually costs to have open DP's, or are they just ripping people off. it seems kinda expensive for two pieces of metal tubing.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:03 PM
Bullitproof

the price is for the the downpipes and the dump tubes( 4 peices, i think). yes, they are worth it. it think svrt makes a set that are easier to install, but from what i have read the aam setup is more the bizness. i have the aam set on my ride and at wide open throttle there is no greater sound than those turbos venting to atmo.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:06 PM
usingthejohn

how much louder is the open dumps? and exactly how tolerable is the noise level (inside the car)?
Old 10-01-2007, 07:16 PM
Bullitproof

Originally Posted by usingthejohn
how much louder is the open dumps? and exactly how tolerable is the noise level (inside the car)?
they are loud, but only under full throttle. it sounds the turbos with no exhaust. driving around town though, it sounds like any turbo'd car.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:16 PM
JAM3Z
Phenom

ok, well, is $700 a reasonable price, or would it be cheaper to have my installer fab something up?
Old 10-01-2007, 07:19 PM
blueper4mancez

they had a special sales for 559 , gotta look around homie . check in the classifies section man.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:21 PM
usingthejohn

reason i ask is b/c i contemplate open dumps (i think they're pretty damn bad a$$), but since i live in Cali (damn carb *****), i don't want to add any more unecessary attention to my ride. If it's not a noticable difference unless you're WOT, then open dumps will also be on my list.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:23 PM
Bullitproof

go ahead and have him fab up something. and pay the price of a custom install. svrt and aam have done all the hard work designing and producing these 3" downpipes with dump tubes. the benefits you get from having 3 inch downpipes far outweigh 700 bucks.how much does one 3 inch downpipe cost in most turbo applications? but it's your money. the worst that could happen is your installer say it would cost more than 700 bucks, right?
Old 10-01-2007, 07:23 PM
Bullitproof

Originally Posted by usingthejohn
reason i ask is b/c i contemplate open dumps (i think they're pretty damn bad a$$), but since i live in Cali (damn carb *****), i don't want to add any more unecessary attention to my ride. If it's not a noticable difference unless you're WOT, then open dumps will also be on my list.

at part throttle it sounds like a normal tt car.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:38 PM
usingthejohn

bullit,

thanks for the answers (and for not flaming a newbie). open dumps in the future for me then.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:17 PM
JAM3Z
Phenom

Originally Posted by Bullitproof
go ahead and have him fab up something. and pay the price of a custom install. svrt and aam have done all the hard work designing and producing these 3" downpipes with dump tubes. the benefits you get from having 3 inch downpipes far outweigh 700 bucks.how much does one 3 inch downpipe cost in most turbo applications? but it's your money. the worst that could happen is your installer say it would cost more than 700 bucks, right?
i wasnt trying to start anything with you bro, but it just seems to me that $700 is steep for what is essentiall 4 metal tubes. maybe i'm misinformed though. anyways, thanks for the info.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:23 PM
taurran

You're getting "down pipes" and "wastegate dumps" mixed up. They're two totally seperate things. Down pipes exit the turbo to your exhaust (in the place where cats normally go), and dumps exit the wastegate discharge to the atmosphere instead of recirculating to the exhaust.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:55 PM
JAM3Z
Phenom

wow, thats exactly what i meant taurran, thanks for the clarification. so, to answer my question then, how expensive is it to equip a turbo 350Z with open dumps.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:35 PM
phunk
CJ Motorsports

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ya like taurran said... downpipes are the pipes off the turbos that go into the exhaust. open downpipes is running without a catback exhaust, and is loud all the time and makes the car smell like exhaust. only do that on race cars where you dont care and dont want the weight of the catback.

open wastegate dumps is hard to do on a greddy kit because the outlet tubes on the wastegate go RIGHT in the downpipe, they are like 1.5 - 2" long, so it would be hard to fab up a dump tube that goes around the downpipe rather than into it. this is why erveryone ends up getting 3" downpipes with open dump kit, because with new downpipes its all routed a tad different so there is clearance to even run dumps on the wastegates.

i have SGP 3" downpipes and open dump. I have not installed them yet, but was impressed and happy with the quality of them as they come out of the box. I was told they fit awesome, so i look forward to installing them next time i work on my car (havent worked on it since last winter, who says FI cant be reliable)
Old 10-01-2007, 10:54 PM
IslandZavage

Im looking into the SGP's. I like how they open up to 3in alot closer to the turbo than the AAM's.

To the OP, I didnt go with open wastegate dumps for my build cause i heard how loud they were, But i heard them this week the rack @ Bradenton and DAMN they sound so pimp... I regret not doing it, but look forward to getting them...
Old 10-02-2007, 01:23 AM
punish_her

I have the Greddy TT with ATMO dumps and I love them. They kinda get alittle louder the closer you get to max boost. Once you hit full boost and they open its wicked. I love them and SOOOO happy I have them. Wouldnt trade them for any thing.

EDIT: you definately need to go with a company that already has the geometry right. Too littel or too much angle and your burning wires and rubbing wastegates. Oh and they produce ALOT of heat so you may think about the ceramic coatings.

Last edited by punish_her; 10-02-2007 at 01:43 AM.
Old 10-02-2007, 04:27 AM
Bullitproof

Originally Posted by taurran
You're getting "down pipes" and "wastegate dumps" mixed up. They're two totally seperate things. Down pipes exit the turbo to your exhaust (in the place where cats normally go), and dumps exit the wastegate discharge to the atmosphere instead of recirculating to the exhaust.
Check aam's website. the downpipe kit comes with the dump pipes included for 700 bucks. i dont know if svrt's are separate, but i would not imagine so.

Fifth paragraph down:
http://www.alteredatmosphere.com/mm5...y_Code=350Z_FI

i didnt chime in to demean anyone, cuz i'm no mechanic by any means, just to inform others what i've learned here.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:22 AM
JAM3Z
Phenom

wow, thanks for all the response everyone
Old 10-02-2007, 06:37 AM
rhythmnsmoke

If you just want the open WG's without the down pipes, does anyone sell just that? I don't see how it's that difficult to fab up to tubes if you just want open WG's though. Would need to get that little flange to close up the holes in the exhaust where the WG pipe is suppose to be routed.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:08 AM
punish_her

Originally Posted by rhythmnsmoke
If you just want the open WG's without the down pipes, does anyone sell just that? I don't see how it's that difficult to fab up to tubes if you just want open WG's though. Would need to get that little flange to close up the holes in the exhaust where the WG pipe is suppose to be routed.

SVR Tech waste gate relocation kit is what your looking for. There is a plate that block's the old recerculation point in the DP's. There is a neck that brings the waste gatedown and the dump tubes attach to the old outlet.

Sorry its a little big but my PS quit working so I cant resize.

You can see the relocation and dump tubes quite well. Along with the block off plate too.

They come off and down along the transmission like this:

AGAIN SORRY FOR THE SIZE

Quick Reply: Question about Greddy TT kit w/ open DP's