Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Stillen Supercharger Owners...

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 01:28 PM
iStan
ZR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I thinking he pretty much lives across the Street from Mike, so it almost made sense.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:30 PM
WA2GOOD
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by istan
Well, I thinking he pretty much lives across the Street from Mike, so it almost made sense.
Ok since Mike pretty much gets his knowledge from what I tell him, that makes since.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:53 PM
Nforce1

Originally Posted by WA2GOOD
Wow Arif, looked at what you started, Hahahaah. j/k
How many miles have you put on your car since I installed your stage 3 Stillen?

The exhaust is not too much of a gain or a loss either way. If more power is the goal with this Stillen kit, the only other thing here lately that I have seen add a little help to the car is a water/meth injection kit. Not alot of gain, but I have seen 10 whp. from meth on a Stillen kit. This and cams are the only way to realy extract any more power from these Eaton/Stillen blowers, and the gains will still be minimul. Since cams and install is a costly option, it looks like Meth is the way to go and the vegas heat will like it as well.

Let me know.......

Haha, yeah... At times I think I should have gone with the JWT kit, but I just love the whine so much, also others assure me it was a good choice as well with my moderate goal of power. Lets see, I dropped off the car to you hitting 55,000 miles and by tomorrow will hit 75,000. I had the kit done over new years weekend!!

Last time I drove out to stillen, I believe they quoted me $1,200 for the stage 4 including install... thats still an option, but still more than I want to spend at the moment I think. This is pretty much for informational purposes right now. But out of curiosity.. How much do Meth injection kits run for and install for?
Old 10-12-2007, 01:56 PM
Nforce1

I'll trade you! haha. GL with the power search. Mike should be able to give you some insight from his Stillen on his G.
I actually want to ride in your car, I have yet to... I want to see what the power difference and power curve feels like.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:59 PM
iStan
ZR

I'm busy tonight, but give me a call tomorrow. I'm on Len's wheels now so the car is up and running.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:05 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well i think i had the stillen for almost longer the anyone out there but for a small few.First roots style blower,s do like backpressure but that being said there is no problem with going with a true dual as long as it is no more then 2.5".I really could not feel a difference when i put my borla td(again one of the only choices but for 1 or 2 others in mid 2003) on except maybe just a tad better up top.If i were you i would just get the stage 4 cause it is much better then stage 3 and it is not hard to install at all.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:16 PM
Z ELIMINATOR

I have dynode my stage 4 and with the headers. it make 303 RWHP its a 5 AT. They are costing me between 8 to 10 hp.
With headers on stage 2 it made 272 rwhp, I then changed the cats and it made 266.
I had the blower ported, with headers and i broke something in # 2 cylinder, ( lost 40 psig ) and it made 302 RWHP.
I just got my GTM SC cams from Sam, They are going into my spare block in the next few months and i will post the results.
I also am putting in a emanage ulitimate with 440 injectors.
Im very interested in the meth injection.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:20 PM
iStan
ZR

Hey, you want to swing my Garths and get dynoed next Sat? I think Jordan wants in too.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:22 PM
Nforce1

Hey, you want to swing my Garths and get dynoed next Sat? I think Jordan wants in too.
Im afraid of being disappointed. lol
Old 10-12-2007, 10:39 PM
BJZED

Default Stillen s/c & how to make it better.

Originally Posted by Nforce1
I just wanted to find out what other mods people have added to get more performance out of the stillen supercharger. I know that the supercharger isn't very upgradeable and there arent many things you can do to get more power. But Im sure there are a few things that can be done to squeeze a little more power out. From my understanding, breather mods for this kit actually lose HP... is there anyone with other mods that have added power and/or enhanced performance??

Im currently at Stage 3 with intake, thats all I have as far as performance.

I don't want this thread to be turned into "You should have bought *insert brand here* supercharger/turbo" ... I bought the stillen kit well knowing what power it gives and its limited upgrade ability.. So please refrain from responding if thats all your going to add.
I have a Stillen blower in my 2006 5AT Z and find it does exactly what I expected and hoped for...a dramatic increase in torque and grunt without the need to rev the hell out of the engine. I've had turbos in a 2002 WRX, a 93 RX7 and an older Supra - so know about turbos. They have their uses. This is my first s/c and I got it for the low rpm tq it provides. In the real world of everyday street and hiway use, there is not much opportunity for extreme 1/4 mile performance - not if you want to keep your licence...and not if your'e a responsible driver. The Stillen kit gives a nice performance improvement, makes passing slower traffic easy, is reliable and easy on the motor. You know before your buy that it only gives 4-7 psi boost so you know that compared to a tt set up where you can have 12/14 psi etc. there's no power comparison!
A stage 3 pulley, a Stillen dual path exhaust and their cai gives about all the improvement I need. (plus an autobox upgrade)
The stage 4 mod will pretty much max out the capability of this type of blower and the engine, without expensive mods - if more is needed, tt is the way to go fer sure.
Each has its own niche...but any stock Z out just fades away in my mirrors whenever I want it to. my 3 cents (Canadian)
Old 10-13-2007, 03:32 AM
zprincess

Originally Posted by BJZED
I have a Stillen blower in my 2006 5AT Z and find it does exactly what I expected and hoped for...a dramatic increase in torque and grunt without the need to rev the hell out of the engine. I've had turbos in a 2002 WRX, a 93 RX7 and an older Supra - so know about turbos. They have their uses. This is my first s/c and I got it for the low rpm tq it provides. In the real world of everyday street and hiway use, there is not much opportunity for extreme 1/4 mile performance - not if you want to keep your licence...and not if your'e a responsible driver. The Stillen kit gives a nice performance improvement, makes passing slower traffic easy, is reliable and easy on the motor. You know before your buy that it only gives 4-7 psi boost so you know that compared to a tt set up where you can have 12/14 psi etc. there's no power comparison!
A stage 3 pulley, a Stillen dual path exhaust and their cai gives about all the improvement I need. (plus an autobox upgrade)
The stage 4 mod will pretty much max out the capability of this type of blower and the engine, without expensive mods - if more is needed, tt is the way to go fer sure.
Each has its own niche...but any stock Z out just fades away in my mirrors whenever I want it to. my 3 cents (Canadian)
+1

I did the same thing. I love it. It is not going to beat a single or a twin turbo in a 1/4 race but who cares. I don't race it. It's a roadster and I love the way it looks and drives.
Old 10-13-2007, 05:48 AM
halfass872

IMO Stillen is the most practical choice for good gains, great sound, and daily drivability!!!
Old 10-13-2007, 07:12 AM
Nforce1

IMO, The stillen isnt worth the cost that they sell it for ($5,500+ for stage 3), but I got an awesome deal on my whole package which is why I went for it. I had no plans on going FI, it was a decision I made in 20 minutes when I saw the deal.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:23 AM
roger22

Default Stillen

Stillen is the best for anybody who wants the extra HP/TQ now. Obviously it won't beat any turbo set-up up top. For the $$ best bolt on that is already tuned and street legal with no hassles. Either get a Stage 2 or 4 though. The stage 1 will suffer in the summers, the stage 3 will run lean during certain conditions. Stage 4 will run the same A/F's as the two, you can also swap the 3 and 4 pulleys when you have done a 4 to run even safer A/F's. This is the recommended setup for road racing per Stillen. I'm surprised someone only got 303Rwhp on a stage 4 even with an AT. Should be closer to 325-330rwhp. Interesting that the cat change showed a loss of power too.
Old 10-13-2007, 10:54 AM
Z ELIMINATOR

The headers are hurting the RWHP #'s. We will see what it makes on my new engine block with the cams. The other problem is that the M-62 is a little to small for the 3.5 L engine.
I also have a 9 lb pulley on it, Not much differnce, but it pull harder of the line.
Nice kit, but if i had to do it all agian i would go twin turbo's
Old 10-13-2007, 03:51 PM
WA2GOOD
Banned

Originally Posted by Z ELIMINATOR
Nice kit, but if i had to do it all agian i would go twin turbo's
Ahhhh. If I only had a dollar for everytime I have heard those words. (I could afford to finish my G) Hahahaha
Old 10-14-2007, 04:36 AM
zprincess

Originally Posted by WA2GOOD
Ahhhh. If I only had a dollar for everytime I have heard those words. (I could afford to finish my G) Hahahaha
lol It seems a lot of people on this site want max whp which is attainable with tt kits. It is interesting to see how every time you change something on the Z it affects something else. Earlier this week I saw a tt Z running with its hood open and observed the power steering fluid boiling.

I have read numereous threads about that problem, air conditioning lines melting, etc. Each person has their own ideas as to what they want. I am always amazed by all the Stillen bashers on this site.

I used to be a jet engine mechanic in the air force. I can tell you that safe and dependable is VERY important.

My car may not be the fastest, some of you may not like my paint job. I don't care. I love it and I win at car shows. I got a trophy last night at one.
Old 10-14-2007, 12:29 PM
helldorado

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's an explanation I had posted on another site in a thread on why headers and test pipes lose power with the Stillen. Hope this helps.

A lot of it comes from that they're using a roots blower. With a CSC, lysolm or turbo, the air that comes from the turbine outlet is already compressed. With a roots blower, it just comes out faster, but still at atmosphere pressure. They don't compress the air within the unit, like the others do. The compression takes place between the blower and intake valves, in your intake manifold.

On a 4 stroke cycle, when the piston is dropping down the cylinder and the intake valve opens, a vacuum is created in the cylinder. Because of the overlap portion of the cam duration, the exhaust valve is still open. An appropriate level of back pressure allows the incoming air/fuel mixture to completely fill the cylinder. Too much back pressure, keeps exhaust gases in the cylinder, not enough draws the air/fuel mixture out through the exhaust valve.

So on a boosted application, since the intake manifold is no longer at atmospheric pressure, the pressure there is pretty much always higher than the pressure in the exhaust, so during the overlap phase, some of the air/fuel mixture is pushed out the exhaust valve. With a turbo or csc, the air that is added is already pressurized so its easier for the entire intake manifold to retain that air pressure level as air is rushing out the exhaust manifold. With the roots blower, it has to repressurize the entire intake manifold by pushing more ambient air into the chamber.

Since a roots blower is positive displacement, it pushes a fixed amount of air per revolution. So when the intake manifold pressure drops, there is only so much the unit can do to raise it back up and add extra air to the mix. This is extremely tough for the unit at higher rpms, why the Stillen doesn't generate huge peak whp. But at lower rpms, its much easier since the valves stay open longer. Why it generates such great low end torque.

Its not as much that you need a lot of backpressure for the unit to operate. Its that you need the right amount to keep the pressurized air/fuel mix from going straight out the exhaust valve and keeping it in the cylinder for maximum power. And the right amount is pretty much at stock backpressure levels.

Since stock NA cams have a decent amount of overlap, that's why aftermarket FI cams are are one of the few mods that help because they have more lift and less overlap. Helps to eliminate the blow by because you don't need the positive / negative pressure areas to draw in the intake charge like with NA.

Overlap timing isn't the only problem with the Stillen though, it just helps to explain the backpressure issue. Because overlap decreases at higher rpms, but the intake charge gets hotter and hotter from the blower spinning faster so you get diminishing returns. Its a lot of different things working together.

Blower size and the nature of the roots design with the M62 really just make it what it is.
Old 10-14-2007, 10:50 PM
BJZED

thnx for the explanation helldorado...nice to have some knowledgeable commentary on the topic....
Old 10-14-2007, 11:01 PM
Nforce1

If I can find a good deal on stage 4, thats probably what Ill end up doing....

Quick Reply: Stillen Supercharger Owners...