Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Stillen Supercharger Owners...

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007, 05:48 PM
Nforce1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stillen Supercharger Owners...

I just wanted to find out what other mods people have added to get more performance out of the stillen supercharger. I know that the supercharger isn't very upgradeable and there arent many things you can do to get more power. But Im sure there are a few things that can be done to squeeze a little more power out. From my understanding, breather mods for this kit actually lose HP... is there anyone with other mods that have added power and/or enhanced performance??

Im currently at Stage 3 with intake, thats all I have as far as performance.

I don't want this thread to be turned into "You should have bought *insert brand here* supercharger/turbo" ... I bought the stillen kit well knowing what power it gives and its limited upgrade ability.. So please refrain from responding if thats all your going to add.

Last edited by Nforce1; 10-11-2007 at 05:55 PM.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:20 PM
realwildone2

Default realwildone2

you can add a "true dual" exhaust and get a bit more power. After all, it's about a good breathing engine. Combined with FI this should help some. Not to mention it will have a deeper tone.

2006 GT, Interlagos, Stage II, CAI, True Dual, 6mt
Old 10-11-2007, 06:30 PM
Nexx

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by realwildone2
you can add a "true dual" exhaust and get a bit more power. After all, it's about a good breathing engine. Combined with FI this should help some. Not to mention it will have a deeper tone.

2006 GT, Interlagos, Stage II, CAI, True Dual, 6mt
wtf, you sir need to stfu. please dont misinform our fellow members with generalizations thats arent always true. stillen is designed for a stock Z. the roots style blower loves back pressure. free flowing exhaust works against this. thats the beauty of the stillen kit. keep everything except the stillen stock and you are golden. now, expect to be the laughing stock of F/I community if you spend your money on this kit. if your goals are 300 to 320whp with nice torquey performance around town then this kit is for you. if you want monster quarter mile/highway performance, you should skip this kit. oh, the stillen sounds badass.
Old 10-11-2007, 06:42 PM
Nforce1

Originally Posted by Nexx
wtf, you sir need to stfu. please dont misinform our fellow members with generalizations thats arent always true. stillen is designed for a stock Z. the roots style blower loves back pressure. free flowing exhaust works against this. thats the beauty of the stillen kit. keep everything except the stillen stock and you are golden. now, expect to be the laughing stock of F/I community if you spend your money on this kit. if your goals are 300 to 320whp with nice torquey performance around town then this kit is for you. if you want monster quarter mile/highway performance, you should skip this kit. oh, the stillen sounds badass.

Exactly what Ive heard about exhaust/headers, etc, I just didnt want to start any flaming so early in the thread lol.... Also, that was exact power levels I was looking for being my DD. Thank you for your imput!
Old 10-11-2007, 08:03 PM
realwildone2

Default realwildone2

Originally Posted by Nexx
Well, it's obvious you don't have a "clue". Certainly most all engines enjoy/need some backpressure to work well. The majority of the boost pressure helps to put more "charge", fuel and air volumn into the cylinder during the intake event where then the valves "do close" if I remember correctly..during the compression/power stroke. Remember the basic internal combustion operation? IT still works in conjunction with a "blower". Then spent gasses are helped out by a pulse generated in the exhaust due to some backpressure. Overall, a free flowing exhaust "will increase" the power, however there will be a change in the torque band which will max out a bit later in the RPM range. Next time you intend to show your "knowledge" on line you might do a little research. NO ONE ever said Stillen was a TT killer comparison.
Old 10-12-2007, 05:26 AM
halfass872

Well, it's obvious you don't have a "clue". Certainly most all engines enjoy/need some backpressure to work well. The majority of the boost pressure helps to put more "charge", fuel and air volumn into the cylinder during the intake event where then the valves "do close" if I remember correctly..during the compression/power stroke. Remember the basic internal combustion operation? IT still works in conjunction with a "blower". Then spent gasses are helped out by a pulse generated in the exhaust due to some backpressure. Overall, a free flowing exhaust "will increase" the power, however there will be a change in the torque band which will max out a bit later in the RPM range. Next time you intend to show your "knowledge" on line you might do a little research. NO ONE ever said Stillen was a TT killer comparison.

Nexx is correct! A roots style blower looses power when you take away back pressure. I have an electric exhaust cutout that bypasses my muffler, and you can feel the loss as soon as i open it. AND Stillen clearly states on their website that adverse performance will occur with use of aftermarket headers, cats, and exhaust.

1-866-250-5542....Stillen Performance ask for Chuck Clemens. He's their 350z supercharger tech. He'll teach you all you need to know!

Case closed!
Old 10-12-2007, 06:28 AM
JMS71585

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had called Stillen about a year ago, asking some questions on their supercharger for my Z. They had informed me that an aftermarket CAT-BACK exhaust would yield a little more power. Aftermarket headers and cats were not recommended. I had asked if my nismo exhaust would yield me a loss in power and he recommended that i keep the nismo over stock. He said it will yield you a little more power, not much though. So it sounds like an aftermarket CAT-BACK exhaust would be ok with a stillen S/C...
Old 10-12-2007, 06:42 AM
abui01

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like how this guy throws out technical jargon of the internal workings of the VQ in order to back up his case in attempt to display his knowledge pertaining to Stillen Superchargers. Can you please find some factual information in a form of perhaps a website URL supporting your case relating to a Stillen Roots style blower "gaining" power from true duals? I would love to be intrigued with this new fascinating information.
Old 10-12-2007, 07:08 AM
halfass872

Originally Posted by abui01
I like how this guy throws out technical jargon of the internal workings of the VQ in order to back up his case in attempt to display his knowledge pertaining to Stillen Superchargers. Can you please find some factual information in a form of perhaps a website URL supporting your case relating to a Stillen Roots style blower "gaining" power from true duals? I would love to be intrigued with this new fascinating information.

+1
Old 10-12-2007, 07:09 AM
TENGAI

Nforce1 - PM superchargedg. He's running the GReddy TT setup now, but ran the Stillen blower for a few years before cutting over. I believe he went through all of Stillen's upgrade tracks (up to Stage IV) and can help tell you about the pros and cons of each along with what did and didn't help...

Good luck.
Old 10-12-2007, 09:55 AM
Nforce1

Thanks for the imput...
Old 10-12-2007, 10:02 AM
athenG

Any Exhaust mod (ie, Headers, TP..) will hurt Stillen, it is a known fact so don't even try to wow us with your basic knowledge.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:04 PM
realwildone2

Default realwildone2

Originally Posted by athenG
Any Exhaust mod (ie, Headers, TP..) will hurt Stillen, it is a known fact so don't even try to wow us with your basic knowledge.
I don't disagree that utilization of headers, race pipes will adversely affect the Stillen, however, according to Stillen, the application of the true dual system will not affect the boost because the needed backpressure is maintained by the presence of the catalytic converter. From the converter back the exhaust does flow better with a small increase in power. No where in installation manuals does it say performance will be adversely affected by addition of "exhaust". That's what this is about.....or just another opportunity to take a shot at Stillen products?

2006 Interlagos, Stage II, CAI, True Dual, 6m
Old 10-12-2007, 12:06 PM
athenG

true a dual exhaust is the only mod you can pretty much add that won't hurt but anything more than that is a waste.
Old 10-12-2007, 12:54 PM
realwildone2

Default realwildone2

I believe that's what I said at the beginning of this thread before the "shootout"......

2006 GT, Interlagos, Stage II, CAI, True Dual, 6m
Old 10-12-2007, 01:08 PM
roger22

Default Stillen

Originally Posted by Nforce1
I just wanted to find out what other mods people have added to get more performance out of the stillen supercharger. I know that the supercharger isn't very upgradeable and there arent many things you can do to get more power. But Im sure there are a few things that can be done to squeeze a little more power out. From my understanding, breather mods for this kit actually lose HP... is there anyone with other mods that have added power and/or enhanced performance??

Im currently at Stage 3 with intake, thats all I have as far as performance.

I don't want this thread to be turned into "You should have bought *insert brand here* supercharger/turbo" ... I bought the stillen kit well knowing what power it gives and its limited upgrade ability.. So please refrain from responding if thats all your going to add.
If you are at a Stage 3, why not do the Stage 4 for another 750.00 instead of any intake or exhaust and get an extra 20-25 rwhp and Tq.

It is much safer to run the Stage 4 setup with the high rate fuel pump, larger injector and flashed box with the Stage 3 or 4 pulley anyway. Stage 3 is at the limit of fuel flow with the smaller injector....
Old 10-12-2007, 01:20 PM
iStan
ZR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'll trade you! haha. GL with the power search. Mike should be able to give you some insight from his Stillen on his G.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:21 PM
WA2GOOD
Banned

Wow Arif, looked at what you started, Hahahaah. j/k
How many miles have you put on your car since I installed your stage 3 Stillen?

The exhaust is not too much of a gain or a loss either way. If more power is the goal with this Stillen kit, the only other thing here lately that I have seen add a little help to the car is a water/meth injection kit. Not alot of gain, but I have seen 10 whp. from meth on a Stillen kit. This and cams are the only way to realy extract any more power from these Eaton/Stillen blowers, and the gains will still be minimul. Since cams and install is a costly option, it looks like Meth is the way to go and the vegas heat will like it as well.

Let me know.......

Last edited by WA2GOOD; 10-12-2007 at 01:23 PM.
Old 10-12-2007, 01:22 PM
iStan
ZR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

^Oh yeah, Scott could give some insight too. haha
Old 10-12-2007, 01:27 PM
WA2GOOD
Banned

Originally Posted by istan
^Oh yeah, Scott could give some insight too. haha
Hahahaha, duh, you think?? j/k

Quick Reply: Stillen Supercharger Owners...