Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Limits of the JWT clutch and flywheel

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 12:30 PM
buzzardmountain

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Nforce1
If I read right before, I think he even said he would pay for part of it.

Originally Posted by Philthy
....My offer to pay for your runs at GTM still stands... I'll even pay GTM to pull your valve cover and examine the studs.....
Old 10-23-2007, 12:31 PM
Nforce1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, we're all ignorant haters for asking questions and wanting some back up proof or at least an explanation beside, 'voodoo engine building techniques' or 'the way we tune'... ?
I think people are reading too much into it. If it works, then it works... Whats there to explain?? If you dont believe it, then go see it.

If you get two stock cars built one right after another right off the assembly line and have them both dyno'd ...one makes more power than the other... Why?? How can this be?! .... It just does!
Old 10-23-2007, 12:32 PM
Philthy
Boost Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SinCity350Z
Colonel Sanders has kept his recipe for delicious fried chicken for ages. Maybe you should focus on getting that instead..
OK, I got it now - it's a 'SECRET'...

Same old, same old...
Old 10-23-2007, 12:34 PM
dutchboy

Originally Posted by WA2GOOD
I tell you, it has alot to do with the tune. We have a nitch and it works, lets leave it at that. The combination of Mark B's building specs, torque settings, etc., and the way we tune the cars with JWT's Clark and Jim is obviously a combination that works.

Please everybody, lets not hate on things that you can not understand yourself. That is the true meaning of ignorance. (not calling anyone that)

As much as you all get baffled because you can not figure out to make the motors last at the power levels we are at with the parts we use, I am equally baffled how people wil continue to pay for overbuilt things that they do not need. Maybe it makes them feel better
Ok, whatever. I'll stop "hating" and trying to understand how a difference in tune and some magical torque specs can overcome the massive pressure being produce by your motors at such high power levels.

Thanks for the clarification.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:35 PM
WA2GOOD
Banned

I just want to let you know that Scott really doesn't think that its magic voodoo that holds these motors together. He is aware that that is impossible.
I don't know...... I saw this one movie this one time........ LMAO! hahaha

But seriously now. It gets a little old that I can not even put up a thread about being shocked about the longevity of a clutch and all hell breaks loose. I am just going to have to consentrate on hopeing that the shop and the cars are still there when all the fire stuff calms down. Got alot on my mind with SEMA, Upcomming Time Attack Finals, and more importantly helping out friends that are loosing their houses in the fires. Hope we have a shop to go back to.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:37 PM
Philthy
Boost Junkie

I think people are reading too much into it. If it works, then it works... Whats there to explain?? If you dont believe it, then go see it.
Seriously, I'm NOT HATING - again, no one that I know of or on this forum has had any luck with stock studs and head gasket combo at +600whp level, not to mention +700whp... so, it hasn't worked, and the reason why we've all been asking for an explanation...
Old 10-23-2007, 12:38 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

When comparing clutches, here are a couple more points to consider:

1) Drag racing, or "slipping" the clutch requires a much stronger clutch, and something more durable than a clutch being is used on a circuit course. Clean, rev-match shifting is not that abusive to a clutch

2) If the operator sets up their dyno with a very brief ramp rate (maybe 2-3 seconds), there will be very little load placed on the engine and drivetrain. So whilst the clutch may hold power on that free spinning dyno, it make not hold power under heavy load, or an aggressive launch. I recall that VRT's dyno videos illustrated this very clearly, with their seemingly free spinning ramp rates. The speed traveled from 70mph to 150mph in a couple of seconds.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:38 PM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

no one that I know of since on this forum has had any luck with stock studs and head gasket combo at +600whp level, not to mention +700whp...
You know us...
Old 10-23-2007, 12:40 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

and more importantly helping out friends that are loosing their houses in the fires. Hope we have a shop to go back to.
I am sorry to hear about that. Where is your shop located? Is it in the range of those nasty fires?

Most industrial/commercial areas tend to be in regions where fire can't get to them. Seems like most of the fires are in the residential hillside areas. So hopefully your shop will be spared.

I lived in Socal for 10 years, so I know the area pretty well.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:40 PM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Originally Posted by Sharif@Forged
When comparing clutches, here are a couple more points to consider:

1) Drag racing, or "slipping" the clutch requires a much stronger clutch, and something more durable than a clutch being is used on a circuit course. Clean, rev-match shifting is not that abusive to a clutch

2) If the operator sets up their dyno with a very brief ramp rate (maybe 2-3 seconds), there will be very little load placed on the engine and drivetrain. So whilst the clutch may hold power on that free spinning dyno, it make not hold power under heavy load, or an aggressive launch. I recall that VRT's dyno videos illustrated this very clearly, with their seemingly free spinning ramp rates. The speed traveled from 70mph to 150mph in a couple of seconds.
Well we also left for a time attack at Willow Springs the night of that dyno and the clutch was fine. What it really is, is that the clutch is most likely right in its "sweet spot" of clamping force. Had it been brand new, the results might not have been the same.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:42 PM
Philthy
Boost Junkie

You know us...
Yes, I do know you guys...
Old 10-23-2007, 12:47 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My point is, we haven't seen any reason to re-invent the wheel on that yet and my car, as well as others, are proof that the OEM head studs and gaskets can be perfectly ok to use in high horsepower FI motors. You can choose to install the aftermarket stuff if you want, but we haven't found a need to yet.
I simply dont trust those dyno numbers/curves given the psi. Too bad the only high hp car from Cali that have been run at the track (1/4 to verify power) off the top of my head are mrtomcat and bigbri's old set-up.

I'll use bigbri as an example - he is very similar to this one. He had a crackhead Dastek 700whp plot-much like the one in this thread nobody believed it. BUT!!! --->he backed it with a 134mph trap SPINNING (over -3 rear camber IIRC), now that car had more in it, BUT it made sense.

Scott doesnt drag race and the only other car to run down the 1/4 that has been on that dyno is you, IIRC it was LONG ago you ran mid 13's @ 111mph with 540+whp....maybe the proof is in the pudding?

How hard is it to get a car to a Dynojet, change the correction to SAE or STD and post it? It will end all doubt....if you havent found a need to upgrade you arent running the power levels claimed at the track its very simple.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:51 PM
Nforce1

Originally Posted by Alberto
How hard is it to get a car to a Dynojet, change the correction to SAE or STD and post it? It will end all doubt....if you havent found a need to upgrade you arent running the power levels claimed at the track its very simple.

No, but that is a good idea. If we did just that..... in a week or so, would that shut you up and be the end of all this ???
Old 10-23-2007, 12:54 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

I saw that I have read "DJ in a week or so" for over a year now, I along with many others arent holding our breath....

As much as you all get baffled because you can not figure out to make the motors last at the power levels we are at with the parts we use, I am equally baffled how people wil continue to pay for overbuilt things that they do not need. Maybe it makes them feel better
I am equally baffled how you trapped 111mph running 12psi of boost and the claimed power levels. AND thats taking your altitude into account. Nothing adds up with this whole situation. Sounds to me like you have been brain washed into accepting cutting corners is "ok", but hey if your happy with it more power to you...
Old 10-23-2007, 12:55 PM
SinCity350Z
Track Whore

Originally Posted by Alberto
I simply dont trust those dyno numbers/curves given the psi. Too bad the only high hp car from Cali that have been run at the track (1/4 to verify power) off the top of my head are mrtomcat and bigbri's old set-up.

I'll use bigbri as an example - he is very similar to this one. He had a crackhead Dastek 700whp plot-much like the one in this thread nobody believed it. BUT!!! --->he backed it with a 134mph trap SPINNING (over -3 rear camber IIRC), now that car had more in it, BUT it made sense.

Scott doesnt drag race and the only other car to run down the 1/4 that has been on that dyno is you, IIRC it was LONG ago you ran mid 13's @ 111mph with 540+whp....maybe the proof is in the pudding?

LOL, you can't be serious. Even more un-reliable than dynos is 1/4 mile times. Now you are throwing in elevation, track conditions, tire choice, suspension setup, DRIVER ERROR, and so much more.
Old 10-23-2007, 12:59 PM
Nforce1

...This site should really set up a chat room! lol
Old 10-23-2007, 01:01 PM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

LOL, you can't be serious. Even more un-reliable than dynos is 1/4 mile times. Now you are throwing in elevation, track conditions, tire choice, suspension setup, DRIVER ERROR, and so much more.

when is the next event Mike?

...This site should really set up a chat room! lol

abnd as i think synth suggested an OT-Fi subforum lol

sorry XKR
i didn't post to instigate you i was just pointing that besides the OP Jeremy has gotten a lot of power from the clutch and that on the same dyno you tuned the rps hold ed for 550whp....
i didn't think that was instigating...but i guess i should have elaborated more

Last edited by IIQuickSilverII; 10-23-2007 at 01:06 PM.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:04 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

I am dead serious, 1/4 times dont lie, they tell a drivers skill/traction-not the subject here, TRAP SPEEDS NEVER LIE, they indicate power given the weight. IMO there has been no "proof" of the claims, you came no where close to trapping what a car of your power should trap, it doesnt matter if it was your first time or billionth. Ive been seeing claims of XXX hp XXX tq for a long time. Myself along with many other members and even shops have asked for unbiased Dyno's (DJ's) with no success. Some of the hp/tq combinations that have been posted on that particular dyno especially given the boost levels makes it very suspect-with insane power levels NO OTHER SHOP has com eclose to, crazy TQ numbers at low rpm's and silly power peaks! That is all I have to say, this isnt a personal attack I have nothing against you/Relentless/Scott Im just sick of claims being made "stock studs and hg hold XXX whp, JWT clutch holds XXX whp" when we dont trust those numbers, its not a hard concept to grasp, yet everytime from the woodworks come the nuthuggers(not calling any names getting personal!)-obviously biased cuz they had their mods done by a shop/person in question telling us all how things "really are"

Last edited by Alberto; 10-23-2007 at 01:09 PM.
Old 10-23-2007, 01:05 PM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

True! but the trap speed does not lie... Its does not lie!
We have talked about this over and over, but for me, I could care less what I make on the dyno, I always put what the dyno read to the test at the track. IMO my car runs what the dyno reads.

The drag strip does not lie!!
Old 10-23-2007, 01:06 PM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

***** ALBERTO you beat me to the post by seconds

Quick Reply: Limits of the JWT clutch and flywheel