Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Procharger 400 RWHP!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2003, 11:52 AM
350Zwannabe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default DON't FORGET..

Originally posted by Slareau02
Lexus GS 430, LS430, SC430, Infiniti Q45 and M45 all have V-8s I do believe. And Nissan technicaly does have a v8 platform in the M45 and Q45.
Don't forget the new Lexus IS 430 coming out soon. It will compete with Audi S4 and BMW M3! Your right about the M45 and Q45 hint hint. Look at Audi A6 4.2 V8 and S6 Avant now the new S4 engine derived from those cars. Do you know how many issues the old S4 had with there turbos? Of coarse most only if people chipped them and almost everyone did. Kaboom! I'm on my second set except now K04s. The manufactures are seeing that warranty work is greater with turbos. Hey I heard the new turbo Neon is having issues.KABOOM!
Old 05-29-2003, 11:56 AM
ZISBAK

Originally posted by Ricky
I really doubt Nissan will have any V8's in any sedans/sports cars out. They would have to create a whole new platform for a V8. Plus, how many jap. cars (excluding pickup's and few suv's) which have V8 engines? It's seems to be more a domestic thing.

Do you have an ETA, pricing, or any websites selling the procharger? Thanks
The new Nissan Titan and Armada Pathfinder both has new V8 platforms! check them out at www.nissanusa.com
Old 05-29-2003, 12:08 PM
350Zwannabe

Default Ahcha.

Your catching on...
Old 05-29-2003, 12:20 PM
350Zwannabe

Default I forgot

I forgot, Toyota has a few Sports cars coming out within the next 3-5 years both using V8s and one using a V10! Acura as well. Toyota already has a V12 in Japan! Hell, why didn't Porsche pump out a Turbo Charged 610hp. from there new Carrera GT? That would have been easy! Instead they opted for a N/A V10. I don't know why.

Last edited by 350Zwannabe; 05-29-2003 at 12:28 PM.
Old 05-29-2003, 01:51 PM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally posted by Slareau02
Lexus GS 430, LS430, SC430, Infiniti Q45 and M45 all have V-8s I do believe. And Nissan technicaly does have a v8 platform in the M45 and Q45.
Don't forget the new Titan PU truck and the new Infinity SUV, They both have V8's too.
Old 05-29-2003, 02:04 PM
CSHFLW

You guys are getting way off topic.

Anyways, I talked to ATI today and they said it will be out before July for one....and that they are going for 75% more power...thats 500HP!!!!! That would be awsome! and they said it will come with everything you need to make it last.
Old 05-29-2003, 04:05 PM
Paul2x

JIC's Car here in So Cali already has the Pro-Charger kit on it. It also has piston's rod's you name it it has been done, The JIC rep was telling me about it, The car was currently making around 545 to the wheels but they said when finished with tunning it will be a little over 600 to the tire. Pretty cool!!

Paul
Old 05-29-2003, 04:05 PM
Apexi350z
Charter Member #50

that's nice.
Old 05-29-2003, 05:24 PM
MardiGrasMax

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

450 miles a week commuter Maxima with a stock VQ30 and Vortech boosted to 380whp

VQ is TOUGH!!!
Old 05-29-2003, 05:25 PM
CSHFLW

380 is alot different then 500hp...
Old 05-29-2003, 07:19 PM
justice

I'd do plenty of homework before buying a procharger, apparently they've got a pretty bad reputation for customer satisfaction and a unreasonable failure rate in the products they sell. Sounds like if you're one of the unlucky who get's a bad unit you might find yourself stuck with it with no chance of warranty repair.
Old 05-29-2003, 09:09 PM
D'oh

I really doubt Nissan will have any V8's in any sedans/sports cars out. They would have to create a whole new platform for a V8. Plus, how many jap. cars (excluding pickup's and few suv's) which have V8 engines? It's seems to be more a domestic thing.

Do you have an ETA, pricing, or any websites selling the procharger? Thanks
Just to stay off topic:

Nissan already has a platform for the V8, and it's the same platform on which the Z is built.

The vehicle that currently uses that combo is the FX45, which is based on the same platform that is used in the Z and G35. Therefore, it isn't a stretch to believe that the 4.5 V8 could fit in the Z. Don't know what the weight would be like, though. Since that engine already makes 340HP in the M45 (or maybe Q45) I wouldn't be surprised if they could tweak it to 375-400 for a sportscar. That would be awesome (IMO)!

Now, as far as procharger goes, hopefully they will have a good product so we have more choices.

-D'oh!
Old 05-30-2003, 05:59 AM
350Zwannabe

Default Your ight!

Originally posted by D'oh
Just to stay off topic:

Nissan already has a platform for the V8, and it's the same platform on which the Z is built.

The vehicle that currently uses that combo is the FX45, which is based on the same platform that is used in the Z and G35. Therefore, it isn't a stretch to believe that the 4.5 V8 could fit in the Z. Don't know what the weight would be like, though. Since that engine already makes 340HP in the M45 (or maybe Q45) I wouldn't be surprised if they could tweak it to 375-400 for a sportscar. That would be awesome (IMO)!

-D'oh!
You are right about that motor and the platform. I believe Nissan will use the same motor for the Z and WILL NOT make anymore horsepower out of it. The V8 DOES NOT weight much more than the old TT motor. Just like the new S4 V8 doesn't weight much more than the old TT Motor although the new car is a couple more hundred pounds heavier. Believe it or not, the Japanese LOVE N/A motors and the HIGH RPM's they put out 9000+. I'm sure most of you have seen the videos of there SIDE DRAFT fuel injected motors along with full carboration motors. Cars like Honda S2000s, Civics, Miatas, you name it they tune them to the max Naturally! Yes, Turbos are popular but the swooshing of Carbs and high RPMs is there passion. Look out for a V8 Z in the near future. I'm calling it.
Old 05-30-2003, 07:55 AM
Juztin

Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

Damnnnn!

I would just love ~600 whp ! I can't even begin to imagine how fast the Z would be with that kinda power. I wonder how much $$$ that would cost for the kit along with new rods & pistons (possibly stronger clutch as well?). Does anyone know what kinda times that (JIC?? Z) with the kit already on it is posting?

Life is good for Zer's hehehe
Old 05-30-2003, 08:06 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally posted by Juztin
Damnnnn!

I would just love ~600 whp ! I can't even begin to imagine how fast the Z would be with that kinda power. I wonder how much $$$ that would cost for the kit along with new rods & pistons (possibly stronger clutch as well?). Does anyone know what kinda times that (JIC?? Z) with the kit already on it is posting?

Life is good for Zer's hehehe
check out this website for cost of internals...

http://store.yahoo.com/sgpracing-sto...ctronics4.html

Maybe the cheaper price for the Procharger vs Greddy will allow you to put money towards internals. Just read up on ATI procharger, some people are not happy with them ie mustang forums etc. Time will tell which is the best set up...

Jeff
Old 05-30-2003, 04:57 PM
jreiter

Default Re: Your ight!

Originally posted by 350Zwannabe
The V8 DOES NOT weight much more than the old TT motor. Just like the new S4 V8 doesn't weight much more than the old TT Motor although the new car is a couple more hundred pounds heavier.

Yeah, the new S4 4.2 liter V8 engine actually weighs the same as the previous 2.7 liter V6 twin turbo, and puts out 90 more hp from the factory. Awesome. The only problem is that the V8 is a longer engine, so they had to get tricky to fit it into the engine bay.

On a related note, if you give me the option of two engines that weigh the same and put out the same power, one being NA and one being FI, I'll take the NA engine any day of the week. NA power output is just so much smoother and more predictable than turbo engine output. Heck, read the reviews of different Porsche models. Most professional drivers will tell you they like the 911 C4S better than the Turbo. The Turbo has much more power, but they say the C4S is more fun and less scary to drive because it's power output is smooth and predictable.
Old 05-30-2003, 05:06 PM
jreiter

Default Re: DON't FORGET..

Originally posted by 350Zwannabe
Do you know how many issues the old S4 had with there turbos? Of coarse most only if people chipped them and almost everyone did. Kaboom! I'm on my second set except now K04s. The manufactures are seeing that warranty work is greater with turbos. Hey I heard the new turbo Neon is having issues.KABOOM!

(since this thread is veering off-topic, I'll jump in too)

Well, I don't know if I'd use the word "KABOOM" to describe the problems. The engine is fine, it's just that Audi chose to use tiny, restricted, undersized turbos. When you chip an S4 and ruin the turbos, you're only ruining the turbos. Not really "KABOOM" as much as, "Hey, where'd my power go?" Same deal on the 1.8t engines.

The real problem is that the aftermarket chips boost the turbos *way* beyond their efficiency range. On the 1.8t engine, for example, 8-10 psi is about as high as you can go with a K03 turbo and still be relatively efficient. The aftermarket chips run them at 14-15 psi. If you look at a K03 efficiency graph and calculate where on that graph 15 psi sits on the 1.8t engine, it's so far off the graph into Inefficiency Land it's not even funny. I'm guessing it's similar for the 2.7tt engines. Those K03 turbos are just old, out-dated, old-technology restricted turbos. Not sure how the K04's are (haven't seen their efficiency graph and done the calculations), but I'm guessing they are much more capable of doing 15 psi on these engines than the K03's are.
Old 05-30-2003, 05:21 PM
Ricky
Banned

Wow, thanks for correcting me. I guess I had a brain fart, how could I forget all those cars?! **** on me.

Anyways, do you guys really think there will be some 100% sports car (Supra, 350Z, ect) with V8's under the hood? I honestly can't see it.. I mean a SUV, Luxury Sedan, Pickup's are fine, but a sports car with a V8, and from Japan? Sounds too domestic for me. I can't picture something like "V8 Supra" or "V8 350Z!"...

And to the member who said I believe Toyota has a V12 in Japan? Which car is this? Some Toyota dealer told me the new Supra is a V12, bunch of horse $hit in my mind.
Old 05-30-2003, 07:01 PM
D'oh

Wow, thanks for correcting me. I guess I had a brain fart, how could I forget all those cars?! **** on me.

Anyways, do you guys really think there will be some 100% sports car (Supra, 350Z, ect) with V8's under the hood? I honestly can't see it.. I mean a SUV, Luxury Sedan, Pickup's are fine, but a sports car with a V8, and from Japan? Sounds too domestic for me. I can't picture something like "V8 Supra" or "V8 350Z!"...

And to the member who said I believe Toyota has a V12 in Japan? Which car is this? Some Toyota dealer told me the new Supra is a V12, bunch of horse $hit in my mind.
I don't know if we will see V8 sportscars out of Japan, but I'd sure like it. Look at the HP wars coming out of Europe, especially between the Germans, and it's a good bet that we will see the increase in power trickle down to the rest of the vehicles. That would mean that the Japanese would also need to up the ante to stay competitive, and in order to maintain their cost advantage, it's usually leass expensive to put in a larger, NA engine than a smaller FI one (until the technology starts going nuts of course).

Like others have mentioned, if two engines weigh about the same and make the same HP (assuming the torque curve is relatively flat) then I'd rather have the NA engine than the FI engine.

I'll definitely be interested to see what the next few years bring.

As far as FI goes, I don't really care if something is turbo VS super, as long as the system is reliable. Hopefully the seemingly high number of procharger issues is due primarily to the lack of positive posts, and not a lack of positive experiences. Kinda like how if you look at this board, it looks like the Z is total crap, when we know that is really not the case.

-D'oh!
Old 05-30-2003, 09:37 PM
zoasis

Avalon now has it posted at 370 RWHP and an intro price of $5400 with intercooler.

With a few other mods, I can see this easily going over 400 WHP and 500 HP at the crank.

Thats great news, how much fun will that be !!!

Do you guys think 400 HP will put us in the mid 11's??

Quick Reply: Procharger 400 RWHP!!