Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Back from Forged (WOW!)

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 07:28 AM
chris'smax

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back from Forged (WOW!)

I hope this thread doesn't come off as being a Forged Performance nutt-swinging session because that is not what i intend this to be. First off i have to admit, i was kind of a doubter of all the reviews of Forged that had been posted in the past because they were always so positive. I myself had never had that positive experience when dealing w/ cars so naturally i was not a believer. Well after picking my car up yesterday i can say now that I AM A BELIEVER. This install was so clean i could not imagine it being any better. Their attention to detail far exceeds what i have seen from any other shop i have ever dealt with. Sharif went way above the call of duty on this install. There were task that had to be performed to install this kit that nearly doubled the amount of hours estimated to install the kit, but he still held to his initiall quote. I guarantee one thing, based on past dealing w/ other vendors and shops i now know where i will go for parts and installs. In this case BELIEVE THE HYPE

Now a little about the car. The install was a PITA . They had to cutt and box in my frame rail in order fit the driver side turbo. Also alot of the piping had to be modified and there was very little clearance to fit everything. Due to there being very little clearance, we decided to install solid motor mounts to prevent the engine from torquing and causing unwanted vibrations. As far as drivability goes i thnk it drives and starts up like a stock car. I was also impressed because the transition between cruise and boost seems very smooth. The power band is WAY different than on a greddy tt car. The turbo's fully spool around 4k rpm and feels very smooth. It is almost deceptive how smoothly it pulls because the pull is more linear and you don't realize how fast you are actually going. My favorite part is that the car sounds FAWKING SWEET before the dumps open. Sharif even stated that car sounded like a V8 and after driving home i have to agree

Although there were some issues w/ installing it due to fittment issues, it appears Tim did a great job creating this kit (material wise). Everything in the kit loks to be of great quality. Hopefully the turbos don't start smoking (that would suck!)

The new setup includes the following:
SFR TT kit w/ non ball bearing t3/t4 60-1 hifi's
Tial 38mm wastegates w/ dump tubes
2.5 inch down pipes
HKS knock off exhaust
AAM plenum spacer
Utec w/ map selector switch and map sensor
RC 440 cc injectors
HKS EVC 6 boost controller
Innovative wideband 02 guage
HKS SSQV BOV
CJM fuel return kit
Walboro pump
Pathfinder cooling mod
Forged performance solid motor mounts
Forged performance stainless steel clutch line
Clutchmaster 6 puck ceramic clutch
Tein monoflex coilovers

* My least favorite mod so far are the solid motor mounts(not a fan!)*
* Also the Tein monoflex coilovers are freaking AMAZING!(i will save that for another thread *

Power results were : 365 whp @ 5.5psi (i think)
405 whp @ 7.5psi

I'll have Sharif post the dyno graphs if he gets a chance. I will also post pics in a little bit. Didn't get home till 4:30 am so i am a little tired

I am just glad to know that there are still honest shops in this industry with whom you can do buisness w/. Forged has won me over!!!!!

Thanks again to the whole Forged Performance Crew!!!!!!

Last edited by chris'smax; 10-27-2007 at 11:19 AM.
Old 10-27-2007, 07:37 AM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

congrats Chris
Old 10-27-2007, 07:37 AM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Congrats on the new found power. I know it is beyond exciting when you get to experience near double the whp you previously had.

Couple things about your experience. how can you talk about all the things that needed to be modified with the kit to make it fit and then talk about how well created the and how high quality it is? cut and box frame and modify a lot of the piping equates to well created and high quality? Then to top it off, basically being forced to run a solid mounts on the motor? I am sorry, I would be pissed if I bought a kit like that. I am not trying to ruin your moment, but it just has me scratching my head why you went with this kit vs an APS, Greddy, or JWT?

edit: How do you like your clutch?

Last edited by Zivman; 10-27-2007 at 07:42 AM.
Old 10-27-2007, 07:38 AM
Zridder19

Congrats on the new power. You've got a nice kit there. Pics??
Old 10-27-2007, 07:53 AM
chris'smax

Originally Posted by Zivman
Congrats on the new found power. I know it is beyond exciting when you get to experience near double the whp you previously had.

Couple things about your experience. how can you talk about all the things that needed to be modified with the kit to make it fit and then talk about how well created the and how high quality it is? cut and box frame and modify a lot of the piping equates to well created and high quality? Then to top it off, basically being forced to run a solid mounts on the motor? I am sorry, I would be pissed if I bought a kit like that. I am not trying to ruin your moment, but it just has me scratching my head why you went with this kit vs an APS, Greddy, or JWT?

edit: How do you like your clutch?

Quality materials and construtction and fittment are 2 seperate things in my opinon (at least in this case). Tim says the fittment was altered due to the fact that i have a Rev-up. His kit was based of of the 03-05. You can't just blatantly call the kit a POS. You can tell that it takes talent to fab some of the peices that are in this kit. I'm not going to throw tim under the bus because his kit did not 100 % fit a platform which it wasn't based off of. THis is just my opinion so take it for what it is worth.

BTW love the clutch. It's very easy to drive

Last edited by chris'smax; 10-27-2007 at 07:55 AM.
Old 10-27-2007, 07:59 AM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by chris'smax
I hope this thread doesn't come off as being a Forged Performance nutt-swinging session because that is not what i intend this to be. First off i have to admit, i was kind of a doubter of all the reviews of Forged that had been posted in the past becausethey were always so positive. I myself had never had that positive experience when dealing w/ cars so naturally i was not a believer. Well after picking my car up yesterday i can say now that I AM A BELIEVER. This install was so clean i could not imagine it being any better. Their attention to detail far exceeds what i have seen from any other shop i have ever dealt with. Sharif went way above the call of duty on this install. There we task that had to be performed to install this kit that nearly doubled the amount of hours estimated to install the kit, but he still held to his initiall quote. I guarantee one thing, based on past dealing w/ other vendors and shops i now know where i will go for parts and installs. In this case BELIEVE THE HYPE

Now a little about the car. The install was a PITA . They had to cutt and box in my frame rail in order fit the driver side turbo. Also alot of the piping had to be modified and there was very little clearance to fit everything. Due to there being very little clearance, we decided to install solid motor mounts to prevent the engine from torquing and causing unwanted vibrations. As far as drivability goes i thnk it drives and starts up like a stock car. I was also impressed because the transition between cruise and boost seems very smooth. The power band is WAY different than on a greddy tt car. The turbo's fully spool around 4k rpm and feels very smooth. It is almost deceptive how smoothly it pulls because the pull is more linear and you don't realize how fast you are actually going. My favorite part is that the car sounds FAWKING SWEET before the dumps open. Sharif even stated that car sounded like a V8 and after driving home i have to agree

Although there were some issues w/ installing it due to fittment issues, it appears Tim did a great job creating this kit (material wise). Everything in the kit loks to be of great quality. Hopefully the turbos don't start smoking (that would suck!)

The new setup includes the following:
SFR TT kit w/ non ball bearing t3/t4 60-1 hifi's
Tial 38mm wastegates w/ dump tubes
2.5 inch down pipes
HKS knock off exhaust
AAM plenum spacer
Utec w/ map selector switch and map sensor
RC 440 cc injectors
HKS EVC 6 boost controller
Innovative wideband 02 guage
HKS SSQV BOV
CJM fuel return kit
Walboro pump
Pathfinder cooling mod
Forged performance solid motor mounts
Forged performance stainless steel clutch line
Clutchmaster 6 puck ceramic clutch
Tein monoflex coilovers

* My least favorite mod so far are the solid motor mounts(not a fan!)*
* Also the Tein monoflex coilovers are freaking AMAZING!(i will save that for another thread *

Power results were : 365 whp @ 5.5psi (i think)
405 whp @ 7.5psi

I'll have Sharif post the dyno graphs if he gets a chance. I will also post pics in a little bit. Didn't get home till 4:30 am so i am a little tired

I am just glad to know that there are still honest shops in this industry in with whom you can do buisness w/. Forged has won me over!!!!!

Thanks again to the whole Forged Performance Crew!!!!!!
lol at your first sentence....
nice but

of your car and dyno sheets

congrats!
Old 10-27-2007, 07:59 AM
tkrienke

Congrats man. You need to fix your sig!!

Old 10-27-2007, 08:03 AM
Zivman

Originally Posted by chris'smax
Quality materials and construtction and fittment are 2 seperate things in my opinon (at least in this case). Tim says the fittment was altered due to the fact that i have a Rev-up. His kit was based of of the 03-05. You can't just blatantly call the kit a POS. You can tell that it takes talent to fab some of the peices that are in this kit. I'm not going to throw tim under the bus because his kit did not 100 % fit a platform which it wasn't based off of. THis is just my opinion so take it for what it is worth.

BTW love the clutch. It's very easy to drive
I think your opening post would have been much more informative to state that the fitment issues were related to the revup vs standard DE motor. That said, I thought in terms of fitment, the steering rack was basically the only notable change? good pricing?

What was your reasoning behind getting this kit vs one of the standards? just to be different?
Old 10-27-2007, 08:04 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you got home safely Chris.

Although we had to modify the kit extensively to fit Chris's 06, the power curve on these larger turbocharger speaks for itself. To my knowledge, this is the highest number we have achieved on our dyno with just 7.5psi boost pressure. Chris is going to swing it by his local dynojet, but I would expect at least 440whp, and probably more. And the curve looks terrific....finally making power ALL the way through the end of the run.

As Chris mentioned, the turbos spool much more slowly, which is to be expected. But from 4500rpm to redline, the thing just screams and races to the end. I honestly prefer this power curve, over the manic low end trq/power you see from the smaller turbocharger kits. It feels a lot like the JWT850bb kit.

Old 10-27-2007, 08:10 AM
Zivman

Sharif, you have pics of this setup on his car?
Old 10-27-2007, 08:14 AM
dutchboy

Congrats, sounds like a really nice setup. You might appreciate the slower spooling turbos, I know I do.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:22 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Nice work Sharif.
Some pics would be nice..
Old 10-27-2007, 08:40 AM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Sharif, you have pics of this setup on his car?
We'll have to wait until Chris posts them, since I didnt take any of the finished project. I was too busy trying to get them on the road.
Old 10-27-2007, 08:54 AM
ColecatZ

Congrats Chris, I've been waiting to see your results and get Sharif's feelings on the kit, fitment, spool time and all. Finally a reason to be glad I have an 03. That and it's just about paid off.

Congrats again. I'm jealous.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:23 AM
saberphx

Where The Hell Are The Pics?!?!!?!?
Old 10-27-2007, 09:31 AM
Zilvia

wow thats nice power band............

congrats..........

now pics? vids?.......come on your slacking...
Old 10-27-2007, 09:40 AM
chris'smax

I think your opening post would have been much more informative to state that the fitment issues were related to the revup vs standard DE motor. That said, I thought in terms of fitment, the steering rack was basically the only notable change? good pricing?

What was your reasoning behind getting this kit vs one of the standards? just to be different?

Well we don't know if the fittment issues are due to it being a revup. Tim has never personally put on or sold the kit to anyone w/ a 06 revup. I think the fittment issues have to do with poor fittment and it being a 2006.

My reasoning for getting the kit was i got it for a great price and it was a "tuner version" which allowed me to piece together the kit as i wanted. I am not trying to sell anything here so i have no interest in persuading anyone. Yes i was NOT happy the kit didn't fitt well, but i feel the potential of this kit makes up for it. Now if i could do it over again i would maybe go with a greddy kit, but whats done is done and after Sharif & his guys hard work i came away a happy customer and got a good deal on a kit i can make BIG power on. Can't ask for much more than that.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:41 AM
booger

Glad you're happy with the car Chris . Im sure there is huge power in your future !!!!!

Get some pics posted !!!!
Old 10-27-2007, 09:42 AM
chris'smax

Pics will be up this afternoon. I need to wash the car first. It got owned by bugs after 8 hrs of driving
Old 10-27-2007, 09:43 AM
flynbrin

thats awesome

Quick Reply: Back from Forged (WOW!)