Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

APS or TN?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2007, 04:32 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Ive owned a TN kit and loved it over 1 year ago. 3000 miles later that chapter in my cars life was over. Since then (summer 06') Ive seen some "negative" things with TN kits-things Im not gonna go into detail and start a flame war/kit bashing, etc, but I'll say this--->I wouldnt recommend the kit to anybody anymore. Fawk OUT OF THE BOX ST kits. You'll eventually want more, and for the minor price difference between TT kits, pony up now and do a TT of your choice. Then when you blow your motor, you wont have to upgrade. Trust me, myself and many others have been down this road, take it for what its worth.
Old 11-02-2007, 06:50 AM
hr2burn

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DanielW
you're gonna run more than 10 psi on a stock block? good luck
I've been running 9 for about 10,000 mile so far with even some 1/4 mile racing in there. My gauge reads 11lbs, but the absolute is 9...I have about 17K mile on this (and a hard 17k at that) She is faultless out of the box, the UTEC is the only issue I have!!!!
Old 11-02-2007, 11:11 AM
350Z400rwhp

Ok I really don't plan on going with a built motor anytime soon but I think that there is something to be said about looking long term at this stuff. I have looked at the Greddy Twin Turbo kit since a lot of you have recommended it. The best price I have found from the vendors on here is $5600 that does include an intercooler. I would rather buy the turbo kit (Weather it be APS, TN or HKS) from a vendor on here. I keep seeing this deal on ebau from a "Power Seller" with 100% Feedback on this HKS Twin Turbo kit http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Gredd...QQcmdZViewItem
I would still need to buy an intercooler but the price seems too good to be true and it looks like it includes the HKS computer. What is this kit missing that I'm not thinking of? Could I do a twin turbo setup and just run like 7 or 8 lbs of boost on my stock block?
Old 11-02-2007, 11:27 AM
JoeDirtPharmD

Originally Posted by taurran
I thought maybe you were talking about JoeDirtPharmD. I think he was spraying too, though?

No spray, though my best output was in my sig.

GTM will be finished with the car by the end of this month; a consistent 500rwhp DD will be nice... even better if I can touch 550rwhp in 'racing' circumstances... Guess I'll know in a couple weeks...

I was unaware that anyone had breached the 500+ mark on an ST setup (referring to the post of the non-member with 532 DJ)?

Last edited by JoeDirtPharmD; 11-02-2007 at 11:30 AM.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:36 AM
rlwjr1

Trying to get back on track here. I get the feeling most here don't do their own work, those who do, which kit is easier to install?? It seems like the APS is a little easier.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:03 AM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by rlwjr1
Trying to get back on track here. I get the feeling most here don't do their own work, those who do, which kit is easier to install?? It seems like the APS is a little easier.
I have not personally installed a TN kit, but have installed an APS single. The APS kit is the more difficult to install from my experience and reading through the install instructions on the TN and seeing both kits in person. Also keep in mind, you have more components to install with the APS kit. You have a fuel system, ems and boost control solenoid that you don't have on the TN
Old 11-13-2007, 10:37 AM
srt4-no more

Jus giving another option... If your really set on a ST... then you should check out the Powerlab stage 1 gt35R kit that Intense will be offering! There are a few threads on here regarding the kit including new dynos sheets!
Old 11-13-2007, 10:40 AM
Ruthless18x

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

+1 ^ I have heard good things about that kit.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:06 AM
SpoilsofWar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ Yes, but when will it actually be available? I would love to have that kit but I didnt want to hold my breath waiting for it and miss having this winter to do the build.

I bit the bullet and went with a TN kit; will be installing it on a built block running a utec and looking for ~450rwhp.
Old 11-13-2007, 11:21 AM
srt4-no more

^ should be ready by first of year!
Old 11-13-2007, 12:06 PM
Blu_Blur

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SpoilsofWar
^ Yes, but when will it actually be available? I would love to have that kit but I didnt want to hold my breath waiting for it and miss having this winter to do the build.

I bit the bullet and went with a TN kit; will be installing it on a built block running a utec and looking for ~450rwhp.

I don't thihnk you're going to get 450 rwhp but you will enjoy the car / system none-the-less.
Old 11-13-2007, 01:14 PM
hr2burn

I installed my TN It's got to be easier just by the fact of using the stock exhaust mainifold. Also I hit 420 rwhp on stock internals. Had to stop there only because injectors were 95% duty cycle at that hp....
Old 11-13-2007, 01:29 PM
SpoilsofWar

Originally Posted by Blu_Blur
I don't thihnk you're going to get 450 rwhp but you will enjoy the car / system none-the-less.
Explain this reply - You dont think I can get 450rwhp out of my TN tuner kit on a fully built shortblock, with upgraded fuel system and a utec? I have a hard time believing that.

Last edited by SpoilsofWar; 11-13-2007 at 01:32 PM.
Old 11-13-2007, 02:05 PM
JoeDirtPharmD

Explain this reply - You dont think I can get 450rwhp out of my TN tuner kit on a fully built shortblock, with upgraded fuel system and a utec? I have a hard time believing that.
I believe there's a community concern/observation about the ability of the TN kit and bottlenecking and intake temps when you increase the boost for higher gains >/= 450rwhp
Old 11-13-2007, 02:41 PM
SpoilsofWar

^ Got it, but that problem should be somewhat aleviated by water/meth injection, as far as intake temps anyway, which is something I plan on doing.

I'm not sure why, but for some reason I thought there were several people on here north of 450whp with TN kits. Not so much?
Old 11-13-2007, 10:04 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have a hard time believing that? I had the same setup your talking about. I had 459 whp and it sucked! Peak power was at 5200 RPM. I had almost 500 ft. lbs of torque due to the high backpressure caused by the small compressor housing and the 2.5" downpipe. I have since moved onto a Greddy TT. Sharif and I went down this path and it led us nowhere. Keep the power down to 10psi. If you want more then go with a Greddy TT.

I had the highest output stock turbo kit @ 459whp.

JET
Old 11-14-2007, 04:08 AM
taurran

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
You have a hard time believing that? I had the same setup your talking about. I had 459 whp and it sucked! Peak power was at 5200 RPM. I had almost 500 ft. lbs of torque due to the high backpressure caused by the small compressor housing and the 2.5" downpipe. I have since moved onto a Greddy TT. Sharif and I went down this path and it led us nowhere. Keep the power down to 10psi. If you want more then go with a Greddy TT.

I had the highest output stock turbo kit @ 459whp.

JET
I don't believe your assumption that the 2.5" downpipe was the issue is necessarily correct. The kit will make 450whp, but I don't think the downpipe is the only cause of that.

But, I would agree that if you're going with a built block then it's better to pick a kit that's designed to make more power.
Old 11-14-2007, 04:47 AM
tig488

oh no, not again! these topics need to be sticky'd.

first off, i thought the APS single kits were discontinued.

heres my opinion, all of you guys know it, but apparently somebody doesnt. the aps kit is nice, built with quality parts, and can get pretty good results, but needs a lot of tender loving care. it has its share of issues, smoking, leaking turbo seals, (id be willing to bet that 75% of owners have oil in their intercoolers), boost stability! add ~$500 to your price because youre gonna have to get a nice boost controller to stabilize boost, but still expect boost to drop in the upper rpms. get it installed by a dealer and tuned by one.

oh yeah, the compressor housing is not custom. its an off the shelf tiny T04E housing with an angle welded to the end, nothing more. they did that because the larger, better T04S housing wont fit. all the big number cars running gt35Rs run the T04S housing. prime example, im running the aps gt35r on my built KA, at 20psi, its not making near the power it should be making.

just google to4s housing and youll see what it looks like.

i say go greddy tt.
Old 11-14-2007, 05:58 AM
hr2burn

Yes if you have built internals, the last system I would go with is the TN. But his question of ease of installation and to return to stock hands down is TN and he could run 450rwhp in the mean time.
Old 11-14-2007, 06:40 AM
TENGAI

F'k it. Too much debate and bickering... Just go with the PowerLab kit in Jan/Feb and call it a day... 650+ on a true GT35R FTMFW

I know... shameless plug and completely off topic... BUT if you really want to build the block and get solid ST power, then I'd wait a few months and go this route. SEVERAL guys who are in line to get the PL kit installed have already been down the boosted road in one form or another (including myself).

Quick Reply: APS or TN?