Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

APS TT replacement and upgrade info....

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 08:56 PM
Weqster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tig488
oh snap, so i can try and market a CUSTOM turbo since i painted the housing!!! you know, since garrett doesnt list that in their catalog. theres also a little scratch where my socket hit it, i can add that to the spec list.

no, i dont think super special, but when they market it as custom, and APS acts all "hush-hush" about turbo specs, and makes it out to be more than it is, and wont answer questions about it, and you find out that the only thing custom is that they have put a 90 degree elbow on it, thats total BS. i wouldnt expect anything else from APS.
Exactly man, its all in the marketing. Just cause u got tricked into the turbos were mad NASA secret weapons, dont mean its APS's fault. They didnt lie. They didnt steal. They didnt cheat. The fact is, these specific turbos produce more power then a GT28 without being any bigger. Thats more research then turbonetics, jwt or GReddy did. You have to give them credit. Small, low heat, responsive and powerful enough to cator for a built block. Its the package.
Old 12-04-2007, 04:15 AM
gecof1

Originally Posted by Weqster
Exactly man, its all in the marketing. Just cause u got tricked into the turbos were mad NASA secret weapons, dont mean its APS's fault. They didnt lie. They didnt steal. They didnt cheat. The fact is, these specific turbos produce more power then a GT28 without being any bigger. Thats more research then turbonetics, jwt or GReddy did. You have to give them credit. Small, low heat, responsive and powerful enough to cator for a built block. Its the package.
APS does produce a kit that is matched to serve the unbuilt block, with 8PSI. The question is if the kit is delivering what promises. I believe that it does.
Now if someone wants to alter their specs then you should make the research yourself, or go with their extreme kit. Ofcourse as far as serviceability is concerned you face big problems. You simply can not find the exact match to what you have installed.
TURBOS are consumables and they should always concidered as such.
Easy replacement is an issue especially if we are talking about a daily driven car.
Old 12-04-2007, 06:19 AM
tig488

Originally Posted by Weqster
i dont have an aps kit, anymore, i had the single turbo kit, so i dont really care about the TT turbos. i just posted info about what size turbos they. youre right about their GT28s making more power w/o being bigger, the total opposite holds true for the single kit, it makes less power than a standard 35r.

they do make a nice kit tho.

funny how the corvette people are starting to realize how APS works too .
Old 07-17-2008, 01:20 PM
Crom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just ran across this link to Z1'a site now offering replacement CHRA's for APS singles, twin, and extreme flavors.....good news.

http://www.z1motorsports.com/350_g35...oducts_id=2501
Old 10-15-2009, 01:56 PM
Glex25

Bumping this thread from the dead since I also spoke with ATP today and they told me that their GT3071R-WG Dual BB, 86AR, 90 Trim Turbine would also be a drop in and will take the same amount of space as the original APS TT GT28's.

http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant...egory_Code=GRT
Old 10-15-2009, 02:57 PM
Crom

Edit....

Last edited by Crom; 10-15-2009 at 02:59 PM.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:30 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Glex25
Bumping this thread from the dead since I also spoke with ATP today and they told me that their GT3071R-WG Dual BB, 86AR, 90 Trim Turbine would also be a drop in and will take the same amount of space as the original APS TT GT28's.

I would also really like to know if this is true. If it is....I will be upgrading to these....A LOT more turbo in nearly the same package.
Old 11-04-2009, 07:42 PM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Based on this pic (APS extreme kit BTW) I don't think a bigger compressor housing will physically fit with the turbo manifold. I'm pretty sure the APS extreme uses a larger wheel in the same housing as the standard kit, because my standard setup looks a lot like that.

Old 11-05-2009, 12:08 AM
gecof1

Originally Posted by BriGuyMax
Based on this pic (APS extreme kit BTW) I don't think a bigger compressor housing will physically fit with the turbo manifold. I'm pretty sure the APS extreme uses a larger wheel in the same housing as the standard kit, because my standard setup looks a lot like that.

You are exactly right. I have purchased the turbos from ATP my self. Housing is exactly the same. The cartridge is changing, thus you have nearly the same responce with larger turbos. They do drop in, though you have to dismantle the air side of the turbos in order to match with the intake/outake of the installed duct piping. Really nice work from ATP.
Old 11-05-2009, 07:27 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Originally Posted by gecof1
You are exactly right. I have purchased the turbos from ATP my self. Housing is exactly the same. The cartridge is changing, thus you have nearly the same responce with larger turbos. They do drop in, though you have to dismantle the air side of the turbos in order to match with the intake/outake of the installed duct piping. Really nice work from ATP.
I understand that they offer a replacement for a standard APS spec turbo, but if I want more flow will this work like ATP says it will.

Seems to me the larger compressor housing won't fit, but I could be wrong.
Old 07-04-2010, 03:19 PM
Smasher

Originally Posted by Crom
Most of you know I went through a recent rebuild of the APS turbos w/ success due to smoking issues I was having...and I recently came across this info at atp turbo as to options for replacements...I've been searching the forums for some time as too the exact nomenclature for the these and other members are correct when they said that they are 2535R's but later renamed to 2871R. In response to a number of PM's I've recieved about whats involved because of similar issues they're having...I did some more digging and ATP came back w/ this....

" HKS called them GT2535's but they are GT2871R units with a small trim.

We have the original CHRA's available a direct replacements.

We also have a larger trim GT2871R that will flow a lot more on the
compressor side and theat is the stageI upgrade.

We also have a larger overall GT3071R unit that can be the stage II level
upgrade that will increase flow on the turbine (hot) side as well.

All 3 options we quoted are for 100% drop-in fitment. "

...I hope this information is helpfull down the road for some people.
Bumping an old thread for more info.

Has anyone upgraded to the GT3071R's and if so could you share some feedback on performance, any reliability issues, extra heat issues, and what actuator springs are you using to reach your desired WHP level if still using internal wastegates?

thanks
Old 07-05-2010, 08:35 AM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by Smasher
Bumping an old thread for more info.

Has anyone upgraded to the GT3071R's and if so could you share some feedback on performance, any reliability issues, extra heat issues, and what actuator springs are you using to reach your desired WHP level if still using internal wastegates?

thanks
I'm your huckleberry...

Specs:
GT3071R with Garrett BB center cartridges installed
Turbine = 84 Trim - 56mm Diameter
Compressor = 56 Trim - 71mm Diameter
.86 AR
Internal WGs welded shut and using the upgraded Extreme Kit DPs and log manifolds.

543whp on a DD Dyno @ 25lbs with 50/50 water meth mix used for cooling only. Cost was roughly $2200 for the pair. No EGT gauge, but I have blown 4 motors... not sure on the cause or if it related to the turbos in any way.

My tuner suspected a possible bottleneck related to the accordian intake pipes. Oh, and he states that we left appx 100whp on the dyno because he couldn't get the car to hold traction and he was eating my brand new set of Yoko Advans FWIW.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

APS TT replacement and upgrade info....-10.jpg
Old 07-05-2010, 02:31 PM
Smasher

Hi Cass,

Thanks for the feedback and I'm really sorry for all your heartache with the Engines.

I thought you may have had theses but your threads are so long its hard to find.

25lbs for 543whp seams high. I know you posted the graph but was that really at 25lbs? I would have thought it's more like 643whp at 25lbs with meth? In the top 25 list they have you with 643whp at 18lbs so im not sure on the right number are if you could help clarify.

Can you use these with the Std APS (non extream) manifold? I would probably want to stay with the internal WG and actuators just because I'm paronoid with our MTO (Miniistry of transportation office ) spot checks.

Do you know if these would run any hotter than the std or should it be about the same? I already have enough heat to deal with and was kinda hoping to get more whp with less boost and then less heat if that makes any sence but not sure where the efficiency is with the GT3071's.
Old 07-05-2010, 05:35 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic

It depends when you bought the kit as to which style of manifolds you got. All my housings are the same as stock, so I don;t see why they wouldn't just bolt right up.

The dyno numbers are correct, both of them. The car made the 643whp @ 18lbs when it had a massive boost/vacuum leak in the plenum. I had 4 bolt holes left unplugged from swapping to the APS Plenum.

I can't say on the temps. Maybe Glex will post his results soon. He is doing this same swap I think, so maybe he can give another set of numbers for comparison.
Old 07-05-2010, 05:54 PM
Glex25

^ I'm sticking with Stock APS Turbos funds are low =0((

Just putting in Forge Actuators for the internal wastegates

Last edited by Glex25; 07-05-2010 at 05:58 PM.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:09 PM
nathanwl2004

Originally Posted by Crom
Just ran across this link to Z1'a site now offering replacement CHRA's for APS singles, twin, and extreme flavors.....good news.

http://www.z1motorsports.com/350_g35...oducts_id=2501
that would be good news if they weren't liars
Old 07-06-2010, 06:40 AM
thom000001

Agreed.....Buddy has this turbo kit on his Z32 TT:
http://www.z1motorsports.com/product...oducts_id=1860

Turbos maxed at 683rwhp and his car is built probably further than the one they used (crazy ported heads/cams etc, fully built motor, HUGE FMIC, Crazy fuel system).....When he called they said....oh yea, you may have to modify turbos to get a couple more pounds out of em, but thats where they are done.....so how exactly did you get a 800+rwhp graph with them (granted it has the most "ominous" peak I have ever seen)?

Tom

Originally Posted by nathanwl2004
that would be good news if they weren't liars
Old 08-20-2010, 01:23 PM
John@z1
Sponsor
Z1 Motorsports

Originally Posted by thom000001
Agreed.....Buddy has this turbo kit on his Z32 TT:
http://www.z1motorsports.com/product...oducts_id=1860

Turbos maxed at 683rwhp and his car is built probably further than the one they used (crazy ported heads/cams etc, fully built motor, HUGE FMIC, Crazy fuel system).....When he called they said....oh yea, you may have to modify turbos to get a couple more pounds out of em, but thats where they are done.....so how exactly did you get a 800+rwhp graph with them (granted it has the most "ominous" peak I have ever seen)?

Tom
We've dynoed those at 703rwhp on race fuel at 28psi. 800R is flywheel rating. So it looks like your guy made about 805 crank hp.
Old 08-20-2010, 02:48 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by John@z1
We've dynoed those at 703rwhp on race fuel at 28psi. 800R is flywheel rating. So it looks like your guy made about 805 crank hp.
^ u may want to correct the website since it states whp and the dynograph shows a peak in excess of 800 whp.

Our GT800R turbo kits feature the largest trim compressor wheel available on the GT2871R and our choice of a .64 A/R turbine housing. .86 Turbine housing options are available by special request.

Will flow 36psi and can produce 800+RWHP on race fuel with proper tuning and moderate modifications...

Last edited by rcdash; 08-20-2010 at 02:50 PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:36 PM
rh_334

Originally Posted by rcdash
^ u may want to correct the website since it states whp and the dynograph shows a peak in excess of 800 whp.
or they could just adjust their dyno like another shop in the area

Quick Reply: APS TT replacement and upgrade info....