Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Vortech Custom CAI

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008, 05:15 PM
MrJax
Fights On!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MOTOWIPEOUT Z
Looks pretty good IMO. I like what your did with the intercooler, is that just painted black or did you use a thermal dispersant coating? Don't give anyone a heartattack with those horns. LOL.
We used a 'plasticized heat dispersant with maximum thermal efficiency in the 75-150 C range'. It looks and acts just like rubberized undercoating as far as I am concerned. My brother is an FAA A&P mech. and he recommended it. We shall see.

Causing heart attacks is exactly what those horns are there for!
Old 01-07-2008, 06:19 PM
MOTOWIPEOUT Z

I like the way you guys think.
Old 01-07-2008, 06:21 PM
iStan
ZR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MrJax
We used a 'plasticized heat dispersant with maximum thermal efficiency in the 75-150 C range'. It looks and acts just like rubberized undercoating as far as I am concerned.
Where do you get the stuff? Do I have to sneak on base and steal it?
Old 01-07-2008, 07:57 PM
MrJax
Fights On!

Originally Posted by istan
Where do you get the stuff? Do I have to sneak on base and steal it?
The only place I have ever seen this stuff before is in the Engine Shop when I was active duty. Our little can from my brother just has the Mil. # and specifications with no manufactuer listed. There should be a civilian/hobbyist equivalent but, frankly, I have never looked since our 'supplier' always has plenty. I do know the high-heat stuff has to be applied with a special process and baked on. Again, this looks/acts/shoots/dries/smells just like rubberized undercoating from the spray can and maybe it is relying on the thermal properties of black rubber to radiate heat from the surface

It's probably only store bought undercoating just rebottled and certified so they can sell it at 10x the Wal-Mart price.

Last edited by MrJax; 01-08-2008 at 02:05 AM.
Old 01-07-2008, 11:55 PM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yes sir, i saw the sig, very cool!! let me know if i can help you out with anything in 08 !!

thanks
Old 01-08-2008, 02:00 AM
MrJax
Fights On!

Originally Posted by Audible Mayhem
yes sir, i saw the sig, very cool!! let me know if i can help you out with anything in 08 !!

thanks
You bet, Jeremy. Boost has now become an addiction!

I just saw the time you posted......I'm working, man, but what's your excuse? Don't you ever sleep?
Old 01-08-2008, 04:19 AM
jpc350z

Originally Posted by Vash350Z
Looks good, here mine:

That cut out in the bumper looks like an ideal location for locating the air intake into the filter...Is there not enough space or access to fit the filter at this location...Eleminates any engine heat and gets the filter out from in front of the I/C and behind the bumper..
Old 01-08-2008, 05:22 AM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MrJax
You bet, Jeremy. Boost has now become an addiction!

I just saw the time you posted......I'm working, man, but what's your excuse? Don't you ever sleep?

Honestly, my excuse is that i dream, eat, sleep, and live cars every day. This is and will be my passion for years. i bought my first car to mod the second i was out of high school in 94. tore the motor out, milled the head, changed the valves, ported everything possible and realized that this stuff really works. i have been addicted ever since. i cant get away from these things no matter what i try....

I dont think there is anyone on here that puts in more hours or works harder, no one has ever handed me anything. im just happy to be surrounded by great people at the shop to help me out now...
Old 01-08-2008, 06:00 AM
Biochem7
Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jpc350z
That cut out in the bumper looks like an ideal location for locating the air intake into the filter...Is there not enough space or access to fit the filter at this location...Eleminates any engine heat and gets the filter out from in front of the I/C and behind the bumper..
no space unless you put a tiny filter there. The filters are not in front of the intercooler but sit on top.
Old 01-08-2008, 12:01 PM
Vash350Z

Originally Posted by Biochem7
no space unless you put a tiny filter there. The filters are not in front of the intercooler but sit on top.
+1, you could put one there, but you would have to totally butcher the radiator support and I dont think there would be anyway to make it not look ghetto rigged.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:28 PM
JET MECH

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

not a good idea for most people but i cut out the whole center section of the aluminum bumper structure . my air cleaner sits on top of the fmic and it gets all of the cool air it needs from the high pressure area in front of the vehicle.
Old 01-08-2008, 05:05 PM
MrJax
Fights On!

Originally Posted by Audible Mayhem
Honestly, my excuse is that i dream, eat, sleep, and live cars every day. This is and will be my passion for years. i bought my first car to mod the second i was out of high school in 94. tore the motor out, milled the head, changed the valves, ported everything possible and realized that this stuff really works. i have been addicted ever since. i cant get away from these things no matter what i try....

I dont think there is anyone on here that puts in more hours or works harder, no one has ever handed me anything. im just happy to be surrounded by great people at the shop to help me out now...
Going to work with a smile on your face......THAT'S the Amercian Dream
Old 01-15-2008, 02:10 AM
MrJax
Fights On!

Well, we got the car back from the body shop and have now finished the CAI installation. We decided to cut out the foam and to use the larger air filter. The filter barely fits and required and a bit of force to get it in place. It should still be easier to replace than the Vortech solution of removing the supercharger. Everything is close fitting but does go into place and doesn't 'give it away' that something special is under the hood.