Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

usable street horsepower

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 12:14 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by jumpin800agl
I amstill trying to get the hang of my high boost map. I agree with Alberto, I have noticed that part throttle through 1-2 makes things alot quicker. I am going to the strip tomorrow, hoping to get some good practice and decent times.
Good luck-post results...
Old 02-15-2008, 01:30 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by JAMEZ
Isn't the speed/boost adjustment function something the FCON can do?
FCON does not control boost at all. You need a boost controller and most (including the HKS version) do provide speed dependent boost control. The difference is that the Haltech can actually regulate boost based on wheelspin by reading wheel sensor data over the CAN bus! Very cool. No boost controller is going to give you that. You can get dedicated traction control computers that do provide that level of sophistication, but they cost hundreds to thousands of dollars by themselves.
Old 02-15-2008, 01:56 PM
sentry65
the burninator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

can the Fcon control throttle %?
Old 02-15-2008, 02:01 PM
rcdash

Originally Posted by sentry65
can the Fcon control throttle %?
It doesn't. (Maybe it could, like I've been told the Haltech could, but chooses not to for various reasons).
Old 02-15-2008, 03:22 PM
XKR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rcdash
You can get dedicated traction control computers that do provide that level of sophistication, but they cost hundreds to thousands of dollars by themselves.
Raj......were can I get info on this?
Old 02-15-2008, 07:45 PM
JETPILOT

Traction problem = SOLVED!

Wow! These R888 tires are AMAZING. It's a night and day difference between these tires and the ADVAN Sport summer tires I was running beofre. Both are 295/30/19. These tires rock!

I had traction in most of second and 3rd gear was totally hooked up. 565 works on the street!

JET
Old 02-15-2008, 07:57 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Good news...do they make a 295/35?
Old 02-15-2008, 08:05 PM
rcdash

Originally Posted by XKR
Raj......were can I get info on this?
Well, if you don't want to wait for the Haltech or ProEFI solutions, you could go straight to the full Motec set up (and Sharif is certified to install and tune it). You can also get a dedicated system - I found a few links on the web when I was researching this:

http://www.moretraction.com/

http://www.racelogic.co.uk/

But you're looking at anywhere from a few thousand to many multiples of that (for example to switch to the Motec). The initial traction control offering for the Haltech I'm sure will be on full display at ZdayZ - you may want to try it out for yourself before committing to something else as they have lots of good stuff planned - PM Hal@IP for details.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:23 PM
Xx SiFaKa

Originally Posted by Hal@IP
Why not have the best of both worlds - 450hp at lower speeds, 550 midrange, and 650 interstate?

I just finished testing wheel-speed based boost control in Haltech and it works quite well. You can run as low as wastegate for lower speeds/gears, and then ramp in as much boost as you want for higher speeds. This will be another free update, slated for next week.
Could you explain this a little further? I was thinking about a set-up like that. I just wasn't sure people could do that with the different boost levels through out the gears.

So for example could you just get each gear to just the highest amount of boost possible without it losing traction? So that way each gear would feel as fast as the gear before it? You would be like a rocket, crazy.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:23 PM
JETPILOT

See link in below post.

I bought them from Forgeline wheels. They have the best prices.

http://www.forgeline.com/tires/r888.html

JET

Last edited by JETPILOT; 02-15-2008 at 09:42 PM.
Old 02-15-2008, 09:01 PM
IslandZavage

http://www.toyor888.net/racing/index.htm
Old 02-15-2008, 10:56 PM
r0mey
350Z-holic

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
Traction problem = SOLVED!

Wow! These R888 tires are AMAZING. It's a night and day difference between these tires and the ADVAN Sport summer tires I was running beofre. Both are 295/30/19. These tires rock!

I had traction in most of second and 3rd gear was totally hooked up. 565 works on the street!

JET
Good news to hear Jet I wish the made a 35 I guess imma stick with my 285/35 t1rs for now I have no 3rd gear traction problems second I do though
Old 02-15-2008, 11:03 PM
JETPILOT

Why do you guys like the 35 so much? Final drive ratio?

One note about these Proxes tires is that they are never to see temps below freezing even in storage or they will crack during use.

Wet review comming... hopefull not too soon. I'm a little nervous. By the vid below it doesn't look too bad in the rain.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mid2hrgOdRo&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mid2hrgOdRo&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

JET

Last edited by JETPILOT; 02-16-2008 at 01:18 AM.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:37 AM
overZealous1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got so used to when the factory tc would kick in, i could feel the exact point before it would and keep the tires at just a very slight slip.
can't wait to test the haltech tc though.
Old 02-16-2008, 04:11 AM
XKR

Originally Posted by rcdash
Well, if you don't want to wait for the Haltech or ProEFI solutions, you could go straight to the full Motec set up (and Sharif is certified to install and tune it). You can also get a dedicated system - I found a few links on the web when I was researching this:

http://www.moretraction.com/

http://www.racelogic.co.uk/

But you're looking at anywhere from a few thousand to many multiples of that (for example to switch to the Motec). The initial traction control offering for the Haltech I'm sure will be on full display at ZdayZ - you may want to try it out for yourself before committing to something else as they have lots of good stuff planned - PM Hal@IP for details.

Thanks Raj.....I want to keep my Fcon....so I am looking for a stand alone. I am going to check with Sharif and see which one he will install.
Old 02-16-2008, 05:23 AM
r0mey
350Z-holic

Why do you guys like the 35 so much? Final drive ratio?

One note about these Proxes tires is that they are never to see temps below freezing even in storage or they will crack during use.

Wet review comming... hopefull not too soon. I'm a little nervous. By the vid below it doesn't look too bad in the rain.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mid2hrgOdRo&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mid2hrgOdRo&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

JET
Jet ive had my proxes on and I dont see that problem you speak of I was out last nite I would say it was 32 degrees or less prolly 1am when I was driving home. My tires still hook up nice
Old 02-16-2008, 05:26 AM
rcdash

Originally Posted by XKR
Thanks Raj.....I want to keep my Fcon....so I am looking for a stand alone. I am going to check with Sharif and see which one he will install.
The "moretraction" link has some pretty nifty (small) devices using technology that really does appear to be innovative with testimonials that claim anywhere up to a couple seconds off of lap times from use of the unit alone. They are expensive though with their top end unit over $7k even though it's not much bigger than a pack of cigarettes. You need to get the right unit for your application(s). Maybe you can get them to sponsor you for ZdayZ - they are based in NC so they may be down for it, esp. since you road race a good bit - it'd be good PR for them.

Disclaimer: Just so you know, I have only briefly looked into such units and decided against because I have so little time to attend events. I have no idea if they will live up to the claims and hype or how much trouble and effort it takes to fine tune them to the point where they help more than hinder on a road course. That said, the "moretraction" link above has a self-learning feature that apparently learns track conditions. It seems almost too good to be true - except for the price of course!

Last edited by rcdash; 02-16-2008 at 05:42 AM.
Old 02-16-2008, 02:46 PM
JETPILOT

Here is the consumer advisory for the Proxes tires.

http://www.sector111.com/images/prod...ireStorage.pdf

JET
Old 02-16-2008, 02:52 PM
r0mey
350Z-holic

Here is the consumer advisory for the Proxes tires.

http://www.sector111.com/images/prod...ireStorage.pdf

JET

word thank you JET
Old 02-16-2008, 02:54 PM
JETPILOT

In my opinion this warning should be on a sticker on the tire at time of purchase. It's a lawsuit waiting to happen. Inspect them and be safe.

JET

Quick Reply: usable street horsepower