Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

>>>>"Experiences of buying a used Turbo" thread!!<<<<

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 12:36 PM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Say no to used kits! J/K
Just buyer beware.
Old 02-18-2008, 12:58 PM
JAM3Z
Phenom

Originally Posted by eagletanggreen
Say no to used kits! J/K
Just buyer beware.
Depending on the mileage and other factors, it also might be worth having the turbos rebuilt.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:18 PM
leeboyNY
Kimchi Eater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought barely used(3000miles) APS TT kit, and 99% of parts were included, so I guess I was lucky.. but two of my buddies who bought used APS ST kits weren't so lucky.. Lots of parts missing... Extra labor cost for fabricating them and being on the lift longer.. One of the turbos was leaking oil and ended up blowing up the engine.. Do NOT buy a used kit unless seller went through the parts list thoroughly and listed what's missing.
Old 02-18-2008, 04:36 PM
DanielW
Banned

nice write up
Old 02-18-2008, 04:43 PM
04LIQUIDSILVER

knock on wood ... I just got mine.... Installing in 2 weeks .. I guess I'll let you guys know..
Old 02-18-2008, 04:45 PM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

lol

its all depends who you are buying it from and the info provided ovbiously...

yah all can feel safe with my kit i got FS (in my zig )
Old 02-18-2008, 05:38 PM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

Originally Posted by IIQuickSilverII
lol

its all depends who you are buying it from and the info provided ovbiously...

yah all can feel safe with my kit i got FS (in my zig )

At least we'll know where to go find you whenit fails.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:43 PM
Jay'Z
Banned

Originally Posted by one350zfan
I guess I just got lucky

People, If you have a parts list for a kit(which can be downloaded) and have the ability to visually inspect the parts in person, you should be in good shape.

I would be weary of buying a kit that you could not physically pick-up from the owner unless a shop is helping them uninstall and ship it.

I have many used parts on my car!
YTF do i get the rolled eyes?????? Then you post "exactly" two posts down, agreeing with my statement.. WTF is that..

Last edited by Jay'Z; 02-18-2008 at 07:27 PM.
Old 02-18-2008, 07:20 PM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by eagletanggreen
At least we'll know where to go find you whenit fails.
hehe..no worries here
Old 02-18-2008, 08:39 PM
Audible Mayhem
My350z

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i have a used greddy kit for sale....

oh wait, ooops wrong thread
Old 02-19-2008, 06:10 AM
one350zfan

Originally Posted by Jay'Z
YTF do i get the rolled eyes?????? Then you post "exactly" two posts down, agreeing with my statement.. WTF is that..
I do not agree with your post which was...

Originally Posted by Jay'Z
I would only buy a kit if it were brand new in the box and the buyer changed their mind and decided to sell it.. Otherwise ur prob looking for trouble.. IMHO..
I was saying that you could buy any used kit with confidence if you have a parts list in hand and can visually inspect parts.

I wouldn't just blindly buy a used kit and have it shipped to my house!

Your post says you'll be in trouble if you buy an open box kit!

I bought an open box kit which was used and had no trouble... Guess I got lucky

Last edited by one350zfan; 02-19-2008 at 07:57 AM.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:47 AM
Lawy'dU

Originally Posted by Audible Mayhem
we charge more money to install a used kit too. make sure you throw that into the mix.

buy new!!
this is because you need to source missing parts (no used setup comes with everything) though right? You still pay less for a used setup.

I've been looking into purchasing a used setup for quite a while and have also concluded it is entirely not worth saving the few bucks now, because of the typical problems and hassles associated with used setups either during installation or further down the line.

I also say no to most used parts as well though. You really do get what you pay for.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:02 AM
one350zfan

Originally Posted by Lawy'dU
I also say no to most used parts as well though. You really do get what you pay for.
I got what I payed for!

An uninformed consumer will most likely to get screwed either way...

Last edited by one350zfan; 02-19-2008 at 08:29 AM.
Old 02-19-2008, 08:03 AM
Ed 718
BRAVEHEART

Take it from me guys I get numerous calls from those who have purchased used kits with parts missing. The parts if purchased seperately can be very expensive and more of a headache than one might think. The parts also can be in such a bad condition that more often than not it would be more benificial to simply replace the parts.

Awesome thread Eagle.........
Old 02-19-2008, 09:37 AM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

Originally Posted by Ed 718
Take it from me guys I get numerous calls from those who have purchased used kits with parts missing. The parts if purchased seperately can be very expensive and more of a headache than one might think. The parts also can be in such a bad condition that more often than not it would be more benificial to simply replace the parts.

Awesome thread Eagle.........

Very well put Ed, especially comming from a guy that deals with these types of issues on a daily basis.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:40 AM
SpoilsofWar

We can debate this both ways until the end of time... The bottomline is if you are willing to spend the extra money a new kit is always the way to go - you will not be missing any parts and your warrenty will be intact.

However if you find a good deal on a used kit, from a reputable seller, and you do your homework, a used kit can be a steal. Just dont be an idiot and buy from any random yahoo in the marketplace and expect everything to be as he stated in his ad. Make sure you get an itemized parts list and know what is or isnt there. Make sure if you have to source missing parts that you know how much they cost, and where you can get them from.

My used TN kit was missing nothing - not a bolt, clamp, nothing. All the parts were clearly labled with part number, etc. It had a brand new turbo with the upgraded watercooled bearing section. The only thing that wasn't included was the waterlines, which I sourced easily from Turbonetics, and the seller reinbursed me the cost. Overall I could not be happier with the purchase.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:10 AM
hydroflip

i've dealt with only used turbo kits before, and they are a good way of saving cash...but only if:

#1) all bolts, washers, nuts, and T-bolt clamps are included. (piping too of course)

#2) inspect all couplers as well as the manifolds for cracks

#3) check the turbos for any shaft play!

#4) send all the injectors back to RC or whatever company their origin is to get them cleaned and balanced.

#5) make sure you know what spring is inside of the wastegate if it uses an external one.

ps: if it comes with an FMU or a piggy back, i would personally trash it and go with a real EMS according to what your tuner is accustomed to. save yourself some pain in the long run.

hope this helps.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:30 AM
Ed 718
BRAVEHEART

Originally Posted by SpoilsofWar
We can debate this both ways until the end of time... The bottomline is if you are willing to spend the extra money a new kit is always the way to go - you will not be missing any parts and your warrenty will be intact.

However if you find a good deal on a used kit, from a reputable seller, and you do your homework, a used kit can be a steal. Just dont be an idiot and buy from any random yahoo in the marketplace and expect everything to be as he stated in his ad. Make sure you get an itemized parts list and know what is or isnt there. Make sure if you have to source missing parts that you know how much they cost, and where you can get them from.
Excellent post I would agree with getting a list of parts and in addition the trader rating also helps us here.
Old 02-19-2008, 12:50 PM
Youngz

Originally Posted by Ed 718
Excellent post I would agree with getting a list of parts and in addition the trader rating also helps us here.

Itrader can be a bit off. As in mine is a -1 because the punk a$s b*tch who sold me a crap kit from what he claimed as complete decided to give me bad feedback because myself and three others decided to let him know he is a fraud.

A bit of blowin off steam but after Nissan has my car for 2 days and in that time period have only accomplished...........well absolutely nothing concerning my current issue of the cars TADs system being completely f-ed and them not wanting to replace the BCM module so they are trying every other inept means of fixing my car 1st before they have to buy me a new module.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:40 PM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

Originally Posted by Youngz
Itrader can be a bit off. As in mine is a -1 because the punk a$s b*tch who sold me a crap kit from what he claimed as complete decided to give me bad feedback because myself and three others decided to let him know he is a fraud.

A bit of blowin off steam but after Nissan has my car for 2 days and in that time period have only accomplished...........well absolutely nothing concerning my current issue of the cars TADs system being completely f-ed and them not wanting to replace the BCM module so they are trying every other inept means of fixing my car 1st before they have to buy me a new module.

Weak dealership!

Quick Reply: >>>>"Experiences of buying a used Turbo" thread!!<<<<