Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Question on Supercharger Boost Levels

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2003, 06:00 PM
westpak
SFZCC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question on Supercharger Boost Levels

OK, here is a question that is opposite from what most people want to do with boost levels.

I am really interested in a supercharger for the added power for every day use, but I am concerned with the added power during a full day or weekend of track activity.

Can the boost be turned down or off? Is this even feasible and the car run OK?
Old 06-22-2003, 06:05 PM
PoWeRtRiP

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think a superchargers boost comes form the size of pulley it uses. At least the roots style blowers do it that way. If you want to run low boost in your off time it would be easier to just get a turbo and have two preprogammed fuel and bost settings.
Old 06-22-2003, 10:00 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

the boost cannot be turned off persay, it is controlled based on your RPM, and the pulley size the blower is using.. the smaller the pulley, the faster it will spin relative to RPM, more the boost.

when you're tracking a supercharger, you will notice quite often you have to let off the gas since its really powerful on the track, and i notice i was venting most of the boost via BOV on most turns and would only hit medium boost even on the straights...

i can only imagine running a boosted car on an auto-x or road course with RWD.. should be kinda scary, since i'm used to just plowing the pedal down during turns to pull the rear through....

if you're running boost, then i'd highly suggest you make sure your pulley doesnt fly off cuz of hard shifts.. TRUST ME.. belts jump..
Old 06-22-2003, 10:17 PM
jesseenglish

Yeah, since SC's don't have wastegates like turbochargers they are controlled by the pulley size. Smaller the pulley, the faster it turns the SC, the more boost it creates. So if you want to turn it off you'd have to pull the belt off the pulley.

This is just a thought and I don't even know if they make these so don't flame me if I'm wrong, but if you could get a BOV with a lower PSI setting or adjustable setting that would keep your boost level lower.
Old 06-23-2003, 12:17 AM
XBS
Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

is the ATI supercharger going to bring a BOV or will we be able to add one?
Old 06-23-2003, 12:41 AM
zland
Sponsor
Sport Z Magazine

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

I have read they are controling boost on the ATI SC. I am not sure how they are doing it but you can adjust it inside the car. Do search, you will see pics about what I am talking about. Maybe Paul at Avalon can describe the way they are adjusting boost. I did call him and remember him suggesting to set boost at 3-5p lbs around town and maybe uping boost to 7 lb when wanting greater hp. Again before flaming me on this, try calling Avalon or do a search. I am just trying to answer your question.

Jeff
Old 06-23-2003, 02:24 AM
Avalon Racing
Sponsor
Avalon Racing

Default Boost

The Ati kit boost is dependent upon the pulley size used. We have a test car ready to go where we will be playing with a lot of tuning.

I have been spending a lot of time with the guys at ATI and in fact going there in July to spend time with their R&D and sales team.

We are going to look at more controlabel tuning ideas.

We do know that 7psi is very streetable with this kit.

Zland - call me if you have more questions.

Regards
Old 06-23-2003, 05:26 AM
westpak
SFZCC

Thanks for all of the replies.

I have no concerns about it being streetable, so for the track since it can't be adjusted, after Chebosto's comments and thinking about I guess there is just so much you can handle around corners and short straights so you will handle it with the throttle and boost should not be much of a problem and on long stratights I guess the limiting factot will be your brakes at the end So I am starting to think that on the track the boost should not really be a problem on the engine.
Old 06-23-2003, 05:34 AM
Avalon Racing
Sponsor
Avalon Racing

Default road courses

We have tested numerous supcharged cars on road courses. since the charger is always on, lag is not a problem. adjsting the driving style to apply proper power accelerating out of the the apex takes a little learning. This is not different than the accelration calibration with a normally aspirated car.

If this was a turbo with boost on/off, then the ball game is completely different.

7 psi will be very road course friendly.

Regards
Old 06-23-2003, 07:04 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

remember, when they say 7 psi, they're talking PEAK boost, and normally peak boost is obtained near redline anyway..

i had a 9.5psi pulley on the Max, and on road courses i rarely saw max boost... maybe 8 tops.. just never had that much open road and a long enough straight to boost that high...

if you wanna track the car. i'd suggest bigger brakes than more power...

power is nothing w/o control.
Old 06-23-2003, 07:12 AM
Avalon Racing
Sponsor
Avalon Racing

Default Very good point

Well said ---- on max boost

Brakes and suspension are always the first upgrade fo r the track.

Regards
Old 06-23-2003, 07:31 AM
westpak
SFZCC

Thanks guys, I agree on the mods. I have the Nismo Swaybars and Eibach springs so far and brakes are next.

I was thinking of the supercharger not for the track but just for the satisfaction of driving the streets knowing I had 350+hp, but was actually concerned with the effect on the engine when I tracked it just didn't want to give up the track days or ruin the motor with the SC.

And from your comments I am feeling a little more comfortable with getting one and still tracking the car.