Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

designing a S/C / TN turbo specific hood!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 04:28 PM
JET MECH

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default designing a S/C / TN turbo specific hood!!!!

I have been thinking about doing this for a while. hear me out then give me your feed back on pros and cons of this idea.

i want to purchase a O.E.M carbon fiber hood. map out, cut, and install a NACA duct just forward of the supercharger/ TN turbo locaton (rivited on for now) with mesh screen at the opening. then about six inches aft of the NACA duct cut and install a vent to create a low pressure area so the hot air will be expelled to the atmosphere. i have always been the type of person to be function over form, but i think this could still be appealing to the eye if done right! i would think this would be worth while and provide substantial cooling to superchargers and turbos a like mounted in this area. please give me some feed back.........
Old 03-05-2008, 04:30 PM
taurran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could just buy a seibon VT hood.
Old 03-05-2008, 04:38 PM
JET MECH

but it dose not have a inlet just forward of the s/c head unit or the turbo so the ram air strikes directly onto it.
Old 03-05-2008, 04:58 PM
JET MECH

when i get my z back from GTM i am going to take this one step further. i have a fluke multi meter/thermometer with a remote temp sensor. i will mount the temp sensor on the volute of the supercharger, drive the z under hard boost conditions and take the highest temp reading. after the hood is modded as explained above i will run through the same driving condition and ambient temps and take my final readings. this should prove if this mod is worth while or i am just pissing in the wind.

Last edited by JET MECH; 03-05-2008 at 05:27 PM.
Old 03-05-2008, 05:02 PM
NOBI

this could be interesting. subscribing
Old 03-05-2008, 06:08 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by JET MECH
but it dose not have a inlet just forward of the s/c head unit or the turbo so the ram air strikes directly onto it.
If you had an inlet like that it would be on the front bumper. The front side of the hood is totally blocked by the radiator support, and air can only get to the turbo location through the stock "suction" hole in the support. If you wanted air to get IN there, you could just get a Varis air duct for the bumper as many before have done.

As it stands on a stock bumper wth a Seibon hood, the air comes in the front opening on the bumper, moves up past the turbo, and then comes out the top of the hood. It works well enough.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:26 PM
JET MECH

well then i guess the turbo application is out of the question. the vortech sit well enough over the rad support that this application may be effective. i have the front hood seal removed on my z and when you look through the gap between the bumper and the hood a little over a third of the s/c is over the rad support. BTW i have the varis bumper duct already installed and the cooling effect from this is hardly effective at all.

Trending Topics

Old 03-06-2008, 04:23 AM
jpc350z

Originally Posted by JET MECH
well then i guess the turbo application is out of the question. the vortech sit well enough over the rad support that this application may be effective. i have the front hood seal removed on my z and when you look through the gap between the bumper and the hood a little over a third of the s/c is over the rad support. BTW i have the varis bumper duct already installed and the cooling effect from this is hardly effective at all.
Have a gut feeling the benefit/cost ratio will be small..Have you considered mods to lower the charge temp thru the I/C . Perhaps a larger/thicker core that rejects heat better than the vortech stock... A thought..Fellow poster (Jovert) had Function Tuned do some R&D on his Vortech g35 with a different I/C and I believe he picked up some beneficial power..