Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

!!Alberto's Kryptonite (pics and video inside) -- Sequential Shifter!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 02:04 PM
MADScientist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up !!Alberto's Kryptonite (pics and video inside) -- Sequential Shifter!!

Ok guys... I have kept my mouth shut long enough. And, Luie will throw a fit if I don't post this today...

Alberto claims that no one can shift a manual transmission as fast as he can. I completely agree with him, I have fallen victim to his mastery of the speed shift. But, I figured if I can not beat him, I would find a product that would make even Lex Luther keep up with Superman!

I am not sure how many of you guys have came across this new product for the 350Z, but to my knowledge I am the first in the US to import this thing and Luie will now be the second as of today. I have worked with the local shop here in Indianapolis, Modified Auto Designs, to set them up as a direct distributor for Ikeya Formula to the United States. If you would like ordering information, send Luie or myself a PM and we can get you in contact with Modified.

I have had this thing for 5 months now and it was a long and tedious project. First, I had to translate over 30 pages of Japanese instructions so I could install it... If you have ever used a online translator you would know that the broken english that comes back is very hard to understand at best. Once the instructions were converted to English I went to work installing it with the transmission out of the car, which by the way makes this install 10 times easier! If you were to try this with the transmission in the car it would be ruffly a 6-8 hour job. There is a lot more to this thing than just the assembly on top... Some spacers, stops, and springs are changed internally on the transmission itself to help with the sequential action. The interior install took just as long, but I went a little over the top with the location of the shift indicator, by putting it inside the gauge cluster for a more OEM look.

As for driving impressions....

This thing is like playing video games, but for real! You can shift faster than you ever thought possible. It does take some feeling out to get used to the positive feel of how the shifter engages each gear, but once you get the "feel" down the only thing holding you back is the speed you can actuate the clutch... The biggest thing you will notice is the 2-3 and 4-5 up shifts. And for those of you who have missed a gear while racing on the track or the road course, never again! The shifter does take some adjusting to get just right. Figuring out how to make those adjustments has been mostly trial and error since I don't read Japanese. Getting each gear to engage the same was the biggest challenge. Luie has driven my car and I have never seen a 3-4 up shift happen so fast in a 350Z!! What's even better is that the boost never went negative between the gear change. And for you FCon users out there, Sharif and I are working on getting the Flat Shift (or anti lag) feature dialed in so you will maintain boost pressure while shifting...

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i191.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid191.photobucket.com/albums/z291/jkenefic/Z33SequenShifterTest.flv">

Name:  CIMG0826.jpg
Views: 3444
Size:  133.3 KB

Name:  CIMG0922.jpg
Views: 1516
Size:  141.3 KB

Name:  CIMG0923.jpg
Views: 2448
Size:  128.6 KB

Name:  CIMG0924.jpg
Views: 1969
Size:  126.1 KB

Name:  CIMG0925.jpg
Views: 1264
Size:  134.2 KB

Name:  CIMG0927.jpg
Views: 1456
Size:  146.8 KB

Name:  CIMG0926.jpg
Views: 1255
Size:  127.5 KB

Name:  CIMG0919.jpg
Views: 1241
Size:  118.1 KB

I will post some actual driving footage in the next couple of days. But I will hold back the full capabilities of this weapon until I show Alberto the business come ZDayZ. (hopefully I don't end up eating my words! lol)

Last edited by MADScientist; 03-17-2008 at 03:44 PM.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:04 PM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

Guys I was a bit weary about this the first time Joe the "Mad Man" showed this to me. I still had to drive it to belive it. This thing is bad @ss. You can rape thru the gears like a mad man. The shifts are nice and crisp, you must however shift like man to work the shifter, so girl men not need apply .

The shifter comes with a LED shift indicator that way you know what gear your in all the time, also comes with a nice boot with the shifter, but Joe chose not to go that route and show the manly lines and mechanism of the shifter. There is a slight whine as your going thru the RPM range (kinda like a dog gear whine but not loud). This thing is deffintly going to help at the drag strip and road course.

PM me or Joe and we can get you in touch with the vender. Price of this unit can vary on yen rate!

Last edited by eagletanggreen; 03-10-2008 at 02:16 PM.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:08 PM
Motormouth
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lol, I am sure alberto will enjoy this thread.

any idea on transmission failure with big TQ?
Old 03-10-2008, 02:10 PM
meatbag

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Where did you get yours from?
Old 03-10-2008, 02:10 PM
MADScientist

Originally Posted by Motormouth
lol, I am sure alberto will enjoy this thread.

any idea on transmission failure with big TQ?

So far so good, and with my setup we are making some BIG torque numbers...
Old 03-10-2008, 02:11 PM
MADScientist

Originally Posted by meatbag
Where did you get yours from?
I helped Modified Auto Designs in Indianapolis setup a direct distributorship. PM me for details if you are interested I will forward you their contact info.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:11 PM
SpoilsofWar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Freaking sick! Patiently waiting for in car vids.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:12 PM
ajcool2

Nice title.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:12 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs up Awesome

Great idea! For the record I NEVER stated nobody could shift a MT faster, but I can hold my own Im flattered you have gone out of your way and spent $$$$ to do something better and improve your shifting. I tell ya though, you havent eliminated the real factor that seperates my style from other "good" guys. I wont say what that is until after I beat you in our rematch! Make a video of you ripping a gear with all your might, and compare to this-it wont be faster

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lc1AsuN_mqg

Thats why I love the rivalry between myself, you and Luie, we all push ourselves more and more and in the end we all improve
Old 03-10-2008, 02:16 PM
iStan
ZR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder if CoachK would break the shifter or not.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:18 PM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

Originally Posted by istan
I wonder if CoachK would break the shifter or not.

No way on Hell, this thing way made for guys that like to rape thru the gears!
Old 03-10-2008, 02:20 PM
iStan
ZR

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

CoachK He's kinda like the resident my350 Hulk.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:21 PM
JAM3Z
Phenom

Oh MY GOD! Wow, I know you did some awesome work Joe, but this really takes the cake. Congrats and keep up the good work.

Quick question though; as badass as antilag would be, wouldn't that significantly reduce the longevity of the turbos? Additionally, is this device geared (no pun intended) more for drag racing, or is there a significant benefit to be had for us guys who are more in to driving in the twisties, such as the Dragon?

Last edited by JAM3Z; 03-10-2008 at 02:28 PM.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:37 PM
MADScientist

Originally Posted by JAMEZ@CiNcity
Oh MY GOD! Wow, I know you did some awesome work Joe, but this really takes the cake. Congrats and keep up the good work.

Quick question though; as badass as antilag would be, wouldn't that significantly reduce the longevity of the turbos? Additionally, is this device geared (no pun intended) more for drag racing, or is there a significant benefit to be had for us guys who are more in to driving in the twisties, such as the Dragon?
This is perfect for time attack and road course driving. I will have to let Luie speak to this as he has already done some testing with my car on some twisty roads that required him to go from 5th to 2nd gear in a hurry. Once he got used to it he said that this would be a huge advantage knowing you had the gear you wanted with out having to think about it. Also if you notice that the shifter it elevated closer to the steering wheel making it a lot nicer for keeping both hands on the wheel and only having to reach over pul the shifter and your hand is right back on the wheel to enter or exit the turn.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:40 PM
Hoooper

sequential shift i think was designed for road course racing, should be there that it shines best
Old 03-10-2008, 02:40 PM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

isn't driving lessons cheaper?
Old 03-10-2008, 02:46 PM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

Originally Posted by doug
isn't driving lessons cheaper?

Depends where you go!
Old 03-10-2008, 02:48 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JAMEZ@CiNcity
Quick question though; as badass as antilag would be, wouldn't that significantly reduce the longevity of the turbos?
I dont think anti-lag is all that. It is NOT hard to keep a car out of vacuum even with a quick lift shift. That is all the anti lag you need. Keeping the car in boost is even easier but the stress on the tranny/motor is not worth it to me-last time I EVER powershifted was in that video above-well over 1 year ago. Getting the timing on something like an anti-lag down will take some time and effort, in the end a good driver can do it easily with no additional stress on the turbos. Joe bringing this thing into the country is great, but lets not let people think they need these extras (anti-lag) to shift fast. Where it will shine is in the fact that you NEVER miss a gear, and could be consistent easier! I cant wait to make a video with Joe, I think Im more pumped than he is....
Old 03-10-2008, 02:49 PM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

Originally Posted by Hoooper
sequential shift i think was designed for road course racing, should be there that it shines best

i think this is going to also be a winner with "some" of the drag guys that want to keep their 6 speed.
Old 03-10-2008, 02:55 PM
eagletanggreen
Got Track!!!!!

Originally Posted by Alberto
I dont think anti-lag is all that. It is NOT hard to keep a car out of vacuum even with a quick lift shift. That is all the anti lag you need. Keeping the car in boost is even easier but the stress on the tranny/motor is not worth it to me-last time I EVER powershifted was in that video above-well over 1 year ago. Getting the timing on something like an anti-lag down will take some time and effort, in the end a good driver can do it easily with no additional stress on the turbos. Joe bringing this thing into the country is great, but lets not let people think they need these extras (anti-lag) to shift fast. Where it will shine is in the fact that you NEVER miss a gear, and could be consistent easier! I cant wait to make a video with Joe, I think Im more pumped than he is....

+1

Number one reason I bought it was "not miss a shift". However you can miss a shift with this if you shift like a girl.

Quick Reply: !!Alberto's Kryptonite (pics and video inside) -- Sequential Shifter!!