Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

APS Kit - How to bleed coolant? Valve Gone After Install

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 02:42 PM
jining

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default APS Kit - How to bleed coolant? Valve Gone After Install

Hey guys, well I am not convinced that my coolant is fully free of air bubbles although my temps are ok. Just curious if there is an alternate way to bleed the coolant of air after installing the APS kit, as the coolant bleeding valve is removed in order to put a T in its place for the turbo coolant lines.

Thanks!

-Aaron
Old 03-20-2008, 04:14 PM
al_v

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had to re-install the bleeding valve, right next to the T, to bleed the system , to much pain to remove and re-install the joint in that T, specially in the vq35, because you need to bleed the system like 10 times to remove all the air.....
Old 03-20-2008, 04:49 PM
Jarred@Z1
Sponsor
Z1 Motorsports

you just crack the new fitting you installed inplace of the valve. Or you could jack up the front of the car and leave the cap off just be sure you poor the coolant in very slowly to let the air escape.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:08 PM
jining

Hmmmm you mean just take off one of the sides of the T fitting to let the air out or what do you mean by crack it? Cant do the jack up thing unless I do a coolant flush, coolants already in there
Old 03-20-2008, 07:07 PM
maximumsportZ

Spill free funnel FTW. It's how I do my APS Z.

http://www.drivewerks.com/catalog/sh...CAT591_pg2.htm
Old 03-20-2008, 07:58 PM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by jining
Hmmmm you mean just take off one of the sides of the T fitting to let the air out or what do you mean by crack it? Cant do the jack up thing unless I do a coolant flush, coolants already in there

I kept my oem "T" fitting in place and spliced the line to install the feed to the turbo. If you don't have the oem piece you are supposed to unscrew the fitting that feeds the turbo and bleed it that way. I would recommend reinstalling the oem fitting and splicing the line and reinstalling the APS supplied T
Old 03-21-2008, 12:17 AM
jining

damnit... highly doubt I have that oem fitting anymore... so I can just unscrew the coolant feed line that screws into the T and bleed it that way is that what your saying Ziv?

What are the best steps to take to bleed it that way... I would assume I have to plug the braided line I unscrew, then just warm up the car until coolant starts pouring out of the T? hmmmm I dont think that will work... :0/

I read something about warming the car up with the radiator cap off and the front end jacked up to allow air to get out of the radiator easier? Truth or Lies? Will that work?

Last edited by jining; 03-21-2008 at 12:32 AM.
Old 03-21-2008, 06:28 AM
Zivman

Originally Posted by jining
damnit... highly doubt I have that oem fitting anymore... so I can just unscrew the coolant feed line that screws into the T and bleed it that way is that what your saying Ziv?

yes... we are doing a build on a G35 right now that didn't have the fitting and I got it from the dealer for 9 bucks. The piece that screws into it is more money though

What are the best steps to take to bleed it that way... I would assume I have to plug the braided line I unscrew, then just warm up the car until coolant starts pouring out of the T? hmmmm I dont think that will work... :0/

I read something about warming the car up with the radiator cap off and the front end jacked up to allow air to get out of the radiator easier? Truth or Lies? Will that work?
Honestly, APS' bleading instructions are perfect. So just look at the install instructions. Otherwise, check the service manual for the Z.
Old 03-21-2008, 07:19 AM
westpak
SFZCC

Originally Posted by maximumsportZ
Spill free funnel FTW. It's how I do my APS Z.

http://www.drivewerks.com/catalog/sh...CAT591_pg2.htm
^^^ the quickest way to do it
Old 03-21-2008, 08:21 AM
down_shift

Had this problem before, if you want to check for bubbles.. take the radiator cap off and squeeze the radiator hoses a few times.. if there's bubbling.. then you still have air in your system.. Jack up the car with the cap off too.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:18 AM
Zivman

Originally Posted by westpak
^^^ the quickest way to do it
I've done this more times than I care to admit. You need the funnel and you need to open up the coolant system in the rear to get all the air out. It issually takes about 3-5 heat cycles to get it purged
Old 03-21-2008, 09:42 AM
tig488

ive got my old vent nipple, you can have it.