Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Specific and modest goals...JWT 530s?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2008, 09:11 AM
ricochet

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Specific and modest goals...JWT 530s?

...So life happened and I haven't posted for a couple of years but now I'm having naughty thoughts again about my 350z...

1st off don't have the $$$ to build a NA KoniGrandAM car nor a built motor, DR shredding 10,000 HP TT 350Z fueled w/ dilithium crystals (don't want to add anymore to the 'go big or go home' responses)...

That said, I'm leaning towards JWT TT 530s to meet these modest goals on a working man's salary:
1) Go straight quicker than the guy in the IS350 who's sipping his coffee while talking on his bluetooth wireless headset w/o ever lifting his foot off the gas (i.e. high 12s on stock rubber w/ grocery getting launch and shifts)
2) Shake off and not get passed by late-model M3s on the front straight of (name your favorite road course that has a long front straight here) during track days
3) And of course handles daily driving duties reliably like stock

Bottom line is I'm not out to take 1st place on a dyno contest, time attack, or drag grudge match... I just don't want to be embarrassed by the factory grocery-getters nowadays putting down 300+hp vs my '03 287hp (and really isn't it closer to 270hp w/ the new ratings?)

So the question is will the JWT TT 530s with a conservative tune (7 psi safe enough for stock internals?) get me there... or is there a better suited kit... or should I just not bother and just trade-in for a used M3 (probably cheaper in the long run and I get a back seat!)?

Lots of joking but looking for some serious and intelligent feedback... thanks
Old 03-21-2008, 09:29 AM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

7psi on a soft launch, conservative shifting and tuned JWT set-up would likely run low 13's. Id rather do another kit that provides more power at that boost level, but thats just my opinion. Your best bet is to take rides in different set-ups and see what you like, good thing is here in MD we have everything from weaksauce S/C's to stock block ST and TT cars to built motors.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:36 AM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Alberto
7psi on a soft launch, conservative shifting and tuned JWT set-up would likely run low 13's. Id rather do another kit that provides more power at that boost level, but thats just my opinion. Your best bet is to take rides in different set-ups and see what you like, good thing is here in MD we have everything from weaksauce S/C's to stock block ST and TT cars to built motors.
^^^ Like Bert said we have the mild to wild in the mid-a so if you wanna ride someday we can hook you up.Chaz has a sweet jwt setup i have a nice greddy setup and Bert has a ***** to the wall setup(which will scare the crap outta you)so just come to one of the meets.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:43 AM
Clint@Altered
Banned

Looking at your goals, I say 530 kit all the way. You'll have instant spool, tons of torque and a well mannered reliable street car capable of an easy 400whp/wtq (w/exhaust). We’ve had the kit now on a couple of customer’s cars for over 40,000 miles (30,000+ on one an in-house commuter car) on stock motors with absolutely no problems. Plus its just an incredibly fun kit to drive!

Last edited by Clint@Altered; 03-21-2008 at 09:45 AM.
Old 03-21-2008, 09:47 AM
ricochet

Originally Posted by Alberto
7psi on a soft launch, conservative shifting and tuned JWT set-up would likely run low 13's. Id rather do another kit that provides more power at that boost level, but thats just my opinion.
I threw out 7psi since the JWT I believe tops out at that boost level out-of-the-box... what kit do you recommend?
Old 03-21-2008, 09:50 AM
MrKaira
Really MrZ31

I love the JWT kit, very driveable, very streetable. Mine is my daily.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:18 AM
DanielW
Banned

the jwt 530's are what i would go with for sure if i was gonna stay stock block and had the extra money. That being said the greddy twins with a utec is deffinitely going to be your best bang for the buck and accomplish all the goals you listed on a stock block.
Old 03-21-2008, 10:31 AM
wannabuy350z

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have thought long and hard about my 530 JWT kit, and it really is good. as they said spool time is incredible (dont know if you have ever experienced lag before) you will feel like a 16yr again, becuse you wanna drive your car no matter what the reason is. put that kit on, get a aem A/R gauge and Boost and be done with it. I would also upgrade your radiator and add a oil cooler, simply because its more efficient
Old 03-21-2008, 07:10 PM
usingthejohn

really, any kit out there would give you the 'modest goals' you have in mind. There may be a few hundred RPM difference in lag between various kits, but a competent tuner could install an APS/Greddy/JWT kit and help you achieve longetivity, reliability, and all-around enjoyment an FI purchase would bring on a stock block.

**Reliability, as i'm sure you're aware, is loosely used. But again, as long as your tuner is competent, your risk could be greatly reduced.