Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Have Extra $, Looking to do FI, SC? Vortech, Stillen or ATI?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 07:16 AM
Julian@MRC
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MMC Racing
Julian, you are the obvious expert here, so how many Vortech blown engines have you torn down to come up with your conclusions?
None, that why it was a "theory" on my end based on what commonly happens when metal shavings would enter an engine.. I was asking if anyone had done so.. and shared the information. To date we have had no Vortech or Procharger failures on any cars we built or tuned..
Also, can you explain how a properly installed vortech kit is even in the same neighborhood in cost compared to a APS TT kit?
Price of Vortech tuner kit..
Injectors
Fuel pump
UTEC
Map sensor
extra labor on fuel system
Oil pan spacer or Oil pan
Tuning.
Based on "average shop rates" this could put you close to the cost depending on the shop,and rates..
Frankly, your 100% no BS opinions sound like biased opinions from a shop owner who obviously prefers the lines he carries.
Thats not true at all. If your happy with your choice and the methods of install, then so be it.Im just adding my opinions to the topic, not a sales pitch at all.
You still have never addressed my comment on the "propper taping of an engine oil pan" cause you know Im 100% right. Not one engine builder I know of would remotely suggest tapping the upper oil pan in the manner that Vortech suggests. This is why I like the procharger self contained oiling system..

Seems like you ignored all my comments about Procharger, and flew with the Vortech one, sound to me as if your the one looking at my opinions in a biased manner.

I provided my Pro's and Cons on both systems, and you and someone who does not even own, nor has he ever installed a supercharger, or anything for that matter, jump all over my statements. Sounds a bit fishy to me..
Anyhow, to the OP, take all the advice you get on here for what it is, "free advice"....you get what you pay for..lol
Old 04-13-2008, 11:43 AM
taurran

In Seinfeld's terms - that must be some magic shaving! I actually know from what work I've done on these cars that it would actually take some work to get a shaving up there. But yeah, you could also drop a screw inside the heads, but I don't think that's going to stop anyone from taking the plenum off.

And no, those other manufacturers don't have it wrong, they just aren't following the old rule that for a gravity return, the higher the better. Neither way is wrong, it's just some would rather tap above the oil line instead of return oil into a standing pool.
Old 04-13-2008, 05:53 PM
Dr. Venture

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SpoilsofWar
The drilling/tapping is for oil return, not supply. You cant use a sandwich plate for that.
won't you have to tap and drill to get the supply as well as get the return? I figure the adapter does both one shot easily.
Old 04-13-2008, 06:53 PM
SpoilsofWar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dr. Venture
won't you have to tap and drill to get the supply as well as get the return? I figure the adapter does both one shot easily.
No, you dont have to drill and tap for supply. You can tee off the factory oil pressure sensor port.

And you CANT return into a sandwich plate. So no, it doesnt do both.
Old 04-13-2008, 07:42 PM
Dr. Venture

No, you dont have to drill and tap for supply. You can tee off the factory oil pressure sensor port.

And you CANT return into a sandwich plate. So no, it doesnt do both.
so your saying when using an oil cooling kit once the cooler gets the oil to cool that it does not return back through the same adapter? On a diff line of course.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:21 PM
SpoilsofWar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so your saying when using an oil cooling kit once the cooler gets the oil to cool that it does not return back through the same adapter? On a diff line of course.
WTF? Yes of course you can return oil from a cooler via a sandwich plate. No you cant return oil from the turbo via a sandwich plate. It is two completely different concepts.
Old 04-13-2008, 08:36 PM
Dr. Venture

WTF? Yes of course you can return oil from a cooler via a sandwich plate. No you cant return oil from the turbo via a sandwich plate. It is two completely different concepts.
saying no without an explanations telling me nothing. Why can't you use the adapter to supply and return for a turbo or sc that requires? I dont know the answer so explain it to me please.
Old 04-14-2008, 02:16 AM
taurran

saying no without an explanations telling me nothing. Why can't you use the adapter to supply and return for a turbo or sc that requires? I dont know the answer so explain it to me please.
Because the return line needs a 3/8" NPT or larger return directly into the pan. In a perfect world you'd even go as large as 5/8".
Old 04-14-2008, 03:20 AM
Dr. Venture

Originally Posted by taurran
Because the return line needs a 3/8" NPT or larger return directly into the pan. In a perfect world you'd even go as large as 5/8".
Gotcha! thanks.