Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Built Motor Guys...What do u regret? (Chapter 2 of was it worth it)

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 04:24 PM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Alberto
Sorry, didnt know, I figured it was gonna start another "my shop is better than yours" thread
Nah man I want this thread to be really informational not a shop vs shop thread
Old 04-09-2008, 04:24 PM
coachk
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by taurran
Hey wait I thought mine would be done this weekend!

Hopefully they will finish mine first because it's obviously the faster car.
Its a good chance both will be ready. Are you going to Bradenton this Sunday for the TampaRacing drag races? I'll be there just not racing.

Sorry OP......
Old 04-09-2008, 04:25 PM
JAM3Z
Phenom

This is a slightly unrelated rant, but I wish I had protected my rear bumper better with a clear-bra or something because the soot from not having cats is starting to get out of hand.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:26 PM
SpoilsofWar

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I regret taking my engine to a machine shop that was not familiar with the complexity of the VQ and thus unable to provide me with an accurate quote. When I did get the quote for the machine work (I supplied all the parts mind you), it was astronomical, and completely unacceptable to me. But they had already done the tear down and inspect so I had to pay them for that labor. Then I had to take the disassembled engine to my current builder (who is very familar with the VQ35) to have the work done and be reassembled. All this has cost me time.

I haven't driven my car since the end of December and it sucks. Many have gone longer then that but I think I underestimated the suck factor of not having your car for that long. Dont make that mistake; be prepared for it to take twice as long and cost twice as much.

I regret failing to do adequate research and making impulse buys for my build. For example, I picked up Cometic headgaskets, until I was told by my builder that they are basically the same as the stockers. So I had to sell them at a loss and buy the HKS'.

In retrospect I probably would have just purchased an already built shortblock rather then piece together all the parts and then have it all put together. Some of the prices out there for built shortblocks are really appealing.

A turnkey package like MRC, Forged, GTM and others are offering is probably a good idea for those who are in a position (geographically) to take advantage of them. You are going to have people to fix any issues, your costs will be known, your timeline will probably be reasonable. I would not take this option because I love to work on my own car, but its worth considering for some.

All in all I do regret some choices I've made and I haven't even put my car back together yet. I would change the way I've gone about it so far, but I would definitely do it all again anyway in a heartbeat because I love this car.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:32 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by coachk
Its a good chance both will be ready. Are you going to Bradenton this Sunday for the TampaRacing drag races? I'll be there just not racing.

Sorry OP......
I will if I have the car back. I'm still signed up from the original event. I'm not sure if I'll be racing or not though (if I make it).

I'm also on call for work this weekend so that kinda sucks.

I hope both cars are done that would be great!

Jamez - Get some cleaner wax and a terry towel. The soot will come right off and it will be nice and shiny.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:44 PM
Vas@Extended
Vendor - Former Vendor

You know what suckss!!? is that im still N/A... dannng itt.

Butt..

Thumbs up on these 2 threads, I read all of em. Definitely some good info!!
Old 04-09-2008, 04:46 PM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ZthirtyThr33
You know what suckss!!? is that im still N/A... dannng itt.

Butt..

Thumbs up on these 2 threads, I read all of em. Definitely some good info!!
+1 keep em coming guys. Be detailed liked Berto did and list them out
Old 04-09-2008, 04:49 PM
taurran

Originally Posted by SpoilsofWar
I regret taking my engine to a machine shop that was not familiar with the complexity of the VQ and thus unable to provide me with an accurate quote. When I did get the quote for the machine work (I supplied all the parts mind you), it was astronomical, and completely unacceptable to me. But they had already done the tear down and inspect so I had to pay them for that labor. Then I had to take the disassembled engine to my current builder (who is very familar with the VQ35) to have the work done and be reassembled. All this has cost me time.

I haven't driven my car since the end of December and it sucks. Many have gone longer then that but I think I underestimated the suck factor of not having your car for that long. Dont make that mistake; be prepared for it to take twice as long and cost twice as much.

I regret failing to do adequate research and making impulse buys for my build. For example, I picked up Cometic headgaskets, until I was told by my builder that they are basically the same as the stockers. So I had to sell them at a loss and buy the HKS'.

In retrospect I probably would have just purchased an already built shortblock rather then piece together all the parts and then have it all put together. Some of the prices out there for built shortblocks are really appealing.

A turnkey package like MRC, Forged, GTM and others are offering is probably a good idea for those who are in a position (geographically) to take advantage of them. You are going to have people to fix any issues, your costs will be known, your timeline will probably be reasonable. I would not take this option because I love to work on my own car, but its worth considering for some.

All in all I do regret some choices I've made and I haven't even put my car back together yet. I would change the way I've gone about it so far, but I would definitely do it all again anyway in a heartbeat because I love this car.
I hope it works out for you. You know what I think.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:52 PM
JAM3Z
Phenom

Originally Posted by taurran

Jamez - Get some cleaner wax and a terry towel. The soot will come right off and it will be nice and shiny.
Thanks Craig. Unfortunately I damaged my bumper last week, but when I replace it after Zdayz, then I definitely will do that.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:58 PM
XKR

I have no regrets...but I cant take credit for that. Its because of all the info I have recieved from this website. I have learned from the mistakes of others. You all that have the knowledge and have been welling to share it...all i can say is thanks.

Alberto....I know you are one of the main ones that are willing to share the good and the bad.....most will not. Thanks to you too for steering me in the right directions.
Old 04-09-2008, 04:59 PM
Alberto
Cranky FI Owner

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

<----has had burnt bumper holes for years, no cleaner wax on earth will clean mine up. Ive grown to like it
Old 04-09-2008, 05:08 PM
Tyler4

I dont know if you are serious. If you are, thats the type of thinking that makes me not want to share my experiences with the community anymore, why potentially help you if your not doing the same? Good luck with your build.

Getting to the OP's question:

*Better EMS from the start, but at the time FCON was only choice and having a locked down EMS wasnt an option!

*L19's instead of 1/2" studs

*No sleeves, but again at the time they were thought to be required for 550+whp

*If I hadnt done sleeves, and studs I could have likely done some mild headwork which would have proven beneficial.

*HKS DLI ignition, while I did feel smoother throttle response, who knows what if anything its doing for me, $$$$ better spent elsewhere

*Braille 11.5lb battery, POS died on me within 1 week of having it? Actually 10 min with the HU on and car off = dead Replacement was also garbage. Perhaps 15lb is better

*Wish I had done crazier cams other than JWT S1, but midrange TQ was nasty. BC stage 3 should pull like a raped ape up top

EDIT
*Wish I had "just" done Eagle rods, Pauters are nicer but for my power levels Eagles would have been more than fine and I could have saved $600

Let me add some things, I DONT regret:

*Carbonetics triple disc clutch, if it can handle my abuse, it can handle yours

*Koyo radiator, cheap and effective

*SS clutch line, made clutch pedal feel much better

Ok, Im done
I'm not gonna lie, there is a lot of bull**** that sometimes goes on in these forums, but it's posts/info like this that make this site sooo helpful to the whole Z community.
Old 04-09-2008, 05:17 PM
Zivman

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts

I have been part of 3 VQ motor builds now and have learned a ton about this setup. My advise:
- Spend the money on a good EMS
- Over buy your clutch. it will just end up costing you more in the long run
- there is a big difference from a car <500whp and one that is 500+whp in terms of parts needed, traction, reliability, etc
- sometimes proper machine work and proper installation are more important than buying the absolute best parts
-keep things as simple as you can
-don't be short sighted and don't have tunnel vision... look beyond making the 500whp on the dyno and consider other aspects of making the car enjoyable to drive

and my most important lessons learned:
1.)18+ psi is too much for oem headgaskets
2.)DO NOT run underdrive pulleys, it isn't worth it
Old 04-09-2008, 05:18 PM
r0mey
350Z-holic

I regret not getting 3 inch downpipes from the start.

I regret not getting bigger cams

I regret not buy better tires in the rear I went thru ALOT

Other than that nothing I beat the **** out of my car nitely and it loves it
Old 04-09-2008, 05:19 PM
buzzardmountain

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tyler4
I'm not gonna lie, there is a lot of bull**** that sometimes goes on in these forums, but it's posts/info like this that make this site sooo helpful to the whole Z community.
+1
Old 04-09-2008, 05:20 PM
r0mey
350Z-holic

<----has had burnt bumper holes for years, no cleaner wax on earth will clean mine up. Ive grown to like it
+100
Old 04-09-2008, 05:22 PM
r0mey
350Z-holic

thread stuck BTW

Old 04-09-2008, 05:23 PM
Tyler4

Originally Posted by JAMEZ@CiNcity
This is a slightly unrelated rant, but I wish I had protected my rear bumper better with a clear-bra or something because the soot from not having cats is starting to get out of hand.
I'll have to admit, this is one good thing about black
Old 04-09-2008, 05:26 PM
D350Z10

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Things I regret:
-Buying a turbonetics kit, and trying to go for big power

-Taking my car to Tuning Factory in Michigan

-Using a Turbo Xcess Utec

-Using Standard ARP head Studs

-Using a Cometic head gasket

-RC Injectors

-Not test driving my car before I picked it up

-Wiesco Pistons

-Not buying a Greddy TT first

-Not Porting my heads
Old 04-09-2008, 05:28 PM
jumpin800agl
8 to 11

This thread delivers definitely. Keep the good info going. Black soot FTL, but it's such a small price to pay for the sound of the DP and dumps plus the TT's. Anybody suggest a specific brand of cleaner wax?

Quick Reply: Built Motor Guys...What do u regret? (Chapter 2 of was it worth it)