Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

How to build a custom Turbo kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2008, 08:18 AM
NA&CH
General & Tech Senior Moderator
MY350Z.COM

Received 132 Likes on 96 Posts

So if a new guy post on the forum and members come in and post ******** and bicker with another member we done warn or delete there post?

Even a mod to come in and say Ill be back to close is retarded. Just because it is easier to buy a kit and have someone do the work doesn't mean others have to.

I hate the comment about and owning a Z. I have since day one. People have lives outside of cars and living with parents/renting is not the way some plan on living. I for one decided to buy a house rather than mod my car. Granted I wish I waited Live and learn. Although I am glad I did b/c I would have spent my savings on my car and seen no return...

Give the guy a break and help others out. Instead of bashing/flaming new members.

Chris

Whos this Team-Anti fail btw? I already been done sig \/
Old 04-16-2008, 08:24 AM
Zridder19

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Chris, I am el presidente of Teh Official Anti-DNF movement. You are welcome to join if you would like,

VVV just copy my sig.
Old 04-16-2008, 08:27 AM
taurran

Originally Posted by Zridder19
Hey Chris, I am el presidente of Teh Official Anti-DNF movement. You are welcome to join if you would like,

VVV just copy my sig.

Why do you have a pic of a 12 year old boy as your avatar?
Old 04-16-2008, 08:37 AM
Zridder19

o0 geez. lol Thats Ashley that used to work at Forged Performance.

Its a joke between me and CT ( a DNF'er)
Old 04-16-2008, 09:01 AM
taurran

Originally Posted by Zridder19
o0 geez. lol Thats Ashley that used to work at Forged Performance.

Its a joke between me and CT ( a DNF'er)
My bad...
Old 06-20-2009, 09:06 AM
Darkknight916

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TheStigZ33
^ that was well stated but im not going with the stock setup, it gonna put out some hp! if i do math and its gonna mess my weight ditibution up so bad that i cant adjust the motor to get it pretty close i will just turbo the HR.
Hey man, props to you... although i think this build is more to prove that you can do it than if it is actually proven/potentially superior to the built VQ. i'm all for someone who works outside the box, engineering something different but quality. Just don't half *** the work. If it costs big $ don't back away from it... it sounds like you've already committed to it, don't go embarrassing anyone buy being scared of finishing cause of cost. (i'd sell a kidney or two on the black market if i were that sure of my self, skills and the build)

Bump!
Old 06-20-2009, 09:20 AM
Darkknight916

Default another self-motivated buildER

Originally Posted by 2004350z16
I want to turbo my 04 350z an dont wanna spend $4,000-$6,000 on a kit.I know someone that can do the v band an bend all my pipes mandrel bent.I was just wondering what turbo Do I get to put on the car I am having trouble on finding which turbo is good for the car.I don't want alot more power I just wanna run about 5psi if that just to give a little more kick.Anyone have any info please help me an if you have pics much appreciation.Thanks Justin.

hey man,

i'm glad you asked about building your own setup. here's what i've found, if you're still trying to figure it out. i put together my own kit for my INtegra with a JDM B16A1. i pieced it all together and it went flawlessly from manifold to SAFCII. the only thing is that it is a relatively common mod now days, almost like going to pep boys and buying some APC version off the shelf, i digress.

the kit has some hurdles. the first is turbo choice... while the T3/T4 or T04E are awesome "utility" turbos, they take some engine bay modification to fit... not something i want to do. so i'm going with the Garrett GT35R turbos. they are small and will work great with the twin set up i want to do... that's another issue, single or twin??? the GT35R's are used on a variety of cars AND large bikes so they love the displacement of a three cylinder bank-ie, twins.

Now you have to fabricate the exhaust manifold-not too many companies want to undertake this endeavor for some reason... i weld, so i'm fabricating mine from dimensions off the old log manifolds as i build the bottom end.

other issues are finding all the pieces, QUALITY not quantity.

and your final issue is the tune-another place that i too, am stumped.

hope it helps, i'll let you know if i come up with anything better in my build.

DK
Old 06-20-2009, 09:41 AM
350 Rookie
Banned

Buoat ftl
Old 06-20-2009, 10:52 AM
bbs350z

Originally Posted by DavesZ#3
(Release the Kracken....)
lol are you referring to the mythical gigantic octopus creature that was supposedly a "mile and a half" around lol?

anyways, your best bet is a tried and true aftermarket setup. dont build your own, youll spend too much on fabrication costs. try a used tn/greddy/sts/powerlabs kit.

but just so you know, this car isnt a honda, supporting mods cost just as much, if not more than your turbo setup. gotta pay to play
Old 06-21-2009, 12:55 AM
tony_t

this thread reminds me why I tend to be more of a lurker....

To the OP: I can tell you it is a pain in the *** to build your own turbo system and you will run into many problems along the way. I am still dealing with one little issue dealing with my MAF and bypass valve not getting along but I will get it figured out. The manifolds, piping, RFS, Intercooler, exhaust and other things im forgetting about were all hand-built. All in all, it feels good to know I manged to accomplish such a feat.

To everyone else: I appreciate the help I have received on this site. But like most forums it seems only a handful of people are here to actually help out. Way more people would rather pipe in and flame someone for trying something different or turn it into a big dick swingin, my wallet is fatter than yours contest. I really like brand name stuff but if I think I can build it I will certainly give it a try.

Good luck to all you DIY'ers. The more of us that keep building our own parts the more we will learn about our cars..

AND thank you Phunk for the bitchin fuel rails!! to anyone who is wondering, his rails are a great buy and for the life of me I couldnt get fuel rail stock to fit under the upper manifold properly

Here is a little pic of the almost completed engine bay.. for those who dont believe it can be done. There is more work to be done but yes the car is on the road and boosting. I drive it everyday to the local coffee shop I work at

Name:  HPIM1941.jpg
Views: 2238
Size:  114.4 KB

Last edited by tony_t; 06-21-2009 at 12:59 AM.
Old 06-21-2009, 01:14 AM
quiksilver38

DIY ebay turbo systems belong only on pre 1994 civic beaters, not on or anywhere near a $20,000 car.
Old 06-21-2009, 01:31 AM
tony_t

Originally Posted by quiksilver38
DIY ebay turbo systems belong only on pre 1994 civic beaters, not on or anywhere near a $20,000 car.
just to clarify something... nothing on my car has anything to do with DIY ebay pieces of ****....

It was built around REAL gt28rs turbochargers. the intercooler is built from a griffin core. The manifolds are fabricated. the IC pipes are all fabricated from mandrel sections. My external wastegates, bypass valves and many other parts were manufactured about a 100 yards from the shop pictured in a large facility housing more CNC lathes and mills then I care to count. I built my RFS from AN fittings and lines from summit. The only part of the fuel system I have you cant purchase from summit is Phunks rails and part of the correction kit that goes in the fuel basket that replaces the factory regulator. That part we machined by hand taking measurements using a micrometer. All silicone couplers are high quality as well as t-bolt clamps. The exhaust is hand built from.. guess what? Exhaust pipe and magnaflow mufflers. works just like any $1000+ exhaust kit at a fraction of the price. It may not be as shiny but who gives a fack when my car sits so low you cant see it.

So if you were directing that comment at me I will put you in that category of A-holes who have nothing constructive to say and just wanna be a hater.

Ever seen energy suspension motor mounts on a Z....
Name:  HPIM1914.jpg
Views: 2473
Size:  130.6 KB

and you wont find that IC on ebay or a bumper support that will allow fitment
Name:  HPIM1930.jpg
Views: 2270
Size:  164.5 KB

worried about cutting the support and still being able to tow the car with the factory hook? Box it.
Name:  HPIM1939.jpg
Views: 2141
Size:  98.3 KB

My buddy finishing up the final touches on my exhaust
Name:  HPIM1933.jpg
Views: 2256
Size:  135.2 KB

Last edited by tony_t; 06-21-2009 at 01:50 AM. Reason: adding pics
Old 06-21-2009, 01:46 AM
JRiELsFairladyZ

i havent been doin much research on turbo kits cuz im far from that point right now but wut is the most affordable kit right now?
Old 06-21-2009, 01:56 AM
*Boose*

Originally Posted by tony_t
just to clarify something... nothing on my car has anything to do with DIY ebay pieces of ****....

It was built around REAL gt28rs turbochargers. the intercooler is built from a griffin core. The manifolds are fabricated. the IC pipes are all fabricated from mandrel sections. My external wastegates, bypass valves and many other parts were manufactured about a 100 yards from the shop pictured in a large facility housing more CNC lathes and mills then I care to count. I built my RFS from AN fittings and lines from summit. The only part of the fuel system I have you cant purchase from summit is Phunks rails and part of the correction kit that goes in the fuel basket that replaces the factory regulator. That part we machined by hand taking measurements using a micrometer. All silicone couplers are high quality as well as t-bolt clamps. The exhaust is hand built from.. guess what? Exhaust pipe and magnaflow mufflers. works just like any $1000+ exhaust kit at a fraction of the price. It may not be as shiny but who gives a fack when my car sits so low you cant see it.

So if you were directing that comment at me I will put you in that category of A-holes who have nothing constructive to say and just wanna be a hater.
Props to you for creating a custom kit. To be honest with you every turbo kit made is or at least at one point was a custom kit. HKS's GT3071's were in R&D at one point before mass production. They had to start somewhere. The only difference between you and HKS is that you are independent and HKS is an international mass production shop. But the kit you produce is a oneoff kit making it not the best it can be. When you mass produce something there's so much R&D that is put into the project that every counter part is perfect. HKS, JWT, Greddy/Trust, Top Secret all build or built the best TT kits simply because of the R&D and extract every hp possible. Hence why with all these kits you can simply push the limits of the stock block VQ on 8 psi. R&D development tell them where the limits are.

Before I begin this I have lots of shop experience with the RB20, 25, 26, 30, SR powerplants. Everything. Look at my location. Now there is a huge line between unique and stupidity.

1) Stupidity explained: In relative terms of producing the most power out of an engine begins with displacement. For reference the 370Z on 8psi will make more than the 350Z on 8 psi simply because of displacement.

But were talking nearly 1 full liter of displacement almost. The only benefit of going to an RB is to utilize a 10k rpm monster single turbo monster or nothing. With an RB series engine if you don't rev it, you recieve no feedback undr 6000 rpm. This is from experience of driving R33 GTS-T, R32 GTR, and some other swapped cars. They are almost like 4 cylinders.

2) Unique is something smart that is done. There's a few JGTC 350Z's running the VG30DETT. For the better balance (can position it further back to nearly make a mid engine layout), less displacement for the tracks they race on (higher rpms), and also the less weight and cheaper price for parts and known durability of the VG. That is unique.

The whole RB swap to me is stupid. They offer nothing over the VQ is terms of fully built ***** to the walls. There are just bone heads who have heard of a skyline, who can only dream of one day owning one. I've owned a couple and to be honest with you grow up. Mature yourselves and your cars. Using yesterdays technology in today's vehicles are stupid. Get with the times. A fully built VQ is cheaper, safer, smarter, and all around the much better and proven choice.

Last edited by *Boose*; 06-21-2009 at 01:58 AM. Reason: edited editing edits
Old 06-21-2009, 02:02 AM
*Boose*

Originally Posted by JRiELsFairladyZ
i havent been doin much research on turbo kits cuz im far from that point right now but wut is the most affordable kit right now?
Turbonetics. I've seen as low as 3k for a kit.
Old 06-21-2009, 02:25 AM
tony_t

Originally Posted by NoWin
Props to you for creating a custom kit. To be honest with you every turbo kit made is or at least at one point was a custom kit. HKS's GT3071's were in R&D at one point before mass production. They had to start somewhere. The only difference between you and HKS is that you are independent and HKS is an international mass production shop. But the kit you produce is a oneoff kit making it not the best it can be. When you mass produce something there's so much R&D that is put into the project that every counter part is perfect. HKS, JWT, Greddy/Trust, Top Secret all build or built the best TT kits simply because of the R&D and extract every hp possible. Hence why with all these kits you can simply push the limits of the stock block VQ on 8 psi. R&D development tell them where the limits are.
I fully understand what you are saying here. My manifolds may not be quite as nice and I dont have sweet polished aluminum IC pipes but as far as monetary consumption.. It was a fraction of the price and twice as gratifying to know that I created something that works fairly well. I think when I get this friggin BOV/MAF issue figured out, which I think haltech is my answer, it will put down some pretty darn good numbers.

When I built it I spent a great deal of time examining all the kits on the market. With the exception of my manifolds, the rest is pretty much a remake of a greddy kit. I will say i would love to have some nice cast manifolds. If I remember correctly the JWT700bb uses the gt28rs trubos but in a modified housing. I got both my turbos for $1500 brand new from my friend who ordered them for a gentleman that never paid for them. So we figured what the hell! lets try and make em fit.

I have a full build thread on another forum and thought about posting on here but I see far too many people with negative comments about peoples rides. I suppose I could've bought some high dollar kit but I love to build things. Its a lot of fun and very satisfying to do your own stuff.

heck I even tried a little painting here recently. I painted my lip and eyelids in my garage looks perrty damn good after i cut and buffed it
Name:  DSC01025mod.jpg
Views: 2239
Size:  48.9 KB
the license plate sucks but I got tired of getting pulled over for it
Old 06-21-2009, 02:26 AM
accordfreak

it doesn't really take much for R&D..it's not exactly rocket science

turbonetics was a mass produce kit and look at how many flaws are there. Also the greddy kits with all the cracked manifolds and 90 degree wastegate dump placement causing major turbulence in the exhaust flow robbing power. The dump is supposed to be 18" down from the turbo for minimal turbulence. etc etc

This guy here built a home made turbo kit using some generic ebay parts and he made more power than the turbonetics with lower boost. I'm not a fan of the generic parts but the point is, it can be done and done right.
http://g35driver.com/forums/forced-i...ite-up-12.html

you R&D your DIY turbo kit yourself as you go along.

Tony-T anymore pics of your kit? it's looking good!
Old 06-21-2009, 02:38 AM
tony_t

Originally Posted by accordfreak
it doesn't really take much for R&D..it's not exactly rocket science

turbonetics was a mass produce kit and look at how many flaws are there. Also the greddy kits with all the cracked manifolds and 90 degree wastegate dump placement causing major turbulence in the exhaust flow robbing power. The dump is supposed to be 18" down from the turbo for minimal turbulence. etc etc

This guy here built a home made turbo kit using some generic ebay parts and he made more power than the turbonetics with lower boost. I'm not a fan of the generic parts but the point is, it can be done and done right.
http://g35driver.com/forums/forced-i...ite-up-12.html

you R&D your DIY turbo kit yourself as you go along.

Tony-T anymore pics of your kit? it's looking good!
I have a grip of pics. I will post some more up after I get some sleep I would love to share some of the info I have come across during my build. Anything to help out fellow DIY'ers and anyone else for that matter.

My RFS I built is pretty cool I think. I converted the stock feed line into my return and ran a braided 6AN line from the basket to my rails. I had a hard time finding a way to convert the factory outlet on my basket over to a 6AN fitting and then I found this...
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/RUS-640850/

I believe that is the same one I used. I might have to pull the invoice out and double check.

And thanks for the compliment!!
Old 06-21-2009, 04:27 AM
Darkknight916

yea bro, nice set up Tony... lookin forward to more pics and maybe even a link to the build. BTW, what size exhaust pipes did you use for the exhaust manifold-stock is like a flattened 1-7/8" on a 1/4" flange. I'm also curious as to where you placed the wastegate dumps if you used the externals...

BUMP for tony and the dude that started this thread.
Old 06-21-2009, 04:29 AM
Quamen

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Building a custom kit...

OP- Building a custom kit is no easy task and it will cost you just as much as a kit that you can buy. Trust me, I am on my third custom FI kit. My first was a top mount single turbo, my second was a v-mount supercharger and my current one is a bottom mount single turbo.

None of them have cost me under $7K. The only reason I do it is because I am an engineer and I can afford to build a space ship or something worth while. So I choose to build my car. If it wasn't for the fun factor of the build for me, I would go buy a kit in an instance.

Anyways, here is a picture of my supercharger kit and a picture of my current kit as it stands (obviously still torn apart but expected to be done in about 3 weeks):

My suggestion to you is that if this is soley about money than you should buy a kit. It won't get any cheaper.

Quick Reply: How to build a custom Turbo kit