Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Pulled over for having turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008 | 05:07 PM
UnFairLady Z

Default Pulled over for having turbo?

Has anyone been pulled over for having TURBO on there car? If so what happened and what did you do after?
Old 05-06-2008 | 05:12 PM
coachk
Banned

Can someone post a picture of that idiot with the fake blower coming out his hood. I have a feeling thats what he did when he got pulled over for having TURBO on his Z.....For some reason that was really funny to me
Old 05-06-2008 | 05:36 PM
fklentz

I think you mean having a turbocharger on your car. In california you cannot be pulled over just because they think you have an illegal mod on your vehicle. If you're caught doing something illegal AND they suspect illegal modification were made they can require it be inspected by a referee station and if found illegally modified I think they void the vehicle registration until it is restored to factory conditions.

Drive safe don't street race, don't speed, stay away from gatherings of other modded street racers and try to avoid DUI check points, KEEP A LOW PROFILE.
Old 05-06-2008 | 05:40 PM
TreeFiddyZee
Do WHAAAAT!?
Premier Member

What makes mods "illegal" in CA? Is it due to emissions levels or something else?
Old 05-06-2008 | 05:54 PM
G3po

Default Kali

Any non-CARB approved modifiction (no CARB EO#) is illegal in Kali.
The bigget no-no is CAT removal and most Turbo builds remove the CATs.
Old 05-06-2008 | 06:20 PM
fklentz

Originally Posted by TreeFiddyZee
What makes mods "illegal" in CA? Is it due to emissions levels or something else?
CARB emissions standards. There a lot of mods that can be done. California is not the only state that follows CARB standards, others do also. A legal mod will have a E.O. nomber (Exemption Order) that makes it legal. Any vehicle over 27 years old can be modded providing it retains the original emissions equipment.

http://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/aftermk...es/amquery.php

Recently there have been some really nasty fatal accidents involving street racing and that I feel is the biggest impact against modded cars. My car has all the factory emissions equipment and it might throw a random misfire code every 5 or 6 thousand miles and I know that it can pass any emissions test, just not the visual as the JWT is still not CARB legal but I can still hope.
Old 05-06-2008 | 06:26 PM
merlin3

and that is why I will never live in cali. turbos do not cause street racing and do not cause more emissions. They should have no say in what you do to your car but oh well, doesn't affect me.
Old 05-06-2008 | 07:34 PM
usingthejohn

^^^
if turbos don't cause an increase in emissions, why do nearly all kits fail the emissions part of the test?

I think it's pretty lame to come down on modded cars. What about the big semis, or those beat-up hoopties that have pure black smoke coming out of the tailpipe?
Old 05-06-2008 | 07:58 PM
gothchick

What about all the motorcycles in Cali? I doubt many, if any of them have cats...
Old 05-06-2008 | 08:11 PM
iheartmyz

i know in pa, it's illegal to put ANYTHING on a car that isn't oem
Old 05-06-2008 | 09:07 PM
meatbag

Originally Posted by gothchick
What about all the motorcycles in Cali? I doubt many, if any of them have cats...
Most new bikes have cats. My 2004 R1 had one.
Old 05-06-2008 | 09:11 PM
CEO350Z
That's bad juju
Premier Member

i think the reason why turbo kits aren't CARB legal is that they fail the cold start test. the cats don't have enough time to warm up.

i remember i read somewhere that's the reason the JWT hasn't received the OK.
Old 05-06-2008 | 09:51 PM
AboostedG
Twin Spoolin
Premier Member

Originally Posted by coachk
Can someone post a picture of that idiot with the fake blower coming out his hood. I have a feeling thats what he did when he got pulled over for having TURBO on his Z.....For some reason that was really funny to me

https://my350z.com/forum/videos/316248-haha-yes-i-found-the-video-to-that-z.html
Old 05-06-2008 | 09:57 PM
anotheraznguy
Premier Member

i have greddy tt
got popped 30 minutes after i got it tuned at gtm in so-cal..

so now.. i have a state ref ticket. which means i will need to remove it all and do it all over again.. fun times...
Old 05-06-2008 | 11:37 PM
turismo

Originally Posted by coachk
lol at the fake blower
Old 05-07-2008 | 12:07 PM
weslutes

I got pulled over for speeding & the cop made me get out, he then searched me and the car & then made me pop my hood. He asked if I had a carb sticker for my intake, I told him that it was K&N & everyone has one. He asked about my exhaust, I told him stillen cat back is smog legal. He said tell that to the state certified smog referee. I still have the carb sticker for the Stillen supercharger but didn't want to get in too deep.
I had to take the turbos out, put the cats on, put the stock injectors in, &cross my fingers.
The smog ref didn't even know what to look for & said it was so new he never had checked one before.
The speeding + smog ticket was $500. I did the un-install & re-install
Old 05-07-2008 | 12:10 PM
dozzer1b

Originally Posted by anotheraznguy
i have greddy tt
got popped 30 minutes after i got it tuned at gtm in so-cal..

so now.. i have a state ref ticket. which means i will need to remove it all and do it all over again.. fun times...

Ouch.....CHP get u?
Old 05-07-2008 | 12:14 PM
iStan
ZR
Premier Member

Is it illegal to have a non Carb Car in Cali or to register a non Carb Car? ie, is my sc good to go because I live in Vegas when crusing through Cali?
Old 05-07-2008 | 12:26 PM
Hoooper

Originally Posted by CEO350Z
i think the reason why turbo kits aren't CARB legal is that they fail the cold start test.
there isnt a cold start test for smog, its only a cold start test if its cold when you get there. unless maybe youre talking about the process to get an E.O., which I dont know about. my car passed smog just fine and i didnt even have cats hooked up (test pipes still on). cats are overrated on new cars

edit: im not turbo though so take that with a grain of salt

Last edited by Hoooper; 05-07-2008 at 12:32 PM.
Old 05-07-2008 | 03:46 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Originally Posted by Hoooper
there isnt a cold start test for smog, its only a cold start test if its cold when you get there. unless maybe youre talking about the process to get an E.O., which I dont know about. my car passed smog just fine and i didnt even have cats hooked up (test pipes still on). cats are overrated on new cars

edit: im not turbo though so take that with a grain of salt
You are wrong as the cat convertors cant light up fast enough to control the emissions when cold.This does not mean when it is cold out......it means cold start emissions will be out of the threshold of what carb wants and so it is very hard for a aftermarket manufacterer to get carb approval.

Quick Reply: Pulled over for having turbo?