Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

The cost of boosting...

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2008, 08:26 AM
in.the.dark

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HoustnZ

ITD:
"Look if markets didn't change, then the 350Z making 300ish hp would be fine. Now you have coupes in the same price range making 400+ hp. The Z definitely has a weight advantage, but that won't make up for the stop light to stoplight stomping that will ensue if Nissan doesn't do something about it. It's about market pressures."

ITD said there are now coupes making 400+HP in the same price range of the Z. So my question is which car that is currently on the market for under $30,000 has 400+HP and can handle like the 350Z? So yes, we are also talking about the 350Z.
And the Vette entry level price (MSRP is $46K+). I have heard you can get them for less but But still, you cannot get a new Vette for under $30,000.
And Nissan has not announced the official price of the 370Z. IMO you will not be able to buy a new Vette for the same price as an entry level 370Z.
Likely my fault for poorly wording my point. Sorry for the confusion. The whole idea is that if the 350Z was permanently adequate, we wouldn't even be getting a 370Z. It's a question as to whether Nissan's next iteration of the Z will be a competent competitor or whether they are have put themselves into a corner with their current drivetrain offerings considering the upcoming market changes.

As for the Vette debate, in Houston a lot of dealers were recently doing $15K off 08 Base Vettes due to gas prices (I almost bought one myself). I'm not about to go into the whole dealer price debate, but you can definitely pick up a comparable Vette for the same price as the Nismo. A slightly used one will run you the price of a Touring or Grand Touring. We can stop the Vette comparison if you'd like.

The Z has been pretty lonely in it's class for a while, but there are some interesting coupes around the corner, just like the 370Z. In order to REMAIN a contender, Nissan will have to consider viable options to their problem of having maxed out their current offerings.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:45 AM
HoustnZ

Originally Posted by in.the.dark
Likely my fault for poorly wording my point. Sorry for the confusion. The whole idea is that if the 350Z was permanently adequate, we wouldn't even be getting a 370Z. It's a question as to whether Nissan's next iteration of the Z will be a competent competitor or whether they are have put themselves into a corner with their current drivetrain offerings considering the upcoming market changes.

As for the Vette debate, in Houston a lot of dealers were recently doing $15K off 08 Base Vettes due to gas prices (I almost bought one myself). I'm not about to go into the whole dealer price debate, but you can definitely pick up a comparable Vette for the same price as the Nismo. A slightly used one will run you the price of a Touring or Grand Touring. We can stop the Vette comparison if you'd like.

The Z has been pretty lonely in it's class for a while, but there are some interesting coupes around the corner, just like the 370Z. In order to REMAIN a contender, Nissan will have to consider viable options to their problem of having maxed out their current offerings.
No harm, no foul.
But I think we should wait until Nissan officially presents the 370Z to us with it's specs, performance, and price tag before we try to question if it.
And there really is no sense in trying to compare a Vette and a 350Z. You still cannot buy a new Vette for under $30,000. You can say that you can go find a slightly used vette for the price of a new Z but then I guess I can say that I would just go buy a slightly used Z for even less. Pretty much a mute discussion.

Last edited by HoustnZ; 08-19-2008 at 08:48 AM.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:06 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

I'm sorry, but coming from a moderator, I don't understand this post. Are we getting out of line?
It usually means we are watching, or has been brought to our attention. Hence, how I found this thread. At this point, we look for infractions of the TOU and either hand out warnings, lock thread, or drop the ban hammer.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:13 AM
in.the.dark

Originally Posted by vo7848
It usually means we are watching, or has been brought to our attention. Hence, how I found this thread. At this point, we look for infractions of the TOU and either hand out warnings, lock thread, or drop the ban hammer.
Thanks. I appreciate the clarification.
Old 08-19-2008, 09:25 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Thanks. I appreciate the clarification.
No prob guy...
Old 08-19-2008, 09:58 AM
Shadrackc

I think that anyone who forgets that Nissan is run as a business is losing a lot of insight in their direction.
They have spent a ton on R and D developing and shocking the world with the GT-R. When it comes to Nissan having a product that kicks everyones butt, they have one.
The 370 is a change much like the changes that Mustangs go through every year. Or Corvettes, Challengers, Chargers, etc. What has to suck is that anytime you buy one of those cars, you know that the next year there is a better cheaper version coming out.
I love the fact that Nissan changes at a much slower pace. 03-06 for the VQ-DE, 07+ for the HR, and now the 370.
I personally think my 07 looks much better than the shots I have seen of the 370. Most people I know agree, so it isn't just my bias.
I have done some minor things such as the mods you see in my sig that have given me a bit of a boost. I don't drive on the track (don't think a high percentage of owners do) so for my daily driving, and occasional full throttle jaunts, I have more than ample HP.
Not to say that a TT add on wouldn't be attractive. Priced right, bolt on, and not requiring me to rebuild the whole drive train to take the power, I'd be interested. If a TT was just the start of the domino trail then I would stay back because it would be a bragging item for me more than a necessary item. I like my car being in mint shape. I like the fact that I get so many looks on cruise night, and that I see one vette a block in this city.
As for competing with Mustangs.....are you serious? Most people know that light to light, a Mustang with a few mods is pretty hard to beat. That live axle of theirs though hurts them in handling, plus I see about one mustang every five cars. They are boxy cars in my eyes and I have owned a couple of 5 litres in my younger days.
I bought the 350 for looks first, handling/power second. A year later I have no regrets.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:44 AM
FRLDYZPIMPN

If bmw can put out 335 with tt for $45k, im sure nissan can tt the z for $40k. Which would seem justified. I doubt they will ever do it. But we'll see.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:54 AM
xNeo

Originally Posted by FRLDYZPIMPN
If bmw can put out 335 with tt for $45k, im sure nissan can tt the z for $40k. Which would seem justified. I doubt they will ever do it. But we'll see.
Not to be a skeptic, but I don't know about that. I was looking at the new Maxima's when I was getting my oil changed the other day and they wanted $35,000 and the car didn't even have leather. WTF? Now imagine a Twin Turbo 370z, would put it in the $45k Range. I know its two different classes, but I don't think Nissan will do it.
Old 08-19-2008, 05:02 PM
zsport1

Originally Posted by xNeo
Not to be a skeptic, but I don't know about that. I was looking at the new Maxima's when I was getting my oil changed the other day and they wanted $35,000 and the car didn't even have leather. WTF? Now imagine a Twin Turbo 370z, would put it in the $45k Range. I know its two different classes, but I don't think Nissan will do it.

It's hard to say exactly what the MSRP would be for a TT 370Z but IMO Nissan is doing the right thing.