Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Ati procharger custom setup Not boosting. Any advice.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 12:40 PM
StandardIdiot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ati procharger custom setup Not boosting. Any advice.

I have a custom setup ati prochager on my car. I will explain in details the setup i have, then I will put down what problem i have been having when i have taken the car to race mrc for dyno tuning,and then what Me and the guys at MRC tried and checked to repair the problem and I hope i might get some input that can help me with this strange situation.

I have a 03 350z Vq35de.
My setup consists of
Ati Procharger w/ 9lbs pulley setup.
Larger bar and plate inter cooler(not from the kit)
Turbo XS RFL bov tig welded to inter cooler piping.
The piping is the same from the kit just modified to fit.
AAm fuel return system with Fuel pres Regulator
Turbo xs Utec w/ Map Sensor
AAM 5/16 plenum spacer/ Isothermal
Rc550cc injectors
Ams Radiator
External oil cooler
Turbo xs exhaust w/ test pipes
Innovate wide band o2 and Other Gauges

I brought the car to Race Mrc to get dyno tuned about 2 weeks ago after I installed everything. We ran the car on the dyno and was only making 2lbs of boost. We found that the original Sard BOV that I bought and installed was leaking and not holding boost. So I went home, ordered the turboxs rfl and installed it on the inter cooler piping near the Inter cooler.

So today I go back excited to go tune my car and we run the car. 1st run we only get 3.8lbs of boost up at red line. According to the txs tuner and the Dyno Machine.

So we start searching for problems. These are the things that we checked and verified.
Inter cooler piping- Checked at home with soap and water at every coupler and no leak at idle or under partial throttle with no load.
BOV is holding boost and only opening when throttle is let off.
Checked all pulleys and marked them to see if they were slipping and then boosted the car and found no slipping of pulleys on there shafts.
Cog belts were not slipping.
Tightened up v belt that feds the pulley for the procharger and no slippage.
Checked ati unit itself and fluid is fine(no particles) and makes no unusual noises.
Checked all vacuum lines for leaks with pressure tester, no leaks found.

I called up ati and spoke to a tech and described all problems and told him what amount of boost I was getting at each rpm. He told me it sounds like it can only be either belt slipping, or air leak.
So we went ahead and made belt tighter and no success, Belts are not an issue.
I'm going to to due a pressure test on all my piping this week and see if I have a leak.

If anyone has any input of has seen this before , it would be very much appreciated. I will also post up the dyno sheet so you guys can see my boost levels.

Thanks.

Old 08-25-2008, 01:05 PM
350Z400rwhp

Here is a DIY I made on how to make a pressure test kit. https://my350z.com/forum/engine-driv...-test-kit.html
Hope that helps. Also, I had a low boost issue and it turned out to be belt slipping. try reving your motor to about 2000 rpm (while in neutral) then punch the throttle real quick and see it you can hear belt slip. Another thing you can do is spray some belt conditioner and see if it changes the boost level. I would spray it on the belt while its running then turn it off let it sit for a few min then try to do a dyno run. If your boost increases you have a belt slip issue, if there is no change at all you have a boost leak, if neither you have a bad supercharger.
Old 08-25-2008, 01:07 PM
terps

plenum spacer?- there hard to get to seal right since if u over torque the nuts you will strip them. with the car at idle, put your palm over the 6 bolts in the center and see if you get suction.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:01 PM
StandardIdiot

Originally Posted by 350Z400rwhp
Here is a DIY I made on how to make a pressure test kit. https://my350z.com/forum/engine-driv...-test-kit.html
Hope that helps. Also, I had a low boost issue and it turned out to be belt slipping. try reving your motor to about 2000 rpm (while in neutral) then punch the throttle real quick and see it you can hear belt slip. Another thing you can do is spray some belt conditioner and see if it changes the boost level. I would spray it on the belt while its running then turn it off let it sit for a few min then try to do a dyno run. If your boost increases you have a belt slip issue, if there is no change at all you have a boost leak, if neither you have a bad supercharger.
Yea im going to do that same exact pressure test this weekend to see if i can rule out any boost leaks. we ruled out belt slippage but it dosent hurt to try again. I called ati and they told me i would know that the supercharger is bad if it made noises(very noticable ones ) or if there were particles in the fluid itself. The only thng i notice is that the boost curve is so linear and constant with no hickups at all. this leads me to belive that i have a constant boost leak issue.

thanks for the info
Old 08-25-2008, 03:03 PM
StandardIdiot

Originally Posted by terps
plenum spacer?- there hard to get to seal right since if u over torque the nuts you will strip them. with the car at idle, put your palm over the 6 bolts in the center and see if you get suction.

Yea i forgot to mention that we went around the whole plenum and the 6 bolts and sprayed carb cleaner to see if rpm would change and the idle stayed constant without raising or lowering. We also did this around the whole plenum and vacuum line t's.
Old 08-25-2008, 03:53 PM
Jay'Z
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the cog pulley on the actual procharger.. If the keyway has sheared off that explains why your not getting but 4psi..

Also, the way you check that cog pulley is you would have to take the belt off and turn the cog on the sc... You should be able to feel if the keyway is sheared.. I would pull that pulley off just to check the keyway anyways..

The only other thing would be check your impeller and make sure its bolted tight... Also make sure there isnt any bad bends on the blade..

Im thinking that sc cog because.. You would get some boost, just not full boost because the keyway is stripping slowly and grinding out more and more everytime you make a pull..

Last edited by Jay'Z; 08-25-2008 at 03:58 PM.
Old 08-25-2008, 04:08 PM
StandardIdiot

Originally Posted by Jay'Z
Check the cog pulley on the actual procharger.. If the keyway has sheared off that explains why your not getting but 4psi..

Also, the way you check that cog pulley is you would have to take the belt off and turn the cog on the sc... You should be able to feel if the keyway is sheared.. I would pull that pulley off just to check the keyway anyways..

The only other thing would be check your impeller and make sure its bolted tight... Also make sure there isnt any bad bends on the blade..

Im thinking that sc cog because.. You would get some boost, just not full boost because the keyway is stripping slowly and grinding out more and more everytime you make a pull..
What we did to check if the cog pulleys were stripping was we made marks on the bolt heads and the pulleys in the same locations and then did a few pulls and checked to see if the cog belts were spinning separately from there own shafts. We didn't see any movement but i am going to inspect them anyway. I also checked the blade and there was an almost microscopic dent on one of the blades but that wouldn't do it, But i didn't check if the impeller was tight. Does the impeller also have a key way to keep it from spinning separately?
Old 08-25-2008, 04:11 PM
Jay'Z
Banned

The impeller should be checked with your hand.. There is an allen key bolt holding that impeller blade in.. There is a spacer behind the allen key bolt.. Make sure that spacer has no play in it...

Please pull the cog off if you have time and check your keyway.. Im almost 1 billion percent sure thats it....
Old 08-25-2008, 04:13 PM
StandardIdiot

I'm going to check it first thing tomorrow when i get home from work. Thanks for the info!
Old 08-25-2008, 04:14 PM
Jay'Z
Banned

If you check that and its good then well go from there.. But that has to be it...
Old 08-25-2008, 04:17 PM
SC 350Z

there is no key way it slides on to the shaft and is secured with a bolt its not hard to taek the head unit out i would do so and tear it down its fairly easy to do, im pretty sure the head unit itself is the problem
Old 08-25-2008, 04:20 PM
Jay'Z
Banned

Originally Posted by SC 350Z
there is no key way it slides on to the shaft and is secured with a bolt its not hard to taek the head unit out i would do so and tear it down its fairly easy to do, im pretty sure the head unit itself is the problem

Bro, there is a keyway on that pulley... Would you like me to show you pics now?
Old 08-25-2008, 04:41 PM
pmohr

Originally Posted by StandardIdiot
AAM 5/16 plenum spacer/ Isothermal
That would be a MD spacer, not AAM
Old 08-25-2008, 05:15 PM
StandardIdiot

Yes it is fairly easy to remove the head unit so i will take it out tomorrow and check the cog pulley and i will take the turbine housing and impeller off and check those as well and re tighten just to make sure. I will post pictures of it after I do it.

Yea that was a typo, it was a Motor dyne spacer.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:46 PM
SC 350Z

Bro, there is a keyway on that pulley... Would you like me to show you pics now?
i know there is on the pulley i was meaning the impeller shaft, im pretty sure there was one on the imperller shaft,if there is mybad! but on all the pulley shafts i think there were key ways
Old 08-25-2008, 05:51 PM
Jay'Z
Banned

Originally Posted by SC 350Z
i know there is on the pulley i was meaning the impeller shaft, im pretty sure there was one on the imperller shaft,if there is mybad! but on all the pulley shafts i think there were key ways
Ok, your talking the impeller blade?? Yes, that doesnt have a keyway..
Old 08-25-2008, 06:07 PM
SC 350Z

Ok, your talking the impeller blade?? Yes, that doesnt have a keyway..
lol yep i was like wait a sec i was sitting sayin in my head dam it i know when i took mine apart there wasnt one on there!!!! he does sound lik its blt slipping and its hard to hear a belt slip with that loud *** blower on there but it sounds so good
Old 08-26-2008, 02:44 PM
StandardIdiot

So I went ahead and tried to find the problem with my car today.

Firstthing I did was the homemade pressure test. I put in 20lbs and it worked great, no leaks in any of the Inter cooler piping, Couplers, Bov etc. So I ruled out a boost leak which only pointed to the blower pretty much.
As i removed the intake coupler I immediately saw what my problem was.

This was no doubt the problem. Yea I couldn't believe it to. I guess even tho i cleaned all pipes and inter cooler with shop air, I somehow got some debris in there. Luckily the impeller didn't shear apart and send shrapnel into my motor.

So right away i called ATI up and gave them my info, and I took a walk to UPS down the street and the blower is on its way to ATI in Kansas and there gonna replace the impeller and all new bearings.
Old 08-26-2008, 03:19 PM
Jay'Z
Banned

I knew it was the impeller or the shaft input.... Damn im good.. Hope your not going to be paying out the *** in repairs..

What are you running in place of the procharger?? Did you throw on the stock intake?
Old 08-26-2008, 04:35 PM
StandardIdiot

The car is down for about 2 or 3 weeks, I was thinking of just pluging the the intercooler piping and putting the K&N filter on the end of the maf but i will prob running rich , but i could switch my Utec to base map.