Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

procharger hp gain

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2003, 10:02 PM
KhanMan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh cool thank you how much gaing does the procharger give, and how much does the pop charger give?
Old 08-04-2003, 04:05 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Like I said above, the Procharger has shown up to 370 Rear Wheel HP in at least one car (240 is roughly the stock RWHP).

A POP charger is COMPLETELY different. Not even in the same class! You'd be lucky to get a 5 HP gain.
Old 08-04-2003, 06:30 AM
ericn

Originally posted by little_rod
Like I said earlier, you get that 0.5 sec kick with the SC cause it is on constantly, then after that, the turbo will rule cause it will put out more boost at lower rpms.

One thing that interests me is that a jerk (kick) is usually not good for mechanical parts. Smooth is always better. What that would mean to me is unknown for an SC. Alot of people just like to stomp on the pedal immediately, but I am usually gentlier on my baby. Seems like the turbo would be gentlier, although it would come on real strong when it comes on.
A TC is definitely NOT more gentle. Turbos, because they use exhaust gasses to spin the turbine generally make the car run hotter. Also, because they lag then kick in strong, they are more likely to cause detonation than a SC in the event of a lean condition.

IMO, SCs are more reliable as well.

E
Old 08-04-2003, 06:44 AM
DdOnGJjAnG

I need twin turbo or supercharger...I have the money just dont know where to buy them...anyone know where to buy these products? thanks...
Old 08-04-2003, 09:10 AM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Superchargersonline.com

Here is their direct link to the ATI Procharger for the 350Z

ATI Procharger

Also, check out the vendors on this site. Several are selling this kit.
Old 08-04-2003, 09:24 AM
350zdanny

"IMO, SCs are more reliable as well."

Just wanted to make sure everyone knows that is just an opinion. The correct setup, whether it be turbo or supercharger, will be very reliable.

And can't a supercharger attain max boost before redline? I was never sure about that.

Dan
Old 08-04-2003, 09:35 AM
little_rod

Yeah, SCs are easier to install, so in turn, some say it is more reliable cause it is harder to mess up on the install end. Turbos are harder to install, but if installed correctly, are the same, IMO.

From what I have read, the SC can only get max boost at redline cause it is linear from the crank. Don't see how it could be at max boost earlier, cause with the linear curve, the power would always be higher at the redline. I could be wrong, although this makes sense to me.

Last edited by little_rod; 08-04-2003 at 09:38 AM.
Old 08-04-2003, 11:39 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

unless you have a leak somewhere in the piping, SCs will typically get more and more boost until you hit your fuel/rpm limiter since its all RPM dependent.

SC have alot more "moving" parts. From past experiences, if you blow a belt, you're pretty much dead in the water and you'll have to limp it home before your battery drains completely... oil is another concern.. but since the ATI's got that cool internal oil cavity, so i really dont see any oil problems there as i saw from my Vortech unit...

Turbos, imho, are the same level of difficulty to install because of all the piping.. Turbos are driven off exhaust gasses so leaks are a main concern (as well as heat). i've heard praise and horror stories of turbos, so i can probably expect the Murphy-ness for both systems to be there....

SC's i've seen are typically better at road track races than a turbo car, only because i can for see the power increase be more gradual and easier to maintain controll than taking a corner and boost all of a sudden coming in from twin turbos.... but also depends on the type of turbos used...
Old 08-04-2003, 12:27 PM
KhanMan

do you need to get a new hood with the sc?
Old 08-04-2003, 01:01 PM
Z4KR

Originally posted by KhanMan
do you need to get a new hood with the sc?
Only if you're getting the Stillen set up.
Old 08-04-2003, 08:44 PM
Buub

Oh cool thank you how much gaing does the procharger give, and how much does the pop charger give?
The Forum Search button is your friend...
Old 08-10-2003, 05:48 PM
toykilla

sorry, didnt mean to pick on the newBs but comon!! i have to get out a translator to understand some of these posts..

SO then its not possible to have to pop chargers
Old 08-10-2003, 06:39 PM
12SecZ

for SC you get **Max** boost near redline, power is linerally gained.
How did I get dragged into this thread?

SC'ers availlbe now and up and running averaging 370HP like Bonz said TT's well, is anyone even running one yet that can post numbers?

Other than that allot of misinformation in this thread. My experirence has shown that Superchargers run cooler than Turbos thus they last longer and install is cheaper.

There is two 3 plusses for ATI.
1. Available now
2. Proven installs with Dyno's
3. Cheaper and cooler

Wiat that's 4.
Old 08-10-2003, 07:16 PM
elektrik_juggernaut

How many aftermarket Turbos come with a three year warranty?.....that will tell you what's more reliable
Old 08-10-2003, 08:26 PM
little_rod

Originally posted by MaxHax
How did I get dragged into this thread?

SC'ers availlbe now and up and running averaging 370HP like Bonz said TT's well, is anyone even running one yet that can post numbers?

Other than that allot of misinformation in this thread. My experirence has shown that Superchargers run cooler than Turbos thus they last longer and install is cheaper.

There is two 3 plusses for ATI.
1. Available now
2. Proven installs with Dyno's
3. Cheaper and cooler

Wiat that's 4.

LOL, he wasn't talking to you, and you know that. I guess when you want to say "max" boost, we need to apply for permission from you, Max.

Don't think we want to get into the turbo vs. SC debate, lol. It could go on for forever. Both have there advantages and disadvantages. I am neutral, cause I have neither and have made my mind up on neither. Heck, I might end up with neither one.

Now, I have patience and won't be buying FI for a while, so SCs being available now means nothing to me cause all installs and dynos will eventually be out for all of these systems.

Only three things interest me: reliability, power, cost. If properly done, reliability will be similar. Power, well turbos have it there. Cost, SCs have it there. So you see why I am still undecided, all depends on what you want.

Last edited by little_rod; 08-10-2003 at 08:30 PM.
Old 08-10-2003, 08:44 PM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

has anyone pulled the intake temp from the supercharger?

i did a non-scientific test today when driving my TT'd Z... i was getting ~100 degrees F constantly while driving hard... (125-130 while idling in the sun.. it was around 90 degrees ambient temp with some slight humidity...)

the average intake temperature along with proper setup will determine reliability.. three years of warranty doesnt mean much if you have to use it all the time to fix something...
Old 08-10-2003, 10:06 PM
Sanderman

Originally posted by Chebosto
has anyone pulled the intake temp from the supercharger?

i did a non-scientific test today when driving my TT'd Z... i was getting ~100 degrees F constantly while driving hard... (125-130 while idling in the sun.. it was around 90 degrees ambient temp with some slight humidity...)

the average intake temperature along with proper setup will determine reliability.. three years of warranty doesnt mean much if you have to use it all the time to fix something...
Not very scientific, but I pounded the car for about an hour and a half today - 85 degrees, 85 - 90% humidity. I popped the hood when i got home and thought I'd see how hot the supercharger (Procharger) was. Surprisingly, I could touch the supercharger housing itself and not get burned. Not like I could keep my hand there long, but holding it there for a second was no big deal. Of course air going into the engine from this thing gets cooled by the intercooler first, but even with that I was a little surprised it didnt generate a bit more heat given the way I had been driving it. I dare you to do that with a turbo

joe
Old 08-10-2003, 11:23 PM
elektrik_juggernaut

Originally posted by Chebosto
.. three years of warranty doesnt mean much if you have to use it all the time to fix something...
Well, when you're talking about $2K for a S/C head unit, and $1K for an intercooler, 3 years of warranty means everything........what kind of warranty does your turbo come with?
Old 08-11-2003, 08:39 AM
WashUJon

Um...

I think a warranty means a LOT if I have to use it all the time to fix something! lol That means I'm getting the USE out of the warranty and I'm getting what I paid for. Warranty vs. no warranty is a no-brainer...

Old 08-11-2003, 08:47 AM
Chebosto
350Z-holic
Premier Member

... it means something if its breaking so often you have to USE the warranty..

Quick Reply: procharger hp gain