Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Powerlabs kit and screeching noise from pipping

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2008, 01:51 PM
IntenseFab
Sponsor
Intense Motorsports

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

We just like to let everyone know that we are currently looking into this issue with the Powerlab GT35R Kits. We, as well as Powerlab, are trying to find a solution to this "screeching" noise. What we are asking of people whom are experiencing this issue is to please contact the Powerlab dealer that did the install, and for those of you who did a DIY install, please contact the dealer you purchased your kit from. We will be in contact with Powerlab as well as the other authorized Powerlab dealers, and try to figure out a solution.

We can say, so far there has been no indication that this screeching noise is hurting the performance of the turbo kit, or the engine. No one has reported any mechanical issues do to this noise. From what we have been told, it is more of an "annoyance" problem. Regardless, it is a problem we want to fix, and help prevent in the future.

Please feel free to PM any of the Intense users, or any other Powerlab dealers who are vendors on this website. We thank you for your patience and understanding.
Old 11-16-2008, 02:22 PM
z2envy

Originally Posted by Speqz
argh...iono i just hate people asking me what that noise is.....iflyjets and z2envy what kind of exhaust setups do you guys have?
Using the Greddy TiC 70mm Dual. I have a reverse Y pipe made for it.
Old 11-16-2008, 03:39 PM
txshldm
B8BB8B88

sorry to go OT but i didnt want to start a new thread. Does anyone know how good the base map for the kit is? My kit should be in this week and the install will start. I have heard 2 stories, "dont get into boost" and "that it is more than good enough to drive on". This will only be for 1-2 weeks until i can get into my tuner. Just want to know if the base map will be ok to drive on and not worry about hurting anything.

thanks keith
Old 11-16-2008, 04:53 PM
jeffie7

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by txshldm
sorry to go OT but i didnt want to start a new thread. Does anyone know how good the base map for the kit is? My kit should be in this week and the install will start. I have heard 2 stories, "dont get into boost" and "that it is more than good enough to drive on". This will only be for 1-2 weeks until i can get into my tuner. Just want to know if the base map will be ok to drive on and not worry about hurting anything.

thanks keith
There is no base map that I know of that comes with the kit, you can go to turboxs's website I believe its www.turboxs.com and download one of thier 550cc injector maps, this will get you up and running but no matter how good a base map is, DO NOT enter much boost unless that base map has been tuned with YOUR car. not even another car with somewhat close mods...
Old 11-16-2008, 04:55 PM
txshldm
B8BB8B88

thanks.. i just didnt want to get on the dyno and have a leak somewhere or something not hooked up right. So i wanted to drive it a little first.
Old 11-16-2008, 05:15 PM
iflyjets86

i run the tanabe hyper medallion
Old 11-17-2008, 06:04 AM
Speqz

I have a HKS with a modified reversed y pipe...I guess we shall leave it to intense for now to try and figure out what the noise is...there isnt any physical problems from the noise it is more of an annoyance for me.

Last edited by Speqz; 11-17-2008 at 06:13 AM.
Old 11-18-2008, 04:00 PM
Speqz

I have a question for PL and PL owners...has any one gotten any check engine lights with their cars?
Old 11-18-2008, 04:16 PM
z2envy

I had 1 check engine light due to my Evap. I had to tighten the hose but that has nothing to do with the turbo.
Old 11-19-2008, 06:03 AM
Speqz

weird...i have a couple of codes right now. p1148, p1168, p0037, p0057, p1031, and p1051. All of these codes are related to heater circuit and the air fuel metering device that is in the exhaut manifolds. I replaced the sensors here but I am still getting the codes.

Now, does the UTEC pull any values from the stock ECU or stock air fuel meters in the car?
Old 11-19-2008, 01:15 PM
iflyjets86

i'm an 03 and had the light on since i left PF, no biggie. pretty sure its just an engine misfire code. car runs good
Old 11-20-2008, 10:00 AM
UMW350Z

I lifted my car last night and had a chace to look at the WG while a friend revved the car. No leaks from the wastegate...nothing escaping into the atmosphere at that point...no smell, and did not blow the peice of paper i held up to it.

Maybe air blowing over the gap or some kind of internal vortex at that point causing noise?

Is EVERYONE with this kit experiencing the noise?
Old 11-20-2008, 05:48 PM
Speqz

i checked my car a couple of times as well and could not determine any leaks anywhere in the pipping... internal vortex intresting choice of words. Some kind of rasp maybe?
Old 04-16-2009, 05:37 PM
tiguy99

Guys have there been any updates to fix the noise issue?
Old 04-16-2009, 06:40 PM
INTENSEPOWER
Vendor - Former Vendor

^^ I see that you're posting in the great majority of PowerLab turbo kit threads?

Darren
Old 04-16-2009, 07:30 PM
gotagetmyZ

Definitely let us know if anyone finds out what causes that noise. I'll be installing a Powerlab kit soon. Hopefully, this noise doesn't arise.
Old 04-16-2009, 10:29 PM
tiguy99

Originally Posted by INTENSEPOWER
^^ I see that you're posting in the great majority of PowerLab turbo kit threads?

Darren
Yup! Trying to learn as much as I can about the kit. I like this option also and after reading about everyone's experience this far, feel that it may suit my needs.

I'm curious about the sound issue and want to see how it can be resolved. Otherwise I think it's a pretty solid choice.

Darren, what's the best time to call the shop of I have any additional questions?

Last edited by tiguy99; 04-16-2009 at 10:32 PM.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:29 AM
txshldm
B8BB8B88

For the first month or two I didnt hear the screaching noise, now after about 5,000 miles I can hear it. No big deal. It is just a noise, doesnt affect me.
Old 04-17-2009, 10:44 AM
INTENSEPOWER
Vendor - Former Vendor

Originally Posted by tiguy99
Yup! Trying to learn as much as I can about the kit. I like this option also and after reading about everyone's experience this far, feel that it may suit my needs.

I'm curious about the sound issue and want to see how it can be resolved. Otherwise I think it's a pretty solid choice.

Darren, what's the best time to call the shop of I have any additional questions?
That's cool, I figured as much actually.

Regarding this "screeching noise" we, here at Intense, have never had a build that resulted in this mysterious noise. Not taking away from the couple of people who had their kits installed elsewhere and experienced this. However, since this thread was created, we haven't seen another similar thread, nor received any type of communication (phone, pm, email, etc) from anyone else describing these symptoms. In the end, it's strange, to say the least -- and has proven to be temporary, isolated to only 2-3 kits (I believe that 2 of them were installed by companies that actually went under too) and hasn't been harmful to the health of the motor.

Our hours: M-F 9-1230; 130-6 PST

Hope this helps. Thanks!

Darren
Old 04-17-2009, 11:00 AM
Jeremy@Altered
Banned

Was in an APS single turbo car tuning it the other day and it makes the EXACT same noise....

Quick Reply: Powerlabs kit and screeching noise from pipping