Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

japtrix (and other orlando tuners)

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2008, 08:44 PM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
I'd rather tune on a load based dyno like the Mustang than the Dynojet like Titan has.
thats not good logic...its like having a bad cook with a 2000 dollar knife...

many of the best tuners have used dynojets for years and they are still industry standard... sure dds have some extra features hat help the tunning, but in the end its all in the quality of the tuner itself
Old 11-23-2008, 09:13 PM
JETPILOT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IIQuickSilverII
thats not good logic...its like having a bad cook with a 2000 dollar knife...

many of the best tuners have used dynojets for years and they are still industry standard... sure dds have some extra features hat help the tunning, but in the end its all in the quality of the tuner itself
Did you notice the "I'd" part? Load based dyno always = less street tuning for EVEYONE.

Let's be honest. Most tuners do VERY LITTLE road tuning if at all. I don't care what any of the tuners have to say. I've always had to tweek every tune I have ever gotten.

The tune I got on a dynojet isn't going to work for me at Sebring road racing.

Last edited by JETPILOT; 11-23-2008 at 09:16 PM.
Old 11-23-2008, 10:24 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

Did you notice the "I'd" part? Load based dyno always = less street tuning for EVEYONE.

Let's be honest. Most tuners do VERY LITTLE road tuning if at all. I don't care what any of the tuners have to say. I've always had to tweek every tune I have ever gotten.

The tune I got on a dynojet isn't going to work for me at Sebring road racing.

Roger certainly performs road tuning. He's done it for me. But it isn't free. Time costs money.
Old 11-23-2008, 11:45 PM
JETPILOT

Originally Posted by ttg35fort
Roger certainly performs road tuning. He's done it for me. But it isn't free. Time costs money.
If someone quotes you a flat price for a tune that includes road tuning in my book.

Old 11-24-2008, 12:02 AM
ttg35fort
Professional

If someone quotes you a flat price for a tune that includes road tuning in my book.
If that is what you want, then you need to make it clear when you request the quote. If you request it up front, and they quote a price accordingly, then you absolutely should get it. But, as with any business transaction, both parties to the transaction need to know what service is being requested and what service is to be provided. That way, everything is clear.

I think for most tuner's a road tune is an optional service. You and I both agree that it is a very important option, but nonetheless it is an option that the customer must request and be willing to pay for.

I may be wrong about this, but it seems to me that most people taking their cars in for a tune are only concerned about getting the most hp they can get out of their car, and the tuning industry has evolved to service such people. The tuners will certainly service people like you and I, but you can't schedule 1 hour of dyno time and expect that the road tune is automatically included, unless the tuner specifically says it is. Road tunes take time, and if every tuner included them for free, they would all be going out of business. Then where would we be?

Again, it's very simple. Know what you want for your tune and ask for it up front. You can even ask for it after the dyno tune is complete, but don't be surprised when you find out there will be added fees.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:07 AM
ttg35fort
Professional

Maybe it would be helpful if tuners gave their customers a price list:

1. Dyno tuning - $xxx/hour
2. Road tuning - $xxx/hour
etc.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:34 AM
ttg35fort
Professional

Jetpilot,

I don't know if you fly commercial airlines, but it made me think of an analogy.

On a commercial airline, if your bag weighs over 50 lbs., there is an added fee.

If you have more than two bags to check, there is an added fee.

If you want to carry your Yorkshire Terrier on board (even though it will take up no additional room since you are required to place it down where your feet are), there is an added fee.

Want a hot meal or a cocktail, added fee (unless you are in first class and paid a very high price to be there).

To me, these examples are far more egregius than a tuner charging for his time to do a road tune.

I certainly mean no offense here. I am just trying to put things in perspective. As is very evident by reading this and other forums, it is very hard for tuners to generate enough revenue to stay in business. Those that stay in business do so by treating their customers right and by charging for the services they provide. They cannot provide services that are not paid for. Moreover, they cannot assume that every customer wants to pay for "A" level tuning. If they quote "A" level tuning everytime, those who only want a "max hp" tune will be turned away and go elsewhere. The key is for the customer is to know what they want, and let the tuner know that before proceeding.

Last edited by ttg35fort; 11-24-2008 at 01:13 AM.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:20 AM
Dynasty.Zero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm I should look into extra road tuning with my tuner.

He did a bit last time I was there but not an extensive amount. Then again he spent a long time on my car when I wasn't there so many he did more than I knew.

But seems like there is nothing to lose other than a few hundred bucks, what is that compared to the money we already blew.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:51 AM
JETPILOT

I really have no idea where you are going with your posts. When you go to a tuner they say $600 to tune your car. That means I expect it to run on the road. That's where I drive it. I don't care how it runs on the dyno.

A dyno is a way to measure power and to get a tune pretty close. It also allows you not to use public roads where you can kill someone or get a ticket. A dyno can get you pretty close but it certainly doesn't complete the job.

Old 11-24-2008, 04:47 AM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

JEt,

Road Tuning is your car is a scary proposition!!! MY life flashed before my eyes several times. lol I'm glad I was starring at the laptop!!!! Hopefully, there will be a 2000+ HP capable dyno right across the street from my shop in the coming months. I don't know which dyno this guy is getting though.
Old 11-24-2008, 11:44 AM
JETPILOT

Ahhhhhh.... screw the dyno. Street tuning isn't that scary. You didn't seem nervous in the least. Was that a pee spot I noticed on the pax seat? I thought it was water leaking from my bottle.... Ewwwwwwww! I need another pax seat now!

Old 11-24-2008, 12:09 PM
lgear080

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe there should be flat rate tuning also. another reason i have avoided a utec
in my NA car. on top of the cels and other issues associated w install, I am concerned
about real costs too tune. Don;t know if I will ever go FI... ho hum.
Old 11-24-2008, 01:26 PM
IslandZavage

Originally Posted by lgear080
I believe there should be flat rate tuning also. another reason i have avoided a utec
in my NA car. on top of the cels and other issues associated w install, I am concerned
about real costs too tune. Don;t know if I will ever go FI... ho hum.
No check light here at ALL!!!!
Old 11-24-2008, 04:22 PM
Ztouring04

hey guys well i emailed japtrix and i got a return email not even 20 hours later, John(i dont know who he is) send me an email right away.....it will cost about 500 for the utec install and tune for my NA mods. I think i might give them a shot and head over there....Unless there is anyone that thinks i shouldnt...PLEASE SPEAK UP...lol Thanks guys

Joe
Old 11-24-2008, 05:18 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

I wholeheartedly recommend them! I spent much of today hanging out with Roger while we made some wiring changes for some my systems I am now bringing on line. Even though they are closed on Monday, Roger opened up the shop so that we can get it finished and hopefully be back on the dyno on Wednesday. John and Jack were there too. All great guys. John has made a great addition to their team. He is really on top of things and knows his shiat. He has been very, very responsive. At the end of the day, Roger drove me home (since he is still finishing up my latest round of mods). All in all, working with Japtrix has been a wonderful experience.

For $500, I'm not sure whether that includes only a dyno tune, or also a road tune. If you also want a road tune, you may want to inquire about that.

Originally Posted by Ztouring04
hey guys well i emailed japtrix and i got a return email not even 20 hours later, John(i dont know who he is) send me an email right away.....it will cost about 500 for the utec install and tune for my NA mods. I think i might give them a shot and head over there....Unless there is anyone that thinks i shouldnt...PLEASE SPEAK UP...lol Thanks guys

Joe
Old 11-24-2008, 05:29 PM
Ztouring04

Thank you for the response........i appreciate the feedback
Old 11-24-2008, 05:40 PM
ttg35fort
Professional

I really have no idea where you are going with your posts. When you go to a tuner they say $600 to tune your car. That means I expect it to run on the road. That's where I drive it. I don't care how it runs on the dyno.

A dyno is a way to measure power and to get a tune pretty close. It also allows you not to use public roads where you can kill someone or get a ticket. A dyno can get you pretty close but it certainly doesn't complete the job.

All I am saying is that if a road tune is part of your expectations, it is very important, and a very simple process, to let your tuner know that those are your expectations at the time you request the quote. That way there is a meeting of the minds when you agree to get your car tuned and, generally speaking, everyone will be happy with the business transaction.

When requesting a quote, it is your responsibiltiy to be clear about what you want, and everybody will be happy.

Why withhold information on your expectations? It makes no sense unless you are trying to trigger a dispute for some reason.

Last edited by ttg35fort; 11-24-2008 at 05:44 PM.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:28 PM
str8dum1

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Both Sharif and JT took my car on the road to check the tune. Not so much road tuning persay, but good enough for the likes of a UTEC. If i dropped 3k on a FCON install and tune I'd want it to be a little better than my UTEC

ps- Jetpilot your sig is too big and worthlessly clogs threads!!!!
Old 11-24-2008, 07:34 PM
JETPILOT

Originally Posted by str8dum1
ps- Jetpilot your sig is too big and worthlessly clogs threads!!!!
Point taken... you also could have told me you like it and the boost gauge is cool and that shade of blue was your favorite color and then told me it was annoying you.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:36 PM
Sharif@Forged
Sponsor
Forged Performance

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Point taken... you also could have told me you like it and the boost gauge is cool and that shade of blue was your favorite color and then told me it was annoying you.
The little bottoms strip of your sig, with the several pics...is pretty cool if you ask me. But the color makes me feel like I am underwater!

Hey, are you going to The Run on the 14th? Sorry for the OT.

Quick Reply: japtrix (and other orlando tuners)