Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

Catch Can / Breather Filter Install (Lots of Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 11:59 AM
doug

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Catch Can / Breather Filter Install (Lots of Pics)

Ok after following some great instructions from you guys in this thread https://my350z.com/forum/forced-indu...lve-cover.html i set out today to redo my catch can.. and install the breather filter on the drivers side.. the K&N Breather filter is special order so i ended up with an APC one.. please don't kill me.. its the first APC and only APC product on this car.. and i was desperate and wanted to get all this **** done today..

ok.. the parts.. the bracket for the catch can i found at Home Depot.. anyone needs the part number let me know..

then this is what i had started off with after i did the catch can the first time.. as you can see the hose is a POS.. the location wasn't too bright either.. chalk that one up to rushing things

the tool kit

engine cover and strut bar removed

I didn't take the plenum full off.. just enough that i could reach the port to install the breather filter.. though all the plenum bolts were removed and all the hoses to the plenum

Vacuum Cap installed on Intake Port

Breather Filter Installed

Catch Can Installed

Where catch can plugs into intake manifold

Where catch can plugs into PCV Valve

Catch Can mount with bracket

Catch Can mount bolted up with Engine Cover and Strut Bar back on

I went ahead and changed my oil too.. didn't bother with pics of those.. everyone knows how to change their oil
Old 12-06-2008, 12:10 PM
XKR

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good Doug...But if you dont mind...could you also post pic's of the oil change
Old 12-06-2008, 12:11 PM
superchargedg
Damn Noobs

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the pic's cause im gonna do the same thing with the filter.One ? on the intake tube you have a rubber line coming out but were is that running to.I have the nipple on the intake tube running back to the valve cover.....you eliminated that right?
Old 12-06-2008, 02:47 PM
doug

Originally Posted by XKR
Looks good Doug...But if you dont mind...could you also post pic's of the oil change
oh i didn't take any pics.. but its pretty straight forward.. pull the drain plug... let it drain.. then remove the filter.. let it drain some more.. then run 1/2 QT through.. then run some oil over the rim of the new filter.. install new filter... then re-install drain plug.. then refil oil from the top

Originally Posted by superchargedg
Thanks for the pic's cause im gonna do the same thing with the filter.One ? on the intake tube you have a rubber line coming out but were is that running to.I have the nipple on the intake tube running back to the valve cover.....you eliminated that right?
its running to a vast host of vacuum lines.. that one seems to be going back to the boost controller
Old 12-06-2008, 03:14 PM
JETPILOT

Why did you install a breather on the drivers side valve cover? Just to do away with the hose going to the intake? De-clutter?
Old 12-06-2008, 03:27 PM
ToastZ

doug, what kind of symptom did you see which lead you to the conclusion of excessive crankcase pressure ?

Install looks clean, good work.
Old 12-06-2008, 03:44 PM
doug

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
Why did you install a breather on the drivers side valve cover? Just to do away with the hose going to the intake? De-clutter?
i was under the impression from the last thread thats where i was suppose to put it.. i took the hose off and put a vacuum cap on the other end thats attached to the intake tube

Originally Posted by ToastZ
doug, what kind of symptom did you see which lead you to the conclusion of excessive crankcase pressure ?

Install looks clean, good work.

first off i just want to say thanks for answering my questions.. i don't think i could have done it so smoothly without your help..

well the issues i were having start when i started seeing smoke when i came to stops on a hill.. and a little oil burning smell.. this was very noticable when i switched from regular oil to Rotella T-Sync 5w40.. first thing i was told was that my turbo's were toast..

One day i hit 12 PSI and i heard a pop sound.. i drove in vacuum all the way to my buddies house.. new it wasn't the motor because it drove fine.. then i noticed the dipstick had popped out.. so i started thinking maybe pressure... then i did the catch can the first time.. i usually am not in boost.. but i got into boost another day.. and then when i parked i noticed oil under the car.. notice the dipstick had popped out again ..

so i don't definatively know whats wrong.. for all i know it could be the turbo's.. it could have been the oil.. i'm trying Mobil 1 10w40 this time.. i havn't tried to get in boost.. too paranoid.. maybe another day.. right now i'm just tired from all the work today.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:04 PM
JETPILOT

You're not gaining anything from that change unless you do away with the PCV system.

You need to drill out the PCV valve removing the white valve inside. You need to cap off the PCV vacuum source on the intake manifold and vent the pax side valve cover to the atmosphere. What you did just did away with the hose o nthe rdiver side going from the vlave cover to the Greddy inlet. It still functions the same as far as crankcase ventilation is concerned.

Your crankcase is pressurizing causing the dipstick to blow out. You need to vent it as described above.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:12 PM
doug

Originally Posted by JETPILOT
You're not gaining anything from that change unless you do away with the PCV system.

You need to drill out the PCV valve removing the white valve inside. You need to cap off the PCV vacuum source on the intake manifold and vent the pax side valve cover to the atmosphere. What you did just did away with the hose o nthe rdiver side going from the vlave cover to the Greddy inlet. It still functions the same as far as crankcase ventilation is concerned.

Your crankcase is pressurizing causing the dipstick to blow out. You need to vent it as described above.
ahhh damn.. all that time wasted for nothing.. back to the drawing board.. i have an old PCV from when i changed it.. i can drill that ahead of time.. save me some time.. then i have to run to the auto parts store and get another Vacuum cap

so basically you're telling me to get rid of the catch can all together

Last edited by doug; 12-06-2008 at 04:14 PM.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:22 PM
JETPILOT

I'm not sure yet if you will need a catch can or not. I will be going to Sebring next Sunday and I will let you know after that. I will be hooking up a catch can to the pax side drilled out PCV and the exit of the catch can will be to the atmosphere. If I get no oil then you can just vent the PCV directly to the atmosphere and not need a catch can.

Under boost the only exit for crankcase pressure for bothe valve covers is the valve cover crossover and out the tiny hole in the drivers side valve cover breather. That's simply not enough. So drilling out the PCV allows the pax side valve cover to vent through it's own opening. You are effectively doubling the crankcase evacuation capacity.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:49 PM
doug

take some pics.. i want to see your setup
Old 12-06-2008, 05:26 PM
Blackbird CPV35

you should also have some sort of heavy duty check valve in place between the manifold and the pass side valve cover. The stock PCV valve looks too flimsy to be able to handle any sort of boost
Old 12-06-2008, 06:25 PM
JETPILOT

Originally Posted by doug
take some pics.. i want to see your setup
The car is apart now. I will post some pics to this thread on Friday.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:27 PM
RudeG_v2.0
でたらめ検出器

Sorry for the OT doug... But I noticed and was quite surprised to see that you aren't running a plenum spacer. Considering everything else you have done with your build, why not?
Old 12-06-2008, 09:49 PM
35Z

Question Coolent Issue

Is that coolent (antifreeze) in the lower plenum?
Old 12-06-2008, 10:16 PM
Sylvan Lake V35

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RudeG_v2.0
Sorry for the OT doug... But I noticed and was quite surprised to see that you aren't running a plenum spacer. Considering everything else you have done with your build, why not?
I wondered as well when I saw that? This is a good thread keep us up to date on the final product.
Old 12-07-2008, 04:46 AM
BriGuyMax
Turbo Whore

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cleanest engine bay evar!!!!

Doug...sounds like you've got significant blowby going on under boost. The catch can isn't going to help that situation too much.
Old 12-07-2008, 05:20 AM
Joe@Sage

Dude clean your engine bay so nastyyyyyyyyy.
Old 12-07-2008, 05:23 AM
doug

Originally Posted by RudeG_v2.0
my first ever mod was my GreddyTT Kit.. everything i did i went big.. i never did any smaller mods first.. so it never came on my radar

Originally Posted by 35Z
Is that coolent (antifreeze) in the lower plenum?
from the coolant hose when i removed it.. it spilled out

Originally Posted by BriGuyMax
Cleanest engine bay evar!!!!

my cousin said it was clean too..

Originally Posted by BriGuyMax
Doug...sounds like you've got significant blowby going on under boost. The catch can isn't going to help that situation too much.
faaaaaaaaaawkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk... i hate you guys damnit.. whats next
Old 12-07-2008, 05:25 AM
doug

Originally Posted by nismo0035
Dude clean your engine bay so nastyyyyyyyyy.
come clean it for me tough guy.. do you really think cleaning my engine bay is going to fix my blowby problem? otherwise shut up.. i have bigger problems than a clean engine bay

Quick Reply: Catch Can / Breather Filter Install (Lots of Pics)