Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

APS tuner kit w/High Flow Cats

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 10:18 PM
ghost30

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default APS tuner kit w/High Flow Cats

I'm kind of an FI noob so just bear with me.

Have had the APS tuner kit for about a week. I love it to say the least. But the gas smell has been bothering me. Wondering if there is a High Flow Cat that has proper fitment specifically for this APS tuner kit. I was interested in Fast intentions 300 cell metalic HFS, but the bolt pattern (flange?) on the APS 3 inch downpipe is different.

Anwyay, I'd like to be able to roll down my windows come spring and summer without choking. I don't have over 400 wheel.. I'm about 370whp at 9psi 350 tq on a DD. I figure I would'nt lose much with HFC's. I have a borla true dual exhaust, so im not overly concerned about power loss because I'm already being restricted anyway.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:15 PM
2004Black350z
Exhaust Whore

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

take off ur turbo kit and HFCs go back completely stock and then that will solve ur problem. u half to give a little to receive a little
Old 12-10-2008, 01:25 AM
ghost30

Is it really this necessary to be an @sshole? I've done research, all I'm asking for is a little help. If you don't have something constructive or helpful to say please don't say anything.

I already have one solution in the works from Function Tuned. I'd like to see what options I might have.

Last edited by ghost30; 12-10-2008 at 01:28 AM.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:47 AM
baileyrx

is the smell gas or exhaust?

normally even with hfc you dont really smell all that much exhaust

if its gas, there may be a leak somewhere!
Old 12-10-2008, 02:45 AM
0jiggy0

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

U didnt clarify in your post but im assuming you have test pipes now.
Did you try contacting the vendor you bought the kit from and ask them? Or email APS themselves.
Old 12-10-2008, 04:23 AM
VO...
Administrator

Received 2,747 Likes on 1,836 Posts

Keep it civil gents...
Old 12-10-2008, 05:27 AM
leeboyNY
Kimchi Eater

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I assume you have 2.5" test pipes. You probably have to go custom and weld in HFC to your 2.5" test pipes. Try to find 200 cell HFC, you should have no problem.. I remember Peter at APS was testing HFC on a 500WHP APS twin turbo G or Z with no problem. I might install 100 cell HFC next spring... I'm shooting for 600+whp BTW. 500+WHP tuned Benz E/SL55 AMGs and Gemballa Porches have HFCs on them.

Last edited by leeboyNY; 12-10-2008 at 05:31 AM.
Old 12-10-2008, 05:51 AM
captj3

This can be simple. Put back the 2.5" downpipes, then you can put in any type of cat you want. The next thing is not so simple find some place that can make a custom hfc using the aps 3.5" downpipes. That would work if there is enough room for it to fit which I doubt. You can also retune your car and lean it out a little if you can.
Old 12-10-2008, 07:12 AM
anotheraznguy

also if it is a fuel smell that you have.. you may not want to go cat's... you will clog them up and go through those cats quite often depending on how many miles you drive and how hard. normally the car should smell close to stock and then when you gun it that is when you will love the smells. also if you have open dumps as well close em that will help greatly.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:56 AM
ghost30

Ok thanks guys. Sorry for the short fuse.. I just got a little annoyed.

I'm running the 3 inch down pipes. I'm sure what I'm smelling is exhaust fumes. When I have my windows up, and close my AC to recirculate, I don't smell much of anything. But also, I assumed just due to the nature of down pipes that it was also contributing to the raw gas smell.

So, basically if I go to a 2.5.. I can put on any HFC? I thought that the HFC defeated the purpose of having the test pipe or down pipe in the first place. I was trying to call z1 to see if they sell an APS HFC that will fit directly to the turbos.

Anyway, I'm not giving up my turbo just because of the fuel smell, I understand give and take. But like I said, I can't roll down my windows anymore without my cloths smelling like fuel. Not really loving that so just trying to find the best or most practical solution.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:26 AM
bryan@Z1
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ghost30
Ok thanks guys. Sorry for the short fuse.. I just got a little annoyed.

I'm running the 3 inch down pipes. I'm sure what I'm smelling is exhaust fumes. When I have my windows up, and close my AC to recirculate, I don't smell much of anything. But also, I assumed just due to the nature of down pipes that it was also contributing to the raw gas smell.

So, basically if I go to a 2.5.. I can put on any HFC? I thought that the HFC defeated the purpose of having the test pipe or down pipe in the first place. I was trying to call z1 to see if they sell an APS HFC that will fit directly to the turbos.

Anyway, I'm not giving up my turbo just because of the fuel smell, I understand give and take. But like I said, I can't roll down my windows anymore without my cloths smelling like fuel. Not really loving that so just trying to find the best or most practical solution.
The APS HFC's are welded into 2.5" test pipes so they would not bolt up directly to the tuner kit piping. You would have to have a custom set built to fit that setup.

If you're getting an excess fuel smell / fumes from the exhaust that's a pretty sign that it's running too rich. That may be something that can be helped by retuning.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:30 AM
ghost30

Originally Posted by leeboyNY
I assume you have 2.5" test pipes. You probably have to go custom and weld in HFC to your 2.5" test pipes. Try to find 200 cell HFC, you should have no problem.. I remember Peter at APS was testing HFC on a 500WHP APS twin turbo G or Z with no problem. I might install 100 cell HFC next spring... I'm shooting for 600+whp BTW. 500+WHP tuned Benz E/SL55 AMGs and Gemballa Porches have HFCs on them.
It looks like I'm going to go custom, i.e. welding. I was really interested in the Fast Intentions Metallic 300 cell.

http://www.fastintentions.com/exhaus...s/IMG_3637.JPG

http://www.fastintentions.com/exhaus...sidebyside.jpg

I'm only running about 370 whp on a DD. For now I'm cool with 400 whp on stock block. The torque on this kit is amazing.
Old 12-10-2008, 09:56 AM
Glex25

The APS Tuner Kit comes with the same downpipe as the APS Extreme kit which mounts directly to the turbo's.

1) You will have to get the flange that mounts to a standard APS kit so you can mount a reg 2.5 HFC

2) FI 300cell metallic HFC are pretty good for FI applications

3) You will have to customize the HFC to accept a Waste Flange since the tuner kit has external wastegates mounted directly on the downpipes

4) another solution instead of modifying the HFC is having the Wastegate vent to atmosphere instead of recirculating it the way that APS originally designed the kit

I have the 3.5" downpipes that the new tuner kit comes with but I have the standard APS TT kit and have the Wastegate flange blocked since I'm not running external wastegates.

One option is to see if you can swap with someone who has a standard APS TT Kit which might be less costly than trying to make all that work. You would have to swap out headers, turbo and downpipes since the standard APS kit has internal wastegates.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:10 AM
ghost30

Originally Posted by bryan@Z1
The APS HFC's are welded into 2.5" test pipes so they would not bolt up directly to the tuner kit piping. You would have to have a custom set built to fit that setup.

If you're getting an excess fuel smell / fumes from the exhaust that's a pretty sign that it's running too rich. That may be something that can be helped by retuning.
It's possible that I'm running too rich. Seem like my tune is really good though. I'll ask. Thanks.
Old 12-10-2008, 10:14 AM
ghost30

Originally Posted by Glex25

3) You will have to customize the HFC to accept a Waste Flange since the tuner kit has external wastegates mounted directly on the downpipes
Yeah the external wastegates made things more difficult than I anticipated. So the solution is to weld these HFC's in. I think this will solve my issue.
Old 12-10-2008, 12:21 PM
Cass007
350Z-holic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Before you do anything you should wait for Dave to look at it again. I would be suprised if you are running rich at those dyno #'s from Dave's tune. Are you getting any CELs?
Old 12-10-2008, 01:02 PM
ghost30

Originally Posted by Cass007
Before you do anything you should wait for Dave to look at it again. I would be suprised if you are running rich at those dyno #'s from Dave's tune. Are you getting any CELs?
Yeah, I am getting the cylinder misfire code. I have to erase the code maybe every 3 days or so. Depends on how much I stop and start the car in a day. I thought rich equals safe tune?

Edit: I am running the borla true dual 2.25. So that's contributing to my lower whp numbers.

Last edited by ghost30; 12-10-2008 at 01:08 PM.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:04 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Sharif can help you out. Give Forged Performance a call. He put 200 cell metallic 4.25" cats into APS 3.5" test pipes for me. He said he was going to make a jig, but not sure if he had time to... The cats kill power, no matter what. They get rid of that nasty fuel smell though. I love my car 10x more since it doesn't smell like a gas station. Sharif said he doesn't smell anything that strong and probably thought it was a psychological disorder on my part, so I'm glad to hear that smell bothers other people also.
Old 12-10-2008, 01:13 PM
ghost30

Originally Posted by rcdash
Sharif can help you out. Give Forged Performance a call. He put 200 cell metallic 4.25" cats into APS 3.5" test pipes for me. He said he was going to make a jig, but not sure if he had time to... The cats kill power, no matter what. They get rid of that nasty fuel smell though. I love my car 10x more since it doesn't smell like a gas station. Sharif said he doesn't smell anything that strong and probably thought it was a psychological disorder on my part, so I'm glad to hear that smell bothers other people also.
So, what would be the "best flowing" HFC in my situation? 200 cell?
Old 12-10-2008, 02:10 PM
rcdash

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by ghost30
So, what would be the "best flowing" HFC in my situation? 200 cell?
Fewer cells = less restriction. Bigger diameter = less restriction. So yes, but the fewer the cells, the less effective it is due to less surface area and greater airflow, but we were able to get our hands on one that was OBDII compliant in all states (except CA).

Today I would also consider contacting Tony at Motordyne and ask about his midstream cat that he will be offering as an option with his new exhausts. Keeping test pipes after the turbos will help you keep your power by reducing backpressure immediately behind the turbo. Placing the cat further downstream will make it less effective since cats only operate well at high temps, but you could wrap the exhaust from the turbo back to keep the velocity and temps up.

This will mean less custom work for pipes near the hard to reach turbine outlet flange and probably better performance and less $$$. All around win. I wish it had been an option when I needed something...

Last edited by rcdash; 12-10-2008 at 02:13 PM.

Quick Reply: APS tuner kit w/High Flow Cats