Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

My review of the ATI Procharged 350z

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2003, 08:32 AM
djkern
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by jesseenglish
The biggest problem I have with the sound right now is not the whine, that is starting to grow on me. I've got this annoying sound that sounds like a bad bearing at around 1800 rpm. I'm still trying to isolate which pulley it's coming from. I called ATI about it and they said to check the SC impeller blades to make sure they're not rubbing against the housing. I really don't want to have to take the intake off again because then I'll have to take the bumper off. The good thing though is that they'll ship me a new one if it is the impeller blades.
seems like they are, at least, very customer oriented. if something goes wrong...they are willing to ship out new parts to fix it.

i'm glad i didn't jump and buy one of these when i first saw it. cause these reviews are totally changing my mind.

i think it'll wait another year and wait for everyone else to come out with a SC or a TT (by then the price will be far less)...and i'll do it then.

does the whine get any better? from inside the car, it's not terrible. but, from bonz's videos of the car starting with the hood open and closed...well, those are the videos that made me really start to dislike it. and the "flyby" shots...still sounded bad...and when he far enough away it sort of sounds like his car is backfiring.

as of now...the only thing i like about it are the looks and the numbers it puts out. but, when i hear it...oh god, i cringe!
Old 08-24-2003, 09:16 AM
jesseenglish

Centrifugal superchargers are generally louder than most others. I don't think the whine sound is going to get any better mainly because of the design of the the SC head. If it's the sound that's turning you off then I suggest you don't get it, but video and audio picked up by a microphone are no replacement for hearing it in person.
All of the people I've talked to about it that have heard my car love the sound I suppose they could be lying so they don't hurt my feelings, but I doubt it. Well almost all people like it, my wife absolutely hates it, but she's got a Dodge Neon, what the hell does she know.

Last edited by jesseenglish; 08-24-2003 at 09:19 AM.
Old 08-24-2003, 12:32 PM
ravaz

The whine isn't really that bad in person, the videos kind of make it sound bad, but in person, even with the hood up, it's not anything too terrible.
Old 08-24-2003, 05:11 PM
Dr Bonz
Charter Member #19

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

The whine is not bad. My car is not "backfiring" at all. The sound you hear when I decellerate is my tires "bouncing" on the REALLY crappy road. I was on the brakes pretty hard so as to avoid hitting any cars that might have been coming over that blind hill. I was at about 100 MPH as I "flew" by and the tire noise is what you are hearing there.

From INSIDE the car you can't hear ANY whine if the radio or AC is on.

Sorry about the semi-hijack there Jes. I just wanted to clarify that.
Old 08-24-2003, 06:12 PM
djkern
Banned

Originally posted by Dr Bonz
The whine is not bad. My car is not "backfiring" at all. The sound you hear when I decellerate is my tires "bouncing" on the REALLY crappy road. I was on the brakes pretty hard so as to avoid hitting any cars that might have been coming over that blind hill. I was at about 100 MPH as I "flew" by and the tire noise is what you are hearing there.

From INSIDE the car you can't hear ANY whine if the radio or AC is on.

Sorry about the semi-hijack there Jes. I just wanted to clarify that.
i guess i'd have to take a ride in one and hear it in person...cause all the videos out there make is sound like a$$.
Old 08-24-2003, 06:29 PM
GaryK

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the noise is the worst at idle. I pulled up to a friends house, said friend is not at all a car guy, and he says "dude, whats wrong with your car". So I guess that's what the average person is thinking. But I agree that it isn't as bad as it sounds in the vids. Most people actually think it sounds cool. When you're riding with the a/c or radio on, you don't even hear it.

BTW, 100% of passengers in my car have had to pick their jaw up off the floor after I give them a quick 2nd through 3rd or 4th pull. This thing feels fast, it pulls hard even in 4th.
Old 08-24-2003, 07:38 PM
djkern
Banned

Originally posted by GaryK
I think the noise is the worst at idle. I pulled up to a friends house, said friend is not at all a car guy, and he says "dude, whats wrong with your car". So I guess that's what the average person is thinking. But I agree that it isn't as bad as it sounds in the vids. Most people actually think it sounds cool. When you're riding with the a/c or radio on, you don't even hear it.

BTW, 100% of passengers in my car have had to pick their jaw up off the floor after I give them a quick 2nd through 3rd or 4th pull. This thing feels fast, it pulls hard even in 4th.
i'm not an average car person. i didn't just buy the z cause it was "cool". i just don't like how it sounds. i guess the videos don't do it justice....which is why i'll have to hear it in person to get a better feel for it.

also, even if i put this thing in...my friends supra will still kick my z's a$$. check out some pics (http://home.comcast.net/~flexysteve/ then click on car pics). one day....my z will be faster...it will....oh yes it will!
Old 08-24-2003, 07:45 PM
Wicked4u2c

Nice review, yes I have heard that the pre settings on the FMU or the ones that ATI recommends are very rich. Of course running rich is always safer than running lean. But you living in such high altitude cars tend to run richer.. So I could see why your A/F was pegged rich. Being to Rich doesn't also mean your SAFE. You can be washing your pistons... Another reason why you seem to be boosting a bit less is also elevation, where air is thinner.
Old 08-24-2003, 09:01 PM
jesseenglish

Originally posted by GaryK

Yeah, I could see how the average person would think that, but as soon as you say it's supercharged they're like "ohhh I see, bitchin man".

I had went to my local VW club meeting on Saturday and gave rides to a couple of the guys, I had one of my fellow VW gearheads giggling like a little schoolgirl after giving him the full treatment. It was pretty cool to see them impressed with a japanese car like that. It's pretty hard to do that, especially for vintage VW guys.

Last edited by jesseenglish; 08-24-2003 at 09:04 PM.
Old 08-25-2003, 07:32 AM
all_bark

my wife absolutely hates it, but she's got a Dodge Neon, what the hell does she know.
best quote on the whole forum!
Old 08-25-2003, 08:54 AM
ForceInduction

I digged this one...

"I had one of my fellow VW gearheads giggling like a little schoolgirl after giving him the full treatment."

Nice stuff Jesse!
Old 08-25-2003, 08:58 AM
jesseenglish

Yeah, and thanks for the great deal on the Supercharger, witout you guys I'd have been still stuck in the slow lane.
Old 08-25-2003, 09:19 AM
jesseenglish

Default Pics of my FMU settings

DISCLAIMER: In no way am I posting these as the proper way to setup your FMU. FMU settings may vary depending on installation, SC head irregularities and atmospheric conditions. Use these settings at your own risk. I am not liable for damage done to your car if you use the settings I'm posting here.

With that out of the way, here is a pic of my slider settings
Attached Thumbnails My review of the ATI Procharged 350z-mvc-013s.jpg  

Last edited by jesseenglish; 08-25-2003 at 09:36 AM.
Old 08-25-2003, 09:23 AM
jesseenglish

oops, see post below
Old 08-25-2003, 09:25 AM
jesseenglish

Default scale adjustment

DISCLAIMER: In no way am I posting these as the proper way to setup your FMU. FMU settings may vary depending on installation, SC head irregularities and atmospheric conditions. Use these settings at your own risk. I am not liable for damage done to your car if you use the settings I'm posting here.

My scale adjustment setting. It was hard to get an accurate pic but it's set somewhere around 11.5 - 12
Attached Thumbnails My review of the ATI Procharged 350z-mvc-015s.jpg  

Last edited by jesseenglish; 08-25-2003 at 09:37 AM.
Old 08-25-2003, 09:32 AM
jesseenglish

Another pic of the FMU.
Attached Thumbnails My review of the ATI Procharged 350z-mvc-022s.jpg  

Last edited by jesseenglish; 08-25-2003 at 09:38 AM.
Old 08-25-2003, 11:24 AM
Ag Z

My tuner Chris Joule of Joule USA is awesome and tuned this sucker up to a perfect 13:1 ratio in about an hour and a half of driving. Only cost me $75 to tune it.

The ATI settings will work, but are very rich in my situation. I'm at a high elevation so it probably has something to with that. I'd suggest bringing the first step up about 5% because mine was running a little lean on that one and super rich on the others.
jesseenglish

You are running the car at 13:1 AF under WOT conditions? On a FI car best power is around 11.5:1. Did the tuner run ATap and check for knock while he was tuning? How did know where the setup made the best power, I know they make a "laptop" dyno setup that you can use on the street to get close to a good tune. Laptop dyno site

I am interested in hearing about hard data vice seat of the pants feel.

As for the noise of the ATI gears, it grows on you, the first time I started my LS1 with a ATI on it I shut it right back down. I was sure it was eating itself. But after reading on a couple of message boards they all sound the same I fired it back up and love it now. Most people give it a look and don't ask.

The kit comes with a anti surge/bypass valve right? If so has anyone replaced it with a valve that does not recycle the hot air back into the blower intake? In the past those stock ATI valves have been a problem sticking in one position on other setups.
Old 08-25-2003, 02:18 PM
Fëanor

"The kit comes with a anti surge/bypass valve right? If so has anyone replaced it with a valve that does not recycle the hot air back into the blower intake? In the past those stock ATI valves have been a problem sticking in one position on other setups."

The bypass valve vents air post intercooler, which means it's actually dumping cold air back through the blower. Gas cools when decompressed, so anything vented after the intercooler brings it to near ambient will be lower than outside temp.
Old 08-25-2003, 02:44 PM
Z Monster

"The kit comes with a anti surge/bypass valve right? If so has anyone replaced it with a valve that does not recycle the hot air back into the blower intake? In the past those stock ATI valves have been a problem sticking in one position on other setups"

Perhaps a Bosch application from a Saab, Porsche or Audi may do the trick. There is an array of diaphragm based applications that run cheap for high boost singles and twin applications. I believe Turbo XS sells abrass piston H type valve that is load adjustable with washers, FWIW.
Old 08-25-2003, 06:59 PM
Ag Z

Unless ATI has changed their setup from other blower kits it routes compressed air back into the blower inlet between the air filter and blower.

I am using a vortech bypass to get rid of the ATI valve.

Is the MAF before or after the blower on the Z setup? I am guessing it's after the blower.

Quick Reply: My review of the ATI Procharged 350z