Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

AAM Billet Crank Girdle w/ Integrated Windage Tray

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2008, 07:51 PM
go-fast
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Z1 Performance
just going off pics from my engine build thread which had a good view of the stock girdle:

aside from material differences, this looks like it has much wider bridges at the bolt section, and increased clearance for a proper stroker crank
+1 but o.e. girdle doesn't need much material removed for a stoker.for a couple bucks you could add some diamond windage sceen to the o.e for the same effect.if $ is not the issue it's a nice piece,if your a diy'er it's a waste of cash.
Old 12-22-2008, 05:28 AM
InjectedPerf
Sponsor
Injected Performance

Depending on stroke, the stock girdle will require quite a bit of clearancing for the rods. 86.4mm you need to clearance a little bit but 88mm there is quite a bit of material that needs to be removed.

Originally Posted by go-fast
+1 but o.e. girdle doesn't need much material removed for a stoker.for a couple bucks you could add some diamond windage sceen to the o.e for the same effect.if $ is not the issue it's a nice piece,if your a diy'er it's a waste of cash.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:05 AM
go-fast
Banned

Originally Posted by InjectedPerf
Depending on stroke, the stock girdle will require quite a bit of clearancing for the rods. 86.4mm you need to clearance a little bit but 88mm there is quite a bit of material that needs to be removed.
i've built 88 mm motors before and did not think it was excessive.granted you have to take a chunk out,but i don't think it was to the point of compromising the part.

Last edited by go-fast; 12-22-2008 at 11:20 AM.
Old 12-22-2008, 11:08 AM
thom000001

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

stock girdle (bottom of my motor 3.5l) for comparo too.

Old 12-22-2008, 11:49 AM
QuadCam

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

who's stoker cranks are we talking about that need all the clearancing? there are a few different stroker cranks on the market now.....and some custom ones, too.
Old 12-22-2008, 12:00 PM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Here is a picture of the stock girdle that has been clearanced for a BC stroker, next to the Injected girdle which is a stronger unit and does not require clearancing.

Old 12-22-2008, 12:12 PM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Hal@IP
Here is a picture of the stock girdle that has been clearanced for a BC stroker, next to the Injected girdle which is a stronger unit and does not require clearancing.
Out of curiosity, was that stock girdle clearanced for an 86.4 or 88 mm crank?
Old 12-22-2008, 12:16 PM
IIQuickSilverII

Received 215 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Hal@IP

O NOES VENDOR HIJACK!

hal: looks good btw..
Old 12-22-2008, 12:23 PM
Dynosty
Vendor - Former Vendor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Honestly I do not remember. Most likely 86.4
Old 12-22-2008, 01:00 PM
Clint@Altered
Banned

Originally Posted by QuadCam
who's stoker cranks are we talking about that need all the clearancing? there are a few different stroker cranks on the market now.....and some custom ones, too.
The one in our pictures is the PE/BC 86.4 Crank.

Hal, I bought one of your Girdles (from Marty) about a year ago for a motor we were building for a Canadian customer. Nice piece - very heavy duty.

We recently had a customer request one with a windage tray for a semi-street car, so we took the opportunity to develop one.

For some, its a nice addition. And its a hell of piece of work. I don't plan on selling a lot of them - the Girdle was just one of the more interesting CNC pieces we've done lately, so I figured I post it. And if someone wants one, we'll make it for em
Old 12-24-2008, 05:06 AM
QuadCam

what happened to the stock windage tray? will it not clear the stroker counter weights?
Old 12-24-2008, 05:09 AM
Kwame

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

My 88mm BC crank required a lot of material removed from the stock girdle.
Old 12-24-2008, 05:47 AM
QuadCam

Originally Posted by Kwame@z1
My 88mm BC crank required a lot of material removed from the stock girdle.

which leads to my next question...............how short are the skirts on your pistons? with the stock pistons/ stock stroke, the skirt protrudes about .050 below the bottom of the cylinder at BDC.....and the counterweights are pretty close in there too. So, with these stroker cranks having larger counterwieghts too, how much shorter are the piston skirts than stock? they'd have to be significantly shorter since you are pulling the piston 6.6 mm (approx. .260") deeper in the bore.
Old 12-24-2008, 06:39 AM
Clint@Altered
Banned

Here are a coupe of JEs w/ BC Crank before clearancing. I don't have the pistons measurements readily available, but the pictures show the modifications we do to retain the oil squirters. The red marks on the piston show were we cut away for clearance. We machine off about maybe 5mm (I don't remember exactly) of the skirt in order to retain the squirters.

We have not done an out-of-the-box stroker from BC using the CP pistons - so I am not sure about clearance/measurements. We've been using the BC/PE cranks for 3.8/4.15 set-ups with JE pistons. LOL, maybe we're making it harder than it has to be. But we prefer JEs for our builds.

Anyway, thought you might find these pics interesting.

Name:  Diagram.jpg
Views: 687
Size:  50.7 KB

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 698
Size:  51.4 KB

Name:  IMG_1166.jpg
Views: 662
Size:  41.7 KB
Old 12-24-2008, 07:36 AM
QuadCam

clint,

thanks for the pictures. this motor has lots of stuff in a small space! even the stock pistons have a pretty high pin placement.....not leaving much room to move the pin upward in hopes of achieving a near stock rod ratio when going with a stroker. no way that's happening.

I don't know what rods companies are using with their stroker kits, but I wouldn't be surprised if the rods they use are in the 5.400" - 5.500" length. I'd be shocked if they were using anything close to the stock 5.680" length.
Old 12-24-2008, 07:39 AM
InjectedPerf
Sponsor
Injected Performance

They are shelf stock length rods.

clint,

thanks for the pictures. this motor has lots of stuff in a small space! even the stock pistons have a pretty high pin placement.....not leaving much room to move the pin upward in hopes of achieving a near stock rod ratio when going with a stroker. no way that's happening.

I don't know what rods companies are using with their stroker kits, but I wouldn't be surprised if the rods they use are in the 5.400" - 5.500" length. I'd be shocked if they were using anything close to the stock 5.680" length.
Old 12-24-2008, 07:59 AM
QuadCam

Originally Posted by InjectedPerf
They are shelf stock length rods.
wow! how high are the pin placements on the pistons? moving it up .130" for an 88mm stoke crank? that doesnt leave any room for fiddling with the 2 compression ringland locations. the stock locations are pretty stout, but some people like to really drop the ringlands for heavily boosted engines.