Notices
Forced Induction Turbochargers and Superchargers..Got Boost?

ATI Concern With A 5AT

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2003 | 01:07 PM
BlownG

Only mod on my car is the ATI proCharger. Don't know how it drove before it was installed. My car was purchased last month with procharger installed by the dealer. What ECU update are you talking about, factory or TS?

Thanks,

BlownG
Old 11-26-2003 | 09:02 AM
BlownG

FYI: I spoke with ATI tech yesterday and he told me they did no preproduction testing with a 5AT. They are aware of the problem, and said that it can be problem with other cars with AT's and it is usually taken care of by reprogramming the computer or modifying the AT, to adjust the shift points and firmness. When I pointed out to him that no one has a solution for this (that I'm aware of), he stated that they may have to take a look at it themselves. MAY? I can't believe they didn't test with an AT! FI with MT and AT have very different characteristics.

BlownG (and TickedG)
Old 11-26-2003 | 09:18 AM
ravaz

Well, I don't blame them for not testing with AT. Autos are known for crapping out with boost, their tranny's cant hold it that well.. I wouldn't boost an automatic car.
Old 11-26-2003 | 11:09 AM
whosdady

Originally posted by ravaz
Well, I don't blame them for not testing with AT. Autos are known for crapping out with boost, their tranny's cant hold it that well.. I wouldn't boost an automatic car.
I don't blame ATI but the above statement isn't true. Some of the fastest cars are autos. Especially at the strip. It is common knowledge that the automatic supra and corvette have a much greater advantage than a manual. For the record yes I drive an auto and yes it is my first sports car with an auto but this is off the topic.

On a side note it is nice to see that I am not the only one with the shifting problem. It looks like at least 3 others from this forum have it as well.

For those of you that didn't see the level 10 thread, it looks like there may be a fix. There is a hydorstatic mod they offer that eliminates lazy shifts. Sounds like it may be worth a try. I emailed them yesterday. I will post what I hear back.
Old 11-26-2003 | 11:21 AM
ravaz

Your right about the Supra/Vette autos and the track etc.. This car isn't a Supra or a Vette. But for the most part, most autos do have to get their tranny's built to handle boost. That right there is true. Do we know for the Z if it needs to be built? I guess not, but I guess we'll find out some day eh? Take for example, Audi S4. Car comes boosted from the factory. They offer all sorts of mods for the car, but don't recommend you using on a stock auto tranny, because it can't handle it, and it needs to be built. Just my opinion....
Old 11-26-2003 | 12:07 PM
GurgenPB
UltimateSleeper
Premier Member

Originally posted by BlownG
Only mod on my car is the ATI proCharger. Don't know how it drove before it was installed. My car was purchased last month with procharger installed by the dealer. What ECU update are you talking about, factory or TS?

Thanks,

BlownG
I was talking about the TS ECU. The PE kit will be perfectly tuned by the ECU not to have ay pinging issues AT THE CORRECT MIXTURE. I like this solution for obvious reasons: no need to try to 'fool' the engine into not knocking by richening up the hell out the mixture. The correct way is to backup the timing and leave the mixture at the most optimum setting (or a compromise of the two). Point being, not having to mess around with some non-native FMU approach to cure the problem. The car will run the closest to what it would (if not identical) if NISSAN comes out witht he kit (much like what it seems Dreamworks is actually doing - haveing the engine still managed by the ECU - not some FMY crap).

Also, well said aboutthe autos... many would say that autos ar an advantage - because of their torque multiplication properties at launch for the first 75 feet or so, the turbo lag will not be as noticeable... It is no accidentthat the dragsters have an AT - they need that torque multiplication to ge their adge on the dead starts...

Gurgen
Old 11-26-2003 | 12:15 PM
12SecZ

I got as reply from Level 10. I am going with Edge.

Last edited by 12SecZ; 11-26-2003 at 12:22 PM.
Old 11-26-2003 | 12:20 PM
GurgenPB
UltimateSleeper
Premier Member

12secZ... Awesome, those are the guys that did mine.... That guy Andre knows a whole lot about t/c's. Pick his brain -- you will learn a lot, The dyno will NOT show any added benefit though... But it will sure allow you to brake torque the car at launches all you want, especially if you add an at fluid cooler that I recommend. It is about 60 bucks and well worth the price....

gurgen
Old 11-26-2003 | 12:23 PM
12SecZ

Who makes the tranny cooler and what are the dimensions?
Old 11-26-2003 | 01:34 PM
GurgenPB
UltimateSleeper
Premier Member

Originally posted by 12SecZ
Who makes the tranny cooler and what are the dimensions?
Take your pick: http://store.summitracing.com/defaul...oth&part=b%26m

I chose the b&m (the first b&m on the list) 16,000 GVM (gross vehicle weight). I like this one because it opens up the valve ony when the fluid 'needs' cooling.

Gurgen

Last edited by GurgenPB; 11-26-2003 at 01:38 PM.
Old 11-26-2003 | 05:35 PM
daddy Z

I bet your going to blame ATI for the Automatic's not shifting right huh

Funny how your song and dance has changed.....

what did you mean by this quote I took from one of your previous post ?

"It's sad that ATI hasn't addressed this on here at all. I know they are watching. It's also sad that they know that the stock injectors are causing all these problems too, even with the FMU and pump, I know it for a fact that they do..."
Old 11-26-2003 | 05:56 PM
ravaz

I was being sarcastic you idiot lol

Last edited by ravaz; 11-26-2003 at 06:40 PM.
Old 11-26-2003 | 06:10 PM
daddy Z

I was being sarcastic you idiot lol

Oh, and for that post you quoted, I apologize. I was acting like MaxHax and crying and whining and jumping the gun, probably listened to what someone else fed me too... My fault!
that's OK you can just edit it like I noticed you do on a lot of your post LOL
Old 11-26-2003 | 06:10 PM
ravaz

edit what? i don't edit **** i edit for spelling

Last edited by ravaz; 11-26-2003 at 06:40 PM.
Old 11-26-2003 | 06:26 PM
daddy Z

edit what? i don't edit **** i edit for spelling you moron
go cry about your car
such name calling "idiot ..... moron"
it seems it's OK for you to attack everyone that says the least little thing negative about ATI, but boy do you get hot if someone points out your compliant.

I'm just glad I didn't blow my motor and after 2 month still don't know what happened!
Old 11-26-2003 | 06:37 PM
ravaz

I don't get hot. Nice try with that comment about not knowing what happened to my engine, guess what, I don't make all my info public. Good try tho I like that...
Old 11-26-2003 | 06:38 PM
daddy Z

I don't get hot. Nice try with that comment about not knowing what happened to my engine, guess what, I don't make all my info public. Good try tho I like that...
I'll play nice if you do
Old 11-26-2003 | 06:39 PM
ravaz

Alright done
Old 11-26-2003 | 08:33 PM
BlownG

Just a point on testing 5AT's vs. 6MT's. I test pre-production and maintenance release enterprise software and hardware for a large computer corporation. One of the most basic approaches to “system testing” (customer testing) is to setup an environment that will expose the most product failures and weaknesses. ATI tested with the system that would cause the least amount of problems (6MT). They should have developed the kit on AT’s and then adapted it to MT’s not the other way around. A reasonable assumption could be made that if it is working correctly with the AT, it would require fewer, if any, modifications to work with the MT. An even better approach would be to test all possible combinations of the platform that would cause a major impact on the systems functionality (AT and MT). They essentially made AT owners “system testers” for their product exposing them to unknown risks.

BlownG
Old 11-27-2003 | 04:06 AM
daddy Z

Originally posted by BlownG
Just a point on testing 5AT's vs. 6MT's. An even better approach would be to test all possible combinations of the platform that would cause a major impact on the systems functionality (AT and MT).

BlownG
I will be the last person to defend ATI but I know in the case of the Infiniti 3.5FX they did test the auto since that is all they had. I got to drive the prototype and although it didn't have the shifting problem it had no power compaired to my procharged Z. They do have experience with auto's and I think are aware of the problem with high boost and shifting

Quick Reply: ATI Concern With A 5AT